Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

@citymama9, UGA can seem large at first, being a public university with 27,000 undergrads, but the Honors program does a great job of making it a smaller pond. S is also looking at a couple other contenders, including a strong merit offer from a private university with 18,000 undergrads. I have a feeling that the Honors program at UGA may provide more individual attention and support than the private.

I agree that Athens is a great college town and UGA has a lot of school spirit. S is still undecided but has some great options. UGA is fairly big, but not as huge as UT or Ohio State, as far as public universities go. I will add that Myers Hall Honors dorm at UGA is nice too. In any case, there are many excellent universities and a great fit for your D is out there if UGA is not the one.

@Sue22, saw a similar food court with fast food options at UMD last year :-(. Definitely like the healthy options and variety at UGA dining facilities. That being said, the students gotta watch out for putting on the “freshman fifteen”!

I have similar memories from my graduate school time in Ann Arbor. First place was by the stadium…we weren’t allowed to move our cars on football game Saturdays because the landlord turned the yard into a parking lot. (Huge money maker for him.) Second year was slightly nicer yet oddly cheaper…all grad students. Such incredibly fond memories.

@veehee I went to Temple over 20 years ago (didn’t graduate unfortunately) and just a couple weeks ago we took our son, currently a junior in HS, for an info session and tour.

Well we were sooo impressed with the campus and all the new innovations that Temple has now gone up to the top of his list. I can honestly say I would be more than thrilled for him to attend this school.

Colleges we crossed off our list after visiting:

Holy Cross - Visited BC first, which in retrospect was not fair to HC. We are very familiar with Worcester (DH did his master’s there), so we expected it to be grim and dreary - just not as grim and dreary as it seemed that day. The tour guide was meh, the info session was also meh. The buildings were nice, but not nice enough after visiting BC. It didn’t go OFF the list right away, but it moved to the bottom and eventually fell off.

Marist - the best thing my son could say after our visit was that he loved the groundhogs (apparently, the campus is overrun with them!). The school was ok - really pretty campus and buildings. But the lack of his intended major and the fact that it does not offer enough aid and their top merit scholarships aren’t enough to make it affordable made it leave the list altogether.

UPenn - YIKES! That was a toughie! REALLY wanted S18 to like it as his rowing coaches were both alums and were asked specifically for any qualified rowers they could nominate for recruitment. But it was a disaster from start to finish. The three people behind the desk at the admissions office were busy in a personal conversation with each other, turned to us as if we were an intrusion in their day, barked at us to wait “over there” for the tour, and then went right back to their conversation. So much for the “City of Brotherly Love!!!” The tour guide never showed up, so we ended up grabbing maps and doing a self-guided tour. The campus was beautiful, but what was beyond the walls was appalling. Boarded-up, abandoned, or sketchy buildings surround the walls. We saw multiple people passed out, either drunk or on drugs, on the steps of various buildings. And there was a man either drunk or ODd literally next to our car in front of the Wharton School of Business building. According to campus security, this is a big problem there. And to boot, literalyl two weeks later was the shooting of the UPenn and Philly police officers a few blocks from where we were parked. NO thank you! We were done at that point!

Colgate/Cornell - I’ll put them in the same category as we toured them on the same day. They were both just fine, but they weren’t nice enough to knock anything off the Top 10 list, so we crossed them off. Colgate’s tour guide spent too much time talking about all the things students do to “game the system” on campus, which left both S18 and I with a very distasteful feeling of the character of students there (I’m sure stuff like that happens everywhere, but to brag about it during an admissions tour is just in poor taste). And the info session was underwhelming for many reasons. Again, Cornell was OK, but S18 already had picked the two Ivies he was going to apply to as his reach schools, and he didn’t like it more than the other two.

Villanova - Drove in, the whole campus was a mess with construction and road closures, S18 asked us to keep driving. Off the list.

Bowdoin - Nothing wrong - campus was beautiful, great school. But S18 said the science building was too small, and being a STEM major, that was a turn-off.

Schools that moved up after visiting:

MIT - he hadn’t even considered it but his GC recommended it so we went to visit. While I hated the campus itself (I went to grad school in Cambridge and went to many parties at MIT), S18 was super impressed with everything he saw/heard. To boot, the coach seemed interested in potential recruitment, so that bumped it to #1.

Princeton - Our first visit was great and all, and the campus is absolutely gorgeous. And even though it was S18’s top 5, it wasn’t until our second visit that it moved up to tie MIT at the #1 spot. Mostly because he learned of their very low professor to student ratio in the Physics department.

Yale - going in to our visit, BC was leading the pack. But our visit made it go up to #1 until MIT. S18 loved the residential college community and he felt that Yale had all the attributes he loved so much about his high school. He was also really attracted by the very low professor to student ratio in his major, and the availability of world-class research opportunities. Additionally, the fact that Yale leans toward favoring undergrads over their grad program made it more attractive than most of the other Ivies on his original list.

Tufts - It was a non-entity for me since I lived close by and my sister attended there for grad school. To me, it was always an ugly mess of a campus and always surrounded by construction and traffic. But S18 loved it! Not sure what, exactly. He wasn’t able to explain it. But it rounded out the Top 5 list somehow!

WPI - this was one of his two safety schools going in. He ended up really liking the campus and the project-based curriculum. He left feeling like if this were the only school he got into, he’d be happy - glad it wasn’t, though, since they offered him a HUGE merit scholarship but little else, so it was EXTREMELY unnaffordable.

