Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

The only bad thing my son has said about his college is the day he called me last week and said “It is cold as ****. I’m not acclimated to this kind of weather!” Of course I mentioned that Colorado was even colder and he said “But Mom I love Fort Collins”. Then he said if he could move everything from Kansas State, the campus, teachers, students, atmosphere, classes, vet school etc and plop it all right where Colorado State is he would be in heaven!

Texas Tech definitely moved down due to the weather the day we were there. We are used to heat and humidity but that day was brutal. I couldn’t even make it through the tour and had to sit and let him finish it himself! the campus was so spread out it was hard to get anywhere. K-State is more compact and everything within walking distance except a couple farm units which are still really close.

@pantha33m its funny we are from NOLA (new orleans) my senior and junior have no desire to go back.

Seems to be that common theme if you grow up around the school you just dont want to go there.

Tulane is great MD buddy and 3 engineers went there.

@hannuhylu Of course! We live minutes from Penn, Drexel, Villanova, Temple, Haverford and Swarthmore so those were off the list from the start.

^^^^^
So true :slight_smile:

Leaving home is one of the major benefits of going to college.

@Parentof2014grad Thank you for the description of Northern Arizona. It is nice to see a review of a different school.

1 Like

@wis75 Off the topic of the thread – but I would argue from experience that one can have a great experience close to home as well. We looked up and down the east coast and my S ended up at a college that was about 20 minutes away. It was a great school, a wonderful fit for him in every way, and he got a really generous merit scholarship. Before he accepted the offer, we all agreed to treat him like he was hours, not minutes away. As parents we promised to never “pop by” or expect him home for minor things and he promised to not use being close to home as a crutch (ex. no stopping home for laundry, dinner etc.). He lived on campus for 4 years, had a wonderful and full college experience, and we pretty much only saw him during school vacations. He grew up in the suburbs and spread his wings during college in a big city. No regrets at all. (and FWIW he did go to grad school halfway across the country to the best fit school for his field of study ).

UC Santa Barbara was not off the list for my son, but it did move down since it is 7 minutes from home and he had already taken classes there during HS. He would have lived in a dorm if that was his decision. We have a number of friends whose kids attend there and live on campus or in the adjacent apartment community. They also say the promise not to “pop by” is important, but their kids do bring laundry home.

1 Like

My dd is happy at U South Carolina and is ok with the heat, but we visited last weekend and the heat/humidity was too much for me!

@gusmahler I am surprised your D didn’t like Georgetown campus because I thought it was rather quaint and quiet, somewhat removed from the hustle and bustle of Wash DC. I rather didn’t like George Washington campus because it didn’t feel like a real campus. What specifically did your daughter not like about Georgetown campus?

Going 8 miles from home put me in a whole new world. Choices were limited by finances but thank goodness I was able to live on campus instead of commuting- the bus rides with transfers would have taken close to an hour- or more. Hard when you grow up close to a top tier school. Was NOT my top choice at all.

@websensation D19 noted the exact same thing you did, GW is more urban and is in the middle of the hustle and bustle of DC. That’s what she liked about it and what she didn’t like about Georgetown.

@gusmahler Interesting. Just goes to show you people have opposite reactions to the same observations. Your kid really would have hated Cornell then because it’s far removed from the hustle and bustle. I went to GW law school myself and thought that GW is one of best law schools if you want to work at a law firm during the day in between classes, but I did not like the campus. I actually started working as a freshman at law school to take advantage of its location.

Lol, D19 is actually interested in applying to Cornell. But solely because I applied there and was rejected*. And she is tempted to try to get accepted just to see if she can. But I think that writing extra essays just to show up her dad seems like a good idea now, not so much when she’s writing a bunch of application essays.

*She’s too smart for her own good. When she asked me if I applied to any other colleges besides the one I went to, I said that I applied to Cornell, but decided not to go. Her next question was, “did they even accept you?” To which I had to answer, “that’s why I decided not to go there.”

That’s hilarious. A little reminiscent of when my high school friends told me I was going to Northwestern for engineering instead of UIUC because I couldn’t get in to the engineering program there. I had to intent to go there yet I applied just to prove I could get in. My parents made me pay for that application since I wasn’t really even considering going there. :wink:

I bet a lot of kids still apply to schools just to see if they can get in …even if they can’t afford it or have other reasons that they would not go. We won’t let that happen with S19, though, and I have a feeling that his application costs are going to be a hunk of money since we’re doing some merit searching. I don’t want to spend any money on an application “just for yucks”.

S19 visiting Macalester and Carleton with my husband in two weeks. I will definitely post a report!

For the son, WashU went way up after his visit. Didn’t know why at the time since he visited in August when the weather in St. Louis gets rather humid. The school just clicked with him for some reason and he got a good vibe from it.

