Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Those people are unvaccinated in the hospitals. Their fault. Nothing to do with boosted college kids.

6 Likes

There’re more vulnerable faculty/staff/students on each campus.

They can choose not to be so vulnerable by being boosted. If they are still medically fragile despite boosting ( few should be) then perhaps long term disability or a job change is needed.

7 Likes

Many of them are boosted, but they can still be vulnerable.

3 Likes

We are at the point where they have to make their own decisions. Do you think those students think the 99 other percent of students should have remote class for them?

8 Likes

Personally, I think students who feel vulnerable should be given the option of remote learning. Likewise, professors/instructors who feel vulnerable should be given the same option to teach remotely.

7 Likes

Many southern schools start pretty early and then get out early. My daughter at a private in Florida used to start about Jan 10 and get out the first week of May (often finals done in April). Many of the Florida state schools are done in April and begin the ‘summer’ sessions in May.

My daughter at Wyoming used to not start until after labor day but go right up to Dec 22 or so, but then not start again until the last week of Jan. Why? To avoid classes in Jan when it is really, really cold.

Where both systems get caught up is in sports. Daughter’s team made the NCAA tournament her jr and sr years but had to hang out for 2 weeks after school ended before the tournament even began. Schools that end in June have games during finals week.

Those wouldn’t be very good professors. Not sure how they would be connecting with their students.

They do have those remote options, at ASU and many other fine places which have long offered online learning. Great for some people, who really like how it works. Just not what my kid registered for in college for 2021-22

7 Likes

This does make sense that seasonal weather patterns in different regions have something to do with it. For sports, they only matter if the schools compete nationally (and not regionally), correct?

I wouldn’t judge them on that basis alone. Some of them are very good at teaching remotely.

You are deliberately forgetting the elementary school incident where a teacher infected many of the students, despite open doors and windows. No reason a college classroom would be any different in this respect.

3 Likes

Little kids weren’t vaccinated. Not the same.

2 Likes

Actually, boosted hospital staff are getting COVID-19 (presumably Omicron) and causing staff shortages when they cannot come to work while they have it (even though they may have mild or asymptomatic cases).

3 Likes

I thought none of you were not getting tested until Monday/Day 5? You could be asymptomatic positive right now.

2 Likes

The NCAA tournaments are national. My daughter was in Div 2 and for her sport there were schools mostly along the east coast but a few in the midwest and west were getting good enough to make the tournaments. For golf, there are schools in almost every state and time zone sending teams and individuals to the tournaments.

I actually preferred my daughter getting to finish her finals in April and then getting to play the tournament. She was living in an apartment by then so no moving in and out of dorms (some kids had to move out of their dorms and into a ‘summer’ dorm for 2 weeks). The NCAA gives the teams a stipend for meals (Who knew?) so she even got to eat for free.

Omicron easily infects vaccinated people, although vaccinated people are largely protected from more severe outcomes.

3 Likes

Duke had a fairly normal semester–lots of socializing, games, parties, eating indoors, etc. I do not really agree with the online classes to start either. I think it would make more sense to just move classes online for teachers who get it(And have to be out at least 5d). Omicron is definitely more contagious and vaccinated people everywhere are getting it , far more than delta (we have more medical staff out in the past week than we have this whole time–mild but still out until they meet the health care return rules–and we are all hearing this is the case in medicine all over right now!). Of course it is very very mild in vaccinated, but the cdc still requires at least 5d isolation for non-healthcare. Fac/staff/students all have to test to return to campus so my guess is the online until the 18th is anticipated large numbers of faculty and students who will need at least 5d isolation–so the preemptive move is online temporarily. Again, I don’t really agree, but I am seeing some of the reasoning as I think it over.

1 Like

Took rapids today. All negative so far.

10 Likes

All neg is great!

3 Likes