Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

My D’s Thoughts:
Up -Holy Cross. Loved the vibe and the campus (tour guide was great. Info session was fine. 3 years ago, info session convince my older D not to apply
Villanova - school spirit came through on tours (yes we went twice). Loved the campus and location.
UMass - liked much more than anticipated.

Same - UVM - liked a lot, and expected to.
Providence - she had concerns about the campus, and still had concerns after tour - just found campus unappealing

Down -
American - just couldn’t see herself there
Williams - tour guide was so pompous, my easy going D wanted to leave the tour
Dickenson- too isolated
Franklin and Marshall - too isolated
Lehigh - not enough emphasis on liberal arts

Up then down
Lafayette - really liked it on first tour/info session, went back for “Leopard for a day” and was completely turned off. They gave her a map and sent her off to class without a student guide. I’ve never seen that at any other school either of my Ds applied to. The students in the class didn’t welcome her - probably didn’t know what she was doing there, as professor was late. Only good point was student interviewer - he was delightful

@cloudysmom do they have sorority rush coming up? if so she might want to give it a try even if she thinks about transferring. i think it would make her time there more fun and satisfying, and it can give her what the clubs weren’t able to do

@Beenthere22 Interesting that you say you’ve never seen a school send a student to sit in on classes without a student guide. We’ve never had a school provide a guide. All the ones my kids did so far just set you off on your own.

@citivas Same here!

@citymama9 They do but she needed to have a rush advisor and decided too late she might be interested. She swore up & down she would never join a sorority & I was shocked she was considering it but I think it would be good for friendships but I think its too late.

My kid got sent off to an environmental science class at Sewanee with no guide; this was on an overnight when she was just a sophomore. Sink or swim. She liked it just fine.

@citivas and @cloudysmom - II guess it is all a matter of expectations. My D assumed she would have a host, as she had one at other schools, and her sister volunteers as a host at her own college. I can’t tell how much that turned her off as opposed to her not getting a great feeling from the students. The first visit was over the summer, and we had a great tour guide, not so great for second visit. Went from ED contender to no application.

Since these schools have been mentioned recently:

Note we visited about 5 years ago.

St Olaf- Down. Nothing really wrong/bad but S thought it was nice but nothing special. Did not apply.
Carleton-Down. Campus was lovely, but tour guide was too quirky for S (and he attended a HS with a lot of quirky kids so his tolerance is high). Dd not apply.
Macalaster- Up. Really liked everything about it- the people, the campus, etc. Was accepted but chose another school.

Done! Made it to the end of this fascinating thread! Now stop posting so I can return to my life. My wife thinks I’m a loon for spending every waking hour reading this thing. Time for me to contribute. So much to write though…

@OCDaddy Welcome to the dark side.

@cloudysmom Hope your daughter has a great second semester. I live about 10 mins from UR and love that school. Couldn’t convince any of my kids to stay in town for college, but it’s stunning and has so much to offer. Usually kids find their footing 2nd semester, especially when they start to focus on a major. Best of luck and go Spiders!

BTW - after spending considerable time at programs there - W&M and W&L off any list.

@mclmom can you elaborate on your W&M experience?

I think DC found W&M too insular and kids too similar.

@homerdog If it helps, my DD was in love with W&M. mclmom is right though, the kids are similar, I think there was diversity but they were all still the same kind of kid, it seems. DD did a 3 wk summer class there and came to love it. Not a ton to do there and I assume Colonial Williamsburg gets old but she loved it and got denied so a huge heartbreak. Its a really gorgeous school and the sense of history there is awe inspiring.

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Please stay on topic. I split several posts into a new thread on the Richmond forum.

It’s natural for discussions to spring up from this thread, but we ask that you start a new thread to explore the topic instead of hijacking this one.

Can relate to this issue. Son had been very interested in UR until he saw that, despite the name, campus was definitely not walkable to any kind of downtown. Richmond is a great city, though, so we were happy we made the trip and had a chance to enjoy it.

^ Same here - DD applied to UR and was admitted but was turned off by the way that the campus was too isolated to Central Richmond. She had the same issue with Wake Forest and Duke.

We were all over the map, literally and figuratively, looking at schools in very different places and very different in culture, purpose, approach. My son didn’t know what he wanted or liked so I showed him a lot of different stuff. (We started early.) This helped narrow the focus. I will say I’d probably do it differently given how expensive our trips became. I’d probably help him narrow some of the broad categories – size, Univ. vs. LAC, etc. – by visiting schools within a driving radius and only after making some of those choices would we range further afield. Plus it sucks to go fall in love and then get rejected. Also wanted to interject that all the schools on our Down list are fantastic institutions and are undoubtedly places that others see and fall immediately in love with the place. But hey, I didn’t start this thread. I’m just playing along.

Down
U. Chicago – we saw it in the dead of winter and it was cold and bleak. Turns out Chicago is windy and cold as balls in February. Who knew? Despite that the campus is enchanting. Students and faculty who spoke were extremely impressive. Definitely picked up on the intense vibe though. Yikes. Didn’t strike us as a very happy place. This was our first tour and as if talking directly to us the Director of Admissions started with “relax, you’ll get into a college and it will be okay. Might be here, might not. But it’ll be okay.” That won some points. Location in/near a great city like Chicago was a huge plus.

Carleton – campus didn’t win us over. I think we’re in the cohesive architecture camp and this was a little all over the place. Very impressed with the students we met. Big throbbing brains and very friendly. We got nary a whiff of academic or intellectual arrogance. Just a bunch of nice, extremely bright and hard-working kids. Our local alumni interviewer was also fantastic. Much more convenient to downtown Northfield than St. Olaf.

