Colleges with access to therapy dogs

Volunteering at a local shelter is meaningful way to spend time with animals who need love and care.

10 Likes

Both Colorado State and University of Minnesota have clubs where you can actually help to raise service dogs.

4 Likes

Yes! And the Syracuse honors program has their very own dog, Butters :heart:

2 Likes

Paws and Relax at UNH - they can also request a dorm visit.

There are many colleges that allow therapy/support pets, too. Some have dorms specific for that. (MIT has a dorm with cats… not to get off topic into a debate about cats v. dogs…)

3 Likes

I made a note of this feature when researching for my spreadsheet. Other than UNM, though, I don’t have specific links to back up my notes. But I assume they’re all valid still:

University of New Mexico has two pet-friendly dorms:
https://housing.unm.edu/living-on-campus/housing-options/pet-permitted-residence-hall.html

Students at Southwestern, in Georgetown, Texas, apparently care for a feral cat colony.

Trinity, San Antonio, has “campus cats” cared for by a student club.

Dickinson has service dog training.

Eckerd is pet-friendly.

3 Likes

This is great! I am glad to hear so many have them.

She does not want to have her own dog - just wants to visit :). And I personally have no desire to have a dog, so would not encourage her to if she was still living here, even just at breaks and summers.

UMass Amherst has the Paws Program that “connects students to therapeutic animals to reduce stress and improve overall wellbeing.” They also offer weekly therapy dog sessions at the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health.

https://www.umass.edu/studentlife/wellbeing-safety/center-health-promotion-chp/peer-health-education/paws-program

1 Like

Richmond has a therapy dog on campus regularly - at new Well-Being Center (which is gorgeous!). I don’t know anything about their engineering program.

3 Likes

They don’t have an engineering program.

1 Like

Wash U St Louis has 2 brand new 5 mos old black labs; we got to meet them last month during campus tour and were told that they are being trained to be therapy dogs. They are named Bear and Brookie and both are absolutely adorable.

4 Likes

UofSC has some plus Honors College has its own. Plus a therapy bunny😊

4 Likes

The VT therapy dogs are the best!

Also - the local police have a community partnership with a therapy pony, named Ringo, who is very popular with students and good for hugs!

Ringo the Patrol Pony is ‘mane’ attraction at Virginia Tech (roanoke.com)

1 Like

https://www.union.edu/health-services

Union College in NY. The Health Services team have trained their own dogs as therapy dogs and bring them to campus. Students can schedule walks and play with them. The campus is dog friendly for faculty and staff and there are many other dogs around campus.

2 Likes

And the awesome Hokie moms who come to campus a couple times a semester to give free hugs & snacks :two_hearts:

Hokie moms open their arms to students who need a hug | VTx | Virginia Tech

And don’t forget Cheesy Nights!! Yum!

1 Like

My cousin goes to Union College (for engineering!) and she’s told me that students can basically “rent” out therapy dogs from health services, as long as the dogs get returned by the end of the day. It’s also an open campus, so there are lots of people from the town walking their dogs. She’s also said that professors sometimes bring their dogs, too!

5 Likes

That’s really cool!

Centre College in Kentucky has a German professor who brings her dog all the time to campus and she regularly will camp out in front of campus buildings so students can have a fun stress-reliever, especially during midterms and finals.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.