Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

@SailingMomof2 I’m also sorry to hear about your experience at JMU. We’ve had several relatives graduate from there and currently have a few attending and flourishing, both personally and academically.

The differences in size and cost between JMU and Bennington couldn’t be more pronounced. It stands to reason that a person drawn to a school with fewer than 1,000 students would be less inclined to favor a school with 20,000+.

Academic, social and financial fit are important. Go with your gut instinct. Good luck.

Has anyone crossed schools off of their list because they are on the quarter system? There are a handful of schools I would love to take my son to visit, but I can’t pull the trigger because of the quarter system. Santa Clara in California is the main one that sounds like a great fit for him, but I’m not sure he would like the fast paced nature of the quarter system.

1 Like

@collegemomjam the quarter system was one of the reasons my daughter took a school off her list. At least in high school, she would often start off a little rough and then increase her performance and understanding. I see benefits to the quarter system, but feel that the short class could be a detriment for her.

UTD.

Regarding quarter system - I was open to it, but not either daughter - for us, that only knocked out Union. On the tour, the guide emphasized how it gave them a leg up in getting December, mall-type jobs. This was definitely not a selling point for my daughter. We have a friend at Northwestern now, and while he is a happy sophomore, he isn’t happy when his friends go off to school before him are back home well before he is.

Thanks everyone. It’s unfortunate, but I think your points are all relevant to my son. I wish more schools would change to semesters!!!

Schools with very long winter breaks got knocked way down the list for me. I hate to see kids sitting around the house in late January long after their friends have returned to school.

I love Bates’s 4-4-1 schedule. It allows students who aren’t doing a Short Term to get a real jump on the summer job/internship market.

1 Like

Time is precious in the quarter system. No wasted time whatsoever at schools like Northwestern University. If one is looking for time to kick back & relax while in college, then the quarter system schools (other than Dartmouth College due to 3 courses per term) might not be the best option.

An advantage of quarter systems in which 4 or 5 courses is a normal load is that students can take a wider variety of courses, and, if one does not like the class or the professor, it will be over sooner than it would be in a semester system.

I loved the quarter system when I was at UCLA. I ended up being able to take far more classes, both getting a broader survey and being able to deep dive more. Also, realistically, some classes are better than other because of the profs. So when you got bad ones they we wasting less of your overall college experience. For comparison, I took 49 courses in 4 years at UCLA (not counting additional summer courses). Whereas my son will have taken 32 by the time he graduates from a semester college.

I had no problem with the quarter system when I was student at Northeastern University back in the Paleolithic Age. It worked well for the coop system too. The only negative was that the school was out of sync with all other Boston area colleges. Northeastern converted to semesters in 2002 to come in line with the rest of Boston academia.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:

While valid reasons, unless the student discovered the quarter system while visiting, the conversation is more appropriate for one of the other “Reasons” threads.

Some find working over long breaks rewarding.

[raises hand sheepishly] I didn’t have any idea that vacation length might turn out to be a criterion until we visited a school whose winter break, surprisingly to me, stretched from before before Thanksgiving until a week after NewYear’s Day.

@Sue22: Which school did your student cross off the list after visiting due to that unusual schedule ?

Union. Kid wasn’t feeling it anyway, but the idea of a month and a half at home in the middle of the school year didn’t help.

Sacred Heart gets a thumbs down:
From the view of a non nursing major, the Sacred Heart was a disappointment. The open house/information session was well organized and had hundreds of student ambassadors on hand to assist. They were over the top friendly. Admissions presentation was geared toward the nursing major and the success they have had over the past 10 years. 100% of nursing students pass there certification tests and 98.6% have job placement. That was pretty much the extent of any selling points the Admissions presentation went over. Campus tour lasted about 45 mins. Freshman dorm we saw was a male triple. Extremely tight, why that room was chosen was beyond me. Laundry and printing included, WIFI and cable ready dorms. The school is 65% female and was very apparent.

The main academic building was where first and second year students take the majority of classes. I know theres an extensive core from my research, but it was never mentioned during any part of the day. The ambassadors answer was “like a math, religion and science class”
Apparently there are several academic buildings on the old GE headquarters that were recently renovated. They are located a half mile from campus and students have to take a shuttle to them. They weren’t part of the tour. There is a campus shuttle that goes to downtown Fairfield, supermarket, mall and off campus academic buildings.
A new Athletic Center is under construction and I’m sure it will be nice. It will house student gym, rock wall, bowling alley. They have D1 sports but there was no mention of them and there was no tour of any of the sports facilities.
New upperclassman dorms are also under construction. No additional information was given on them as to if they were going to be apartment style.
The freshman meal plan consists of 150 swipes and $850 in SHU money per semester. There are 2 cafeterias and 2 Starbucks on campus. There is also a new Diner on campus but wasn’t part of the tour. The cafeteria was pretty empty. In fact the campus was pretty dead other then the open house participants.

