Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

WAY UP – University of Puget Sound, which I recently toured with S23 for the first time ever. We are more or less just starting the college search for S23 and despite many years in the PNW I had ignorantly lumped UPS together with the religious schools in this area that all share the same letters (PLU, SPU, UP, SU…) and never even glanced at it for S21. (It wouldn’t have mattered since S21 had a strong preference for the northeast.) Anyway, S23 and I both came away very impressed by UPS. Stunning campus; gorgeous setting; set apart from but well-connected to both Tacoma and Seattle by various transit options; good dining, shopping and recreational activities nearby campus. From arrival to departure, there wasn’t a single discordant note during our visit. Most importantly though for S23, UPS offers a business program within a small traditional LAC, plus it has a mens rowing program. S23, like his older sibling S21, wants to continue rowing in college. The UPS rowing coach met with us for nearly an hour after the official UPS tour concluded and S23 was smitten by the entire experience, and I admit I was too.

UP - Bates College, where S21 is a current freshman. It may not be in the spirit of this thread to give impressions of a college one is already enrolled in, but S21 had never set eyes on Bates before the August move-in. I myself finally visited Bates the first time for Family Weekend earlier this month and was thrilled to find S21 as happy as he had hoped to be. He has friends elsewhere who are less than happy, so we feel lucky and relieved. DH and I took an official campus tour (no building interiors, unfortunately) while S21 was unavailable, and we found the campus pretty and intimate but not too small. The campus exudes an easy friendliness, a pleasant relaxed vibe. We also found Lewiston a nice little city if not glitzy, and not blighted as portrayed here by some posters. Baxter Brewing is a new favorite of DH’s and I mention it because it is one example of the repurposing/revitalization of Lewiston’s brick industrial infrastructure underway. We also found it an easy 2+ hour drive from Boston where we can fly direct from homes in both Houston and Seattle. DH and I coordinated our arrivals into Boston, picked up a nearby Zipcar and headed north.

My visits to Bates and UPS took place within a week of each other and the two schools struck me as being far more similar than different.

Impressions from past college visits that moved the needle, up or down:

UP - UT-Austin. We took both S21 and S23 on an official tour of UT-Austin in the fall of 2019, as one of our state flagship schools and my undergraduate alma mater. Neither was enthusiastic about this tour and both were insisting they would never go to college in Texas, but then both came away from the tour excited about being a Longhorn someday. We scored the perfect male tour guide in a laid-back, sharp and witty Communications major. The UT-Austin campus fairly hums with a high energy positive vibe, and I fell in love with UT-Austin all over again alongside my boys. (Alas, neither will become a Longhorn after all. S21 obviously chose Bates and S23 has a snowball’s chance in hell of getting in.)

UP - Whitman College, which I toured with S21 early on. Like others I initially discounted it because of its remote location but we very much enjoyed the campus and tour and found Whitman and Walla Walla to be a charming oasis in eastern Washington. I can’t really comment on the vibe because we toured in June after most students had left for the summer. If my boys weren’t rowers, Whitman would have been very high on their lists.

DOWN - Lewis & Clark College, which I toured with S21 and one of his friends from Texas. The friend from Texas did like it, applied and was accepted, but ultimately matriculated at The New School in NYC. This was just not a good fit for S21, too much of a hushed, dark PNW vibe amplified by the heavily forested (beautiful) campus. S21 himself is quiet and reserved and needed a campus with a more outgoing vibe.

DOWN - Reed College, toured on the same trip as above. More edgy dark PNW vibe but without any of the relaxed/sporty types that soften the edge at L&C. This school was just way too serious for either kid. I can see how this is a fantastic niche school for uber-academic types.

DOWN - University of British Columbia, it was too big, too impersonal, too much (which is my impression of Vancouver BC as well despite wanting to like it and visiting numerous times). I toured UBC with S21 during the Feb 2019 Int’l Student event (Presidents Day in the US) and S21 was very interested before arriving but left feeling meh. No complaints about the tour or leaders themselves and we sat next to a wonderfully informative faculty member during lunch, but the overall impression was of an immense impersonal commuter school. In any event, the international unis we were considering before the pandemic like UBC (and Leiden and Erasmus, as DH works for a Dutch company) fell off our lists pretty quickly when international borders were closed for a second time in twenty years.

DOWN - Harvard, which S21 had set as his goal college in middle school, despite the absurdly long odds even for high-caliber students. We did an official tour in 2018 and even though we hit the tour jackpot with picture perfect weather and a guide who was both pre-med and on the mens rowing team (exactly like S21), my son walked away knowing Harvard wasn’t a good fit for him. And we could immediately see it too since S21 is a quiet dark horse never seeking a spotlight, whilst