Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

There were meningitis outbreaks on college campuses and the response was vaccine mandates everywhere. With Covid, people are still fighting them.

9 Likes

Presumably there are high risk students at your D’s school. It would be so interesting to talk to them and compare how they feel about their college’s Covid rules versus a high risk student at a school with stricter protocols. Hate to say it but those answers might be swayed by politics.

2 Likes

My son lives off campus this year (he was on campus last year in a townhouse where they were allowed 10 guests), but the majority of upperclassmen live in campus housing. Living off campus this year has no bearing on his social life. The parties he goes to are in on campus housing (most sophomores-seniors live in townhouse style campus housing) or to off campus bars. However, as a fall D1 athlete, he didn’t even have the opportunity to do much “partying” as he had games/was traveling every weekend until Thanksgiving.

1 Like

So parties were allowed in campus townhouses during 2020-2021. Wow! See that was not happening at Bowdoin. No parties or get togethers were really allowed at all during that whole school year.

1 Like

@homerdog, I mistyped, they could have one guest per resident, so eight people max in addition to the residents. Not really “parties” going on. My son and his roommates typically hung out with another townhouse of girls. They were not going to or having parties last year.

1 Like

That’s nice though. And, for kids his age, he already had a group of friends to hang with. For freshmen, this was tougher.

1 Like

Well said, mine is having a fantastic “traditional large university” experience. I remember when us 21 parents where saying that a schools’ COVID policy was very important to us for the final decision. I said that being as an AUTO merit chaser, we did not have that luxury. I am happy D ended up where she did.

5 Likes

I don’t disagree it was tougher on freshmen. My initial post was in response to your statement that juniors were mourning what they thought college would be.

1 Like

@homerdog my daughter went to a small Lac with 1300 students. They had to live 3/4 years on campus but off campus was like 1-2 blocks away
 Lol. Her classes were largely discussion and yes that suffered. But she found a way to enjoy herself with her friends. They went on hikes to study. They actually had a boat house and took out kayaks with her friend group and studied on the water on nice days. I went out once to experience it. Can’t believe they actually did this
 . Lol
 My point is they found ways to deal with it during less then ideal situations. . She nor my son had a typical graduation. But she got together with friends (their bubble) and made food and drinks and had a ball during their pre filmed graduation. We flew my son’s girlfriend in as a surprise to him to be at our home during his remote graduation. His last 1.5 year’s was remote. Totally less then ideal. But he and his friends were all able to become creative and actually solve some issues to move forward.

The sky isn’t falling everywhere. When I talk with kids on campus they seem to be OK. When I talk to their parents
 Not so much

Miley Cyrus, of all people, last night summed it up nicely
 . “We’ve all learned how to expect the unexpected, and rather than see it as a problem, let’s see it as an opportunity.

7 Likes

Ha I think parents not doing well because we are writing the checks for experiences that do not match what we agreed to pay for.

7 Likes

My junior is in an LAC in southwestern Michigan. The only time they went fully remote was after spring break freshman year. Sophomore year was on campus with a mix of in person, hybrid and remote classes, mask mandates, lots of testing etc. Fall of junior year was fully in person, with an indoor mask mandate and surveillance testing was limited to unvaccinated students. We’re waiting to see if there are any changes for spring semester but have not yet heard of any changes. So while it’s been imperfect, it hasn’t been too bad. It helps that most of the students live within a day’s drive so they can isolate at home if needed.

My D is in grad school in Philly, living off campus in an apartment with her fiance. So her experience is similar to the commuter experience described by @ucbalumnus. She moved to Philly 2-1/2 years ago for a job, so she has an established network of friends there, both in her cohort and outside of school. Her Fall classes were in person and it looks like spring semester will start remotely. While that’s disappointing for her, she isn’t too worked up about it. The City of Philadelphia has its own indoor mask mandates and requirements to show proof of vaccination at restaurants. D and her fiance cancelled their NYE plans and are fixing almost all their own meals at home in their apartment anyway.

