Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

This forum has been so helpful the past year. I have learned so much from you all! I especially loved reading this thread, getting different perspectives on schools when my daughter was was narrowing down her list. Now it’s my time to give back and share. :slight_smile:

University of Pittsburgh: This was our first college tour. For me it moved way up (I didn’t think I’d like an urban campus for DD) but for her, it moved down. The day was very well organized and informative. We sat down one on one with someone from the honors program who answered all of our questions. Our tour guide was also very good. I was impressed but DD did not like the urban feel and discounted it right away. It felt too big to her and she wanted a campus with more green space.

University of Rochester: Moved way down for both of us. This was an early front runner and on paper it seemed like a perfect fit. The visit wasn’t awful, but because it was so far up on the list that made the fall that much further. The tour was overcrowded and our guide was just so-so, and we could barely hear him. We had read how beautiful the campus was but honestly we were not impressed. It was pretty, but didn’t wow any of us. Not a deal breaker or even close to it, but worth mentioning. The biggest issue was the fact that the campus was really dead. Not many kids walking around— It seemed lifeless. The kids we did see were walking alone. It just seemed very low energy. DD almost didn’t apply but decided she should have a couple larger schools im the mix in case she decided the small LAC route wasn’t for her in the end. Rochester had a ton of supplemental essays and extra essays for scholarships though and it ate up a lot of her time. In hindsight she shouldn’t have bothered applying but stuck it out in hopes that an excellent merit award could possibly sway her in that direction. Turns out, Rochester was the least generous with merit and financial aid from our experience— something to note since it often gets such high marks on CC in that category. $7,000 compared to $30+ from Case Western a peer school.

Allegheny: Moved down. This was also an early front runner but neither none of us were feeling it. It seemed run down, and just lackluster. I don’t know what it was exactly, but I kept my thoughts to myself and asked her “so what do you think?” about 1/2 way through. She said what I was thinking…”I’m not sure why, but I’m just not feeling it.” She had a good friend who loved it there and had a great experience as a Freshman, so honestly, this was just our first impression. In the end though DD took it off the list after the visit.

Wooster: Moved up. Wonderful tour, excellent guide. The campus is lovely. DD placed it second to Kenyon which was saying a lot. For Wooster it was the reviews on student review websites that put doubts in her head later on in the process— doubts that I think in the end she couldn’t quite shake. She ended up getting the top merit amount from them, but with no additional financial aid, it wasn’t enough to lure her into considering a safety if she didn’t absolutely HAVE to consider it in the end.

Denison: Pretty campus, quaint college town, loved the coach she was in contact with. We all wanted to love Denison but our tour guide soured it a bit. When asked about the student body she said “We are all extroverts— I can’t see anyone introverted fitting in here.” Oh boy, I thought to myself, you lost her on introverted. :wink: She also talked about how the administration had to keep replacing drinking fountains because every weekend they would be pulled out of the wall. Honestly we just laughed about it— why would she tell us that?! LOL I had read enough about Denison to know not to let this one tour guide ruin it for DD though (and I knew her 17 year old brain wouldn’t give it a chance unless I pushed it) so I encouraged her to take it with a grain of salt and keep it as a high safety. She went back later for an overnight and had a much better experience. Had they given her full-tuition it would have been a serious contender in the end.

Kenyon: This one moved up but honestly it was her #1 from the get go, so it didn’t really have far to go. Kenyon lived up to everything it was on “paper” for my daughter. It was the first college she really connected with and she left really feeling like she could see herself there 100% This was more about fit than anything else… I can see how some might be turned off by the isolation, small town, etc. But for the right kid, it’s magical. The students seemed very friendly— everywhere we went our tour guide saw students that waved, said hello. You just got a sense that there was a very strong community presence there. That and the literary culture, the gorgeous old buildings, and the charm of middle path made it near perfect in her eyes. Denison is more “pretty” in a manicured sort of way. Charming in its own way, but different. I personally came away thinking they were both great schools. In the end, she ended up choosing Kenyon!

Notre Dame: Moved down, but it’s ND so it was hard not to make excuses… “maybe you just didn’t connect with the tour guide” etc. But looking back it was clear the fit was just off. The hokey beginning presentation felt forced and was cringeworthy at times. She liked the Catholic element— the grotto, the fact that there were chapels in the dorms etc. It stayed on the list because well, it was ND and what was wrong with us for not loving it like everyone else? And because it was the only Catholic school she applied to. She had attended Catholic schools her whole life and wasn’t sure if she wanted to let that go or not. Incidentally in the end her final decision came down to UKY (financially the best option— NMF almost full ride) Kenyon and Notre Dame. Notre Dame is after all, Notre Dame, and she kept wondering if her first impression based on that visit was premature. So even though the visit didn’t move it up for her, she only gave up on ND at the very end—in April. Fit and $ ended up being the two deciding factors.