Not once during the entire day did anyone mention the cost of tuition, fees, room and board. I tried to figure it out on website and only guesstimate its between $55-60k per year. Nothing was mentioned with regards to merit aid during any presentation, however I was able get info out of an admissions employee that it ranges from $8-17k per year.
The school is test optional, average SAT score for class of 2023 was 1215 average, ACT 26
11,500 applicants with 57% acceptance rate, 1500 freshman class
TEST OPTIONAL, got 2 different answers on % of students who utilize 25 and 40%, so I’m guessing somewhere in the middle of that.
They use the Common App and CSS profile
Not sure about Study Abroad
Not sure what average class size is
Not sure what Facutly:Student ratio is
Not sure about internship opportunities
Left with more questions then answers

Apologies to any SHU folks for any negativity. It’s a popular school from our neck of the woods.
Just didn’t feel it

@BmacNJ A prerequisite for a good college tour is to skim the college website first, especially the admissions section. Most of your questions would have been answered there. You coold then ask questions on the tour that are not covered on the website.

@TomSrOfBoston I don’t disagree, visiting college website is extremely important before going to any school visit. This was our 5th in the past 6 weeks and by far the least informative. If you visit the SHU website, there are many broken links and 404 error pages. Sacred Heart is a great fit for many students and they have impressive stats in the nursing field. Just wasn’t a fit for us

Just got back from a week of visits - UVA, William and Mary, Wake Forest, UNC Chapel HIll and GW

Moved up:
UVA: Loved this school! My DD started with really no idea so this was a move up. We arrived the night before and stayed at a hotel on the “corner”. We walked around and ate dinner, and there were lots of students out an about. Info session was well done. Admissions officer came across as laid back and understanding - like if you don’t love an activity or are just TOO busy during junior and senior year, it’s ok to let it go. She also stressed to “maintain your core” for all four years. Essays should sound like they were written by a 17 year old that wants to go to college. Then we did the tour. Beautiful campus and it was beautiful weather. Even though it was the last week of class, lots of kids were outside, sociable and seemed happy. My daughter liked the vibe a lot. We also did the McIntire tour. The student did a good job explaining things - first two years you do the liberal arts curriculum and then apply into business. If you join the business school, you are placed in a cohort for fall of junior year and do the majority of coursework with this small group. So it creates a close knit community. Seems that about 50-70% are accepted. Side note for us - they had a kosher for passover lunch that was well attended and helped solidify that jewish life was active enough for DD. Tons of kids in UVA gear.

UNC Chapel Hill: This was not initially on our schedule, but after UVA we decided to add it. She liked this one too for a lot of similar reasons. UVA was a bit higher, but she will definitely apply to both. Info session was actually terrible. It was in the afternoon so I don’t know if the guy was bored himself, but it was really boring and everyone looked like they were having trouble staying awake. The tour guide, in contrast, was fantastic. She was dynamic and friendly and was happy to answer any and all questions. She then gave her email address for any follow-up questions. After the tour she helped us get on the bus to check out the business school since it was late and we were in a hurry. We got to the business school right around 5pm and the office was basically closed, but an admissions staff member came to talk to my daughter. She did a great job selling the program and was also super friendly. Campus was very active and beautiful. Lots of seniors taking grad photos in iconic places. We also checked out hillel and were very happy to hear about the offerings including a Jewish sorority (not part of normal sorority group). Lots of kids in Carolina gear.

Moved down/off:
William and Mary: Beautiful school and Williamsburg is a really cute town. Info session was funny and the guy was full of jokes and stories. I would have liked more substance, but it set the stage. Tour guide was very sweet and clearly loved the school. Something about the vibe just didn’t work for my D. Interesting because I had heard people say it was “quirky” but had never mentioned that to her. I think that was what she felt. Also it was a gorgeous day and the campus was nearly silent in some areas. Yes, it was the week before finals, but the day before at UVA was a huge contrast. I think she likes campuses with more energy all the time. Hillel was also a bust - way too small. I don’t think she will apply.

Wake Forest: Again, beautiful campus and a beautiful day. Admissions presenter was excellent. Campus was extremely well manicured and everything seemed upscale. For some reason, my DD wasn’t loving it. She also didn’t like that it was 50% greek. We noticed many kids wearing greek letters rather than WF gear. It was also surprisingly quiet. We went to the business school and an admissions person came to speak with us. Again, did a great job selling the program. The woman was very honest. When she asked my DD what other schools we were touring and she named the schools, she said you really picked great schools. They are all terrific academic choices so it’s more about the other factors. It was nice to hear that from someone other than me! I was surprised that it wasn’t a bigger hit, but that’s why we visit. I think given the distance from home and her other similar choices, she is unlikely to apply.

GW: Probably stayed the same. I knew she didn’t love urban campuses but she really liked American and DC when we visited earlier, so we decided to check it out while in the area. As I suspected, it’s probably too urban for her. She was bothered by the lack of dining hall. They do have several enclosed food court type areas, but they are also open to the public. I asked the tour guide about breakfast and she admitted that was a challenge. We also took the tour of the Mt Vernon campus since I thought that might provide balance. It was fine and does provide a dining hall and a grassy campus. But it was really small and sort of generic looking. The tour guide said that GW bought a small boarding school (or college) and it became this campus. All freshman take a required writing class on “the Vern” and about 1/3 of freshman live there.

@Musicmom2015 Thank you for the great recap! This is so helpful. My son also LOVED UVA and wants to study business. These are the same schools on our list. He was unsure about checking out W&M and I think we will drop it. I wanted him to look at Elon, Wake and UNC. We can only see 2 of those so maybe we will drop Wake and check out UNC. My concern was whether they had much Jewish life there but it sounds they have a nice Hillel. My son really disliked GW as well, especially the lack of dining hall. He wanted to leave as soon as we arrived.