1 Like

My kids’ college experiences are their experiences, not mine. I think it’s one thing to not want to go back to fully remote teaching, but other than that, my kids are at/have gone to colleges in three different parts of the country. Each is having/had a different experience than each other, and all of them are quite different than mine was or even dh’s (he’s a service academy grad), irrespective of the pandemic.

There was no way for me to predict what might happen when they left for college and whether any single event might alter their college experience. I’m fortunate that my kids have appeared to be quite resilient in spite of everything. I tried very hard for my own kids to make sure I did what I could to help them deal with all the hardships they faced rather than focus on them missing out on some sort of preconceived notion of what their “college experience” should be.

I realize many kids are suffering from anxiety and depression and agree that going back to remote classes is not a good thing.

8 Likes

That’s good. And we spoke frankly to S19 about the semester where his grade wasn’t even allowed to be on campus and he agreed to take a gap semester. During that semester, he felt good about his choice but now he feels even better about it and has no hesitation to do it again if we knew up front there would be a very Covid-affected semester coming up. Unfortunately, for this spring, he has to make a decision on imperfect info and will just hope omicron flies through quickly. I did read a number of stories that say omicron should peak in mid Jan now and Maine is already on the downswing.

Our S spent his last almost 2 years taking remote classes. While not the best he got the education but not all the experiences we had hope for. But I think the education is the most important part, he has plenty of time to have new and exciting experiences as he starts his career

Lol. Maybe that’s the point
 Lol. I can’t tell you how thrilled we are to be done with the checks
 Lol

I wish everyone a better year then the last one

1 Like

Very well said and agree.

The thing is that the experiences are of equal importance to us and to our kids. College isn’t trade school. Building relationships with fellow classmates and professors will help the kids their whole lives and deepen their learning experience too. Nurturing relationships like that has proven more difficult.

9 Likes

My oldest son’s hs senior year went virtual suddenly in March of 2020 just like almost everywhere else. It was certainly less than ideal but given the circumstances it made sense. Not a fun way to end a high school experience.

Approaching the start of his freshman year at our state flagship he was informed that instruction would be virtual. He made the mature decision that it wasn’t worth it for him to be on campus, alone in his dorm room taking classes remotely. He chose to do his freshman year from our home instead. It wasn’t ideal but it made the most sense on many levels. I was certainly glad to not have to pay room and board for an inferior experience.thst my son chose to not participate in.

This past semester the instruction was in-person and things were mostly normal. My son gladly went to campus, stayed in the dorm with roommates and had a great start for his sophomore year. We’re not sure exactly what spring semester will bring yet but hopefully it will be as close to normal as possible again. Omicron started flying through campus in the last days of finals. Perhaps it will mostly blow through our area before classes start up again in the last week of January. Many of his friends have recently tested positive. He is boosted and even with direct exposure to now symptomatic friends he has tested negative multiple times.

I think spring semester will be a challenge for many areas. Omicron is such a different animal. I hope all of our kids have the best experience possible. Hopefully colleges can make decisions early on and give students a chance to make choices that fit their individual needs/desires.

6 Likes

I agree, but it is what it is. Thankfully, our S was able to finish his classes with no issues and then choose from a handful of outstanding job offers. The friends he made in his pre-covid years remain strong.

So, if your experiential options are slim better to focus on academics and future options.

1 Like

Pandemic is always unpredictable so we have to operate on imperfect information. We all have to make the best out of a bad situation in a pandemic. For a student, it’s a valuable lesson to learn how to adapt. Like @Rivet2000’s son, my S took mostly remote classes for nearly two years, but I don’t think he missed a beat in terms of his education. He took all the classes he intended to take. He interacted with several professors frequently and remotely on research projects and his thesis and published papers. He even did internship remotely and concurrently with classes (and he’s still doing it now and will continue until he graduate).

He certainly would have preferred being physically with his friends more frequently during that period. They used to go out on most weekends before the pandemic. But I somehow get the sense that they cherish their relationships even more as they get back together again. The pandemic isn’t going to last forever. The Omicron wave is intense but likely short-lived. A few weeks of remote learning or grab-n-go meals aren’t that big a deal, IMO. His college offers, pre-pandemic, an experience outside of academics as good as any, but that wasn’t our reason to send him to that college.

3 Likes