University of Kentucky: Moved up. Attended merit weekend when UKY seemed like it may be the only financially safe option, as financial aid /merit offers started rolling in. Suddenly it became possible that the back up plan might end up being THE plan. They did an excellent job. Very organized and the Lewis Honors college presentation was excellent. The honors dorms were brand new and amazing! Honors priority registration meant she would sign up for classes that weekend. It was a bit rushed, which seemed to stress her out a bit (and this is a type B kid who rolls with it usually) so I wondered how personal the advising would be moving on. I will say that she called later to change things on her schedule and advisors were accessible and helpful on the phone. In the end, she had her heart set on a small LAC (Kenyon specifically) but if $ has not come though she would have taken advantage of the UKY NMF Patterson deal and made the best of it. For a different kid (one who wants a big university with sports, school spirit etc) UKY and the Lewis Honors college is fantastic in my opinion.

Miami University (Oxford) Moved up. DD liked the campus, DH and I liked the prospect of probable full tuition for her ACT. Larger than she wanted, but she was open to it. Kids didn’t seem as preppy as they were described in student reviews. Not that preppy is bad, just wasn’t the vibe she was looking for. It stayed on the list until the end when UKY won out as the financial safety— due much to her favorable impression after merit weekend.

@2manycollegequestions4me your D ended up at Kenyon! The last I read, I thought the money didn’t work out. So glad for her.

Elon is a good looking school. Clearly has an outstanding theatre dept and strong study abroad programs. Perhaps creepy is an unfair word to use but during the time we were on campus we saw very few students (it was late a weekday morning through mid afternoon so they would have been up by then!) and those we did see kept to themselves and were not engaging at all. We asked about school spirit and beyond the Elon traditional events got nothing. We just felt it was a campus that was there but not really there. Hope this helps. Obviously just our impressions.

Dropped off the list:

Boston College - Beautiful campus, too religious
RPI - not in Boston
Harvard - really liked the school, but just couldn’t picture himself there
Brown - last in a 3 day, 5 school tour, it was raining, the students who spoke at the information session were a little too out there for him

Moved up -

Boston University - loved the school, fantastic information session and tour guide
Northeastern University - became the #1 school (and will attend), right in Boston, loved the campus feel (over BU’s long skinny campus), co-op

@wisteria100 Totally agree with everything you said about the Dartmouth campus. We were shocked, to be honest, at how run down and grimy some of the building interiors and exteriors were, the bizarre architectural dichotomies, and the utter lack of a personality. Our tour guide, like yours, was nice enough but did not do a good job generating interest. Plus, the informational session was run by someone who was late and new to the job (for that she can be forgiven). When you add all of that to the condescending air that permeates the campus, you leave with a total lack of enthusiasm. My S lost all interest and refused to apply. (Ironically, we coupled our visit to Dartmouth that day with a visit to UNH because it made sense on our route, and we LOVED the UNH campus.)

1 Like

Columbia, always a huge reach for everyone, but my D loved it. She loves NYC, but I thought it might be too urban even for her (she likes city life, even though she has lived in a semi-rural community since she was a baby).

She liked that the campus was compact (she’s not a big walker and hates hills), the easily accessible museums and cultural attractions, and just about everything else. She was not scared off by the core curriculum, and really liked the global feel to both the curriculum and the campus. We are not Asian but she loves Asian cuisine, especially Korean, and when she stepped outside the campus gate and there were two food trucks - one Korean and the other Chinese - she was in love. Bulgogi whenever you feel like it! And it was pretty tasty, especially for a food truck.

She was also drawn to the fact that Columbia requires all its students to be bilingual by the time they graduate. While this might be a turnoff for some, she is extremely interested in learning languages (multiple), so this was a big draw for her (though I’m somewhat skeptical about the “fluent” part of their claim). Talk about study abroad and the fact that your financial aid (which we would be very much eligible for) would travel with you, making study abroad accessible to all students, sealed the deal for her.

It didn’t hurt that we had a very personable tour guide, a senior engineering student.