UDelaware - another safety school that we were surprised to really like! The campus was really unified, even though it’s the biggest college we visited. He left this one too thinking UD was a top 10 contender. HOWEVER, it fell from his graces when he went for an official recruitment visit and his book was stolen, he was the only student participating in the classes he visited, and all the students he met only talked about the parties and all the girls (which for my son were the last two things he would consider when choosing a college!). So even though he got in to the honors college with enough merit to make it affordable, it was one of the first two schools he rejected.

Oh, I forgot to add - the tour guide at Holy Cross told us that it wasn’t her choice to go there but that her family said tey would only pay for her college if she went there. YIKES!!! Yeah, way to sell the school - granted, she did say she was glad they forced her to go there bc she ended up loving it, but why on earth would you choose a tour guide who was FORCED into your college in the first place?!?!?!?

@moosiechica88 your description of Penn is completely wrong. First, there are no “boarded-up, abandoned” buildings anywhere near campus. Maybe if you go far enough west or north,but the entire University City surrounding area is very developed. Second, there are no homeless, drunk, or OD individuals on-campus (save drunk college kids after parties). Moreover, there’s no parking next to Wharton buildings (a car lot across the street but there certainly wouldn’t be homeless people inside there given the security). Finally, shootings and crime are very low in University City. It’s one of the safest urban campuses out there. I apologize if the admissions desk was rude, but don’t hyperbolize a negative experience with made up facts.

@NashSaddle thank you so much for your post. I was getting ready to respond but you said it much better than I could have. I live in Philadelphia and don’t care if you did not like Penn, but your information is factually incorrect. In addition, as sad as the police shooting was, it happened off campus and beyond the boundaries of where Penn patrols. The Penn officer was responding to an officer in distress call.

U South Carolina has a lot of dining halls with fairly decent food. You were probably at Russell Hall, which is the student center and has all the fast food. Still my dd frequents the smoothie places in town quite often.

Yes, I think it was Russell Hall. I was sure there were other places with healthier food but it was a bit disturbing to watch the tour guide positively twirl as she pointed out all the junk food joints.

Then again, in my experience college students are obsessed with food.

@NashSaddle We parked on the street literally in front of the Wharton buliding, so yes, there is parking there (metered). There were boarded-up buildings along the road we drove, maybe not DIRECTLY in front of, but yes, all up and down that road. YES there was a homeless person either drunk or ODd literally between our car and the red brick building. AND yes, the security guard we spoke to said that they had a BIG problem with homeless people passing out on the front steps of many of the dorm buildings. AND YES, there was a shooting just a couple of blocks from UPenn just two weeks after we visited:
http://www.thedp.com/article/2016/09/officers-allegedly-shot-in-west-philadlelphia

WHY on earth would I lie about ANY of this? That makes absolutely no sense! So your experience with UPenn is different from mine, great! Good for you! But ours was horrible - and so were two other school mates of my son’s who had almost identical experiences at different times (with the exception of the shooting two weeks later).

@moosiechica88 I’m pretty sure I know the Holy Cross tour guide you are referring to and FORCED is really an exaggerated way to describe the situation. She has a parent who works at the school, and while she wanted to go to school in place farther from where she grew up, the financial offer she got, couldn’t be passed up. Not everyone has the luxury of being full pay. Cost is a big issue for most. The point is really that she ended up having a great experience. This board is filled with stories of kids ending up at schools that weren’t their first choice, and of kids passing on a school due to finances. But many, like this guide end up very happy.

This is fun. Can someone pass me the popcorn?

it is interesting to see the reaction of some suburbanites when they venture into the city. I have a neighbor who wouldn’t allow his son to apply to Harvard because a non-student was shot to death in an on campus residence house in 2009. The victim was delivering drugs to a Harvard student and was shot by a rival drug dealer.

@moosiechica88 , please, the area around Penn and Drexel is fine. The homes in that neighborhood are very expensive. People choose to raise families there. It is fine if you and your son didn’t like Penn, but you are flat out wrong.

And @moosiechica88 When we were at BC, one of the students on the panel said she had initially wanted to go to Georgetown. But then went on to relate how much she was getting out of her BC experience. The admissions counselor’s eyes didn’t bug out when she said it. It was an honest, relatable moment. Our Wesleyan tour guide said he submitted his application at the last minute because it was test optional. He had little interest in the school because it was to close to home and he wanted warm weather. But when he got all his decisions it was the best financial offer and his mom told him that’s where he was going. He then went on to say how grateful and glad he was to be there. And that mother’s are always right. Never crossed my mind to wonder why a kid like that was selected to be a tour guide. It was a great story. Refreshing to see honest and sincere moments in the midst of the marketing extravaganzas going on at some of these schools.

We visited Penn a month ago and I was expecting to see boarded houses/broken windows/rundown streets but was happily surprised that the part of Philly we walked (we took Amtrak so walked around) is upbeat and quite pedestrian-friendly. It was very cold that day but saw many people on the street. We were lucky?! Lol.

All this just goes to show that you should take everything you hear regarding a university with a grain of salt and tour on your own. Fortunately, there are enough colleges and universities in this country that everyone can find an environment they’re comfortable with.

Brown went down…area didn’t feel comfortable…campus was fine, Providence not so much.

Posters looking for a Safe Space for hate or any disparaging comments without judgement or defense, you are welcome here:

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1977222-what-school-was-unexpectedly-your-least-favorite-when-you-visited.html#latest