Hamilton – Obsessive detour from a business trip (without my son, though by this point I knew what he did and didn’t like) and mostly a drive-through without a tour, so not at all fair. Very nice facilities but didn’t love the campus. Could be the architectural schizophrenia again. Wasn’t a great day weather-wise and central NY in the winter isn’t the sunniest place. I left thinking I might see it a second time and love it. But I only saw it once and it didn’t resonate.

UC Berkeley – Campus was a mixed bag. Loved the location adjoining a cool and decent-sized college town. Not ugly but nothing remarkable about the campus and collectively not particularly attractive. Our tour guide was very impressive. Son didn’t love the idea that if he wanted to change majors that it could be next to impossible getting into certain disciplines. Struck us as a fantastic place if you already were dead certain about your field of study. Having SF so close doesn’t suck though.

Swarthmore – nope, not feeling it. Beautiful campus and great location on the rail but the students all looked so stressed and unhappy we couldn’t wait to get out of there. Very much respect the kind of intelligent, driven person who could thrive at Swarthmore but my son (who is a serious student) felt like he’d be walking into four years of hell. We expected a school of this caliber to be intense but this was an entirely different level.

Same
College of Wooster – campus and town were okay. There’s a little bit of crumbling roughness here and there and the town seems like a place going south. Maybe I’ve projected that after learning of the loss of a major employer in town, but it seemed a bit vacant, a little too large for what’s there and – like the college – crumbling at the edges. Fairly walkable from campus. Great athletic facility. And this might sound picky but the black and yellow everywhere started to feel oppressive. Church in the middle of campus is stunningly ugly and distracts from an otherwise attractive look. Cafeteria food was rough. Have to say, the faculty and administration are so passionate about their school we found ourselves really responding. Even the charter bus driver was all-in. These people love their school and it shows. CoW is the little engine that could. Very impressed with the IS thesis program, though as the class my son attended did not strike him as particularly rigorous and he ended up being the most vocal “student” in the class.

Notre Dame – Impressive campus. They’ve managed the straddle of modernization and preservation very nicely. Football stadium and cathedral are jaw-dropping. We liked the message regarding religion too. We’re not at all religious but my son didn’t emerge feeling that it would be a problem for him, rather another subject where he’d learn something. South Bend was pretty crappy though. All in all a fabulous place but we expected fabulous so it didn’t move up or down.

Up
Colgate – saw this without son as it was not particularly near yet another business destination and I was (okay am) a lunatic and had to take a look. I parked and walked the campus, pulling on every door and having mostly luck. Very pretty campus and the town nearby was small but cool and very convenient. There’s a big difference between a college town an Uber away and a college town a quick stroll away – the latter makes it a real feature of the campus rather than an occasional escape. Love the blend of small LAC and D1 sports. Library cut into the hill was a real show-stopper. Clinton is in the middle of nowhere on the road to nowhere else. It’s easier to get to the Minnesota colleges we saw than here.

St. Olaf – Trim, attractive campus that is new and sunny in all the right places. Fantastic food. Both my son and I loved the place and for him it rose from a happy-to-have safety (after shooting too high) to an I-love-this-place. Kids we saw seemed to be very happy and proud of their school. We were all set on son attending and I bought the t-shirt AND the hat until his name popped up on a waitlist elsewhere. Northfield is tiny and not a reasonable walk (a little over a mile) but very cute and probably a good way to occasionally escape the (admittedly lovely) campus bubble. And the people here could not be any nicer. Most of the people we met in our college travels were nice but Wooster and St. Olaf are in a different category of nice. I still wear my St. Olaf gear and find myself hoping that my younger son will give it a long look.

Washington & Lee – son was worried about “bro culture” that might be expected at a greek-heavy college with a prominent business school component but felt he could see himself in many of the kids we encountered. It was move-in day so there was a ton of activity and almost every student was out and about. Lovely mix of classical campus architecture and modern amenities. It’s new or newer in all the right places: commons/cafeteria, housing, athletic facilities, sciences buildings without ruining the 18th century aesthetic. We were impressed by everyone we heard speak, by the campus speaking tradition, the in-town location (Lexington is very cute and right there), the movement toward greater on-campus residence. Library was just meh – that must be on their list. Comfortable and classy “living room” in commons is such a great place to hang or do work. More like a beautiful home than a commons.

William and Mary – like no other school we visited. My son loved the old-world feel, the geeky intellectual vibe. It struck us as a place where the kids don’t often booze heavily but when they do they drunkenly argue about the Articles of Confederation, a conversation not entirely different from one that might have emerged down the road in a Williamsburg tavern when said articles were considered news. Bit of an inward-looking place as a large majority are from in-state. But that’s such a minor quibble in a beautiful, unique and intellectually-challenging place. This was my son’s first choice but as OOS we knew it would be tough.

U. Richmond – this one really surprised us. We added it due to location pretty much directly between W&L and W&M. But holy crap what a campus. Son loved the (gothic revival – I looked it up) architecture and the clearly determined effort to stick to it. Even the power plant is beautiful. Not a bad place to spend a few years. Son liked the liberal arts core and the highly-regarded business school. Vibe is intellectual but not drearily serious. Great campus food. City of Richmond isn’t an in-town kind of convenience but the fabulous Carytown neighborhood is extremely close – maybe 4 miles. Shuttles there and all the way downtown are a good option. Son chose UR and is very happy.