He would have been happy with his previous favorites (BU and Tufts). Mom tried convincing him to apply to Cornell ED and USC RD but he heard horror stories about upstate New York weather from friends who went to Cornell and he didn’t care for Los Angeles. And for him Berkeley was was off the list despite being the Asian family’s dream school. He was there numerous times for the California Cup quiz bowl contest and just hated the city and the area in general.

For my S18, USC moved up the list. Went to the Viterbi presentation. CalTech moved down the list. Very small campus and student body. Plus, too STEM focused for him. He wants a broader experience.

@usma87 -

Did this surprise you about CalTech?

@homerdog is your s19 stopping by St. Olaf when visiting Carleton? Great merit there.

We found out early on in visiting central Texas colleges that a very small LAC is the best fit for my senior daughter. It is unlikely we’ll qualify for much need based aid so all of the LAC’s we’ve visited were picked for two criteria 1. High merit based aid, and 2. D decreed that she will not live anywhere that has “real” winters (and yes, I really tried to convince her otherwise). Colleges we’ve visited:

I should preface this by saying I had done a lot of reading about most of the schools in advance so we were more looking for the “feel” of the school. Whether D could see herself there for four years.

Texas A&M - Realistically it’s too big a school for her, but it’s our financial safety school, and she’s got automatic admit. My brother graduated from A&M, so there’s a familiarity with it. D conceded that if she had to go to a big school, she would be OK at A&M. She’ll apply to the honors college. We live just outside Austin and she flat out refused to even do a tour at UT, which I was OK with. The one odd thing about our visit was the admissions talk. It was wildly discouraging. The admissions person basically told the group that if you aren’t automatic admit and have to go through the holistic review, then count on not getting in, or at best being offered one of the alternative routes into A&M. She almost seemed to be discouraging people from applying.

Trinity University - D’s top choice. We’ve visited twice, once for a regular visit, and then once for one of their preview days. While, for us, Trinity is one of the less attractive campuses we’ve seen, everything else about it is phenomenal. D is science oriented and we got to spend about an hour in the brand new science building. A professor invited us into his lab and showed us around and told us about his students who work in the lab with him. We ate in the cafeteria and liked it. The freshman dorms are really nice. Students seem hardworking but also casual and easygoing (which describes D). It’s far enough away from home (about 2 hours) that she’ll feel she’s away from home, but has the advantage of an easy drive for me getting her there and back.

Southwestern University - We’ve also visited here twice. I really like this school! Beautiful campus, beautiful town. Decent dorms. D likes it also, but would want to do an overnight and more research before making a decision. We didn’t get a good feel for the science facilities on either of our visits. During lunch on the preview day, a Kinesiology professor gave a talk about some cool projects his students have worked on and what a couple of them have gone on to do professionally. Other professors sat at the tables with us and visited after the talk. The President of the the school gave a welcome talk in the morning (which was a first for us). He was charming and really, really funny. The school has a very homey, down to earth vibe. Ditto on distance. Closer to home than Trinity, but far enough away that she’ll still feel away. Easy drive.

Rhodes - Moved down on the list after visit. The campus is beautiful, but interestingly the dorm room we saw was the grimmest dorm we’ve seen on all our visits. With the exception of the dorm room, the campus seemed to have a little more affluent feel then most places we’ve visited. While there is nothing wrong with that, none of us (me, D, and her 15 y. o. sister) really felt at ease on the campus. Not crossing it off the list, but a second visit would be needed if they offered a financial package that was to good to pass up. There are some non-stop flights from Austin to Memphis, so travel wouldn’t be to onerous.

Hendrix - Biggest surprise of our summer road trip. We all loved this school. Campus is close to the charming historic downtown Conway. The campus is heavily treed and really beautiful. My younger daughter commented after our admissions talk that it felt like we were sitting and talking in someone’s living room (which for us is a plus). The young woman who gave our tour was obviously loving her time at Hendrix. Hendrix has a full ride scholarship competition that we expect D to be invited to compete in. Flights between Austin and Little Rock are not awesome and it’s about an 8 hour drive.

Centre - Moved off the list after visit. This was one of those schools that looked like a perfect fit on paper, but 1/2 way through the campus tour D whispered to me that she won’t even apply. That took care of that.

Baylor - Moved off the list after visit. It has religious requirements, which is a no go for D unless there are factors that greatly outweigh D’s distaste for religious requirements. Baylor didn’t have that.

D has applied to A&M (already got admit), Trinity, Southwestern, Hendrix, Rhodes, Rollins (we’ll visit in Nov) and Emory. Emory is a bit of a reach, both financially and admit wise. Probably won’t visit unless D is admitted with a doable financial package.