One thing I noticed that seemed a bit off was that while the campus was buzzing with activity, when we went into the dining hall for a quick look around, I noticed that just about every student sitting at a table was sitting alone, and glued to laptops, phones, etc. It didn’t faze my D because she’s kind of like that, but it struck me as odd.

Now if only she could get in…

1 Like

@homerdog at University of Oregon you can actually take a running tour of the school - after all, Eugene IS known as TrackTown USA! https://admissions.uoregon.edu/visit/running-tour Also periodically students can join a Run with a Researcher: https://www.uoregon.edu/researchrun

@Dancingmom518 My husband graduated from there, and he’s not bilingual, but maybe the requirements have changed over the years. I do know that he thought the core was amazing. He had a wonderful education, certainly better than I did at a “regular” college. Sounds like you have a daughter who knows what she wants:)

Yes, I believe Columbia requires the equivalent of 4 semesters of foreign language which is similar to a lot of schools we visited – 3-4 semesters seemed pretty typical. 4 semesters might be enough to be considered proficient, but definitely not “bilingual!”

I know these are two very often reviewed schools, but did Villanova and St Joes on Wednesday, April 4th . Also went to Open House at College of NJ on March 24th. DS is still a sophomore, but is a methodical, process-driven decision maker…we need time to explore our different options with him and take it slowly.

Neutral:
Villanova: DD was recruited there for field hockey, so we had been on campus several times already - DS did not remember campus. Only tours we took were player led, and admissions presentation was done by athletic department academic support services. So, very different experience with non-athlete son. Keep in mind that school had just won NCAAs two days before our visit. Will be a very different looking campus when construction is complete for housing/campus village stuff. This is still a “meh” for me. Happy students (post Championship glow, perhaps), not as preppy as I remembered, incredibly awesome tour guide, acceptable admissions presentation. Just something isn’t clicking for me (and it didn’t click for DD, either). I can’t put my finger on it with Nova. Campus is “fine”, academic offerings are “fine”. Everything about it was just …fine. DS loved it, though, which I am surprised about.

Neutral:
St Joes. Again, DD was a recruit there, also been on campus several times. DS vaguely remembered it. Excellent tour guide, two sets of newbie parents on tour with us monopolized tour and frustrated our guide…but he kept his cool. First tour I’ve almost walked away from simply because of being pissed at other parents in the group. Admissions presentation was …well, fine. Didn’t blow me away. Probably not the right home for my son, but maybe.

Up:
TCNJ (College of NJ). We are NJ residents - DD didn’t even consider school. Way more impressed than I thought. Excellent academic presentations, felt like the right vibe for my son. My only impression of TCNJ was from the old Trenton State days, and the current school exceeds expectations. Admissions presentation was rushed and so-so, it was a huge open house day. Will go back again for student for day program or something like that.

@homerdog @wisteria100 Our son went for a run at one campus and joined up with a student near the start. Unsolicited, the student asked him if he’d heard about how bad one of the things was at the school, which happened to be something my son had been concerned about. That helped confirm his decision.

“Lafayette. Dull and boring. Looks run down. The tour guide was not impressive. The admissions presentation was horrible – no visuals, speaking off the cuff and constantly repeating herself. Just bad all around. Waste of time.”

Funny that @winelover says this. We had the exact opposite experience 2 weeks ago at Lafayette. My wife thought the Admin presentation was the best we saw of the 6 we did over spring break.
YMMV explains it best I guess.

@SoFloDad glad to know the last couple of Lafayette posts have been positive. Thinking of visiting this summer and, if we do, I will come back to give our two cents!

My son and wife liked Lafayette when they visited. And it has a great reputation for placing students into internship, externships and jobs after graduation – they focus on this more than many colleges. Also, they give merit aid. My son didn’t apply for financial aid and didn’t apply for any scholarship but when they offered admission they also offered him a huge merit scholarship that would have covered more than half the costs of tuition and room and board. What’s not to like about that?

1 Like

@citivas just not sure how easy it is to get to Lafayette if you’re not driving there. You all in the NE have so many choices that are a drivable distance!

@citivas: would you be willing to share the numbers that got your son that merit offer?

@youcee you are not allowed to drop a bomb like that and not tell us what the thing was and which school it was!

Word

@GnocchiB He wasn’t crazy about the dining situation at Cal Poly. Not something most people will really care about too much. You have to find something when there are 2 schools you like fairly equally.

Thanks @youcee. I wouldn’t have been able to sleep tonight if you hadn’t told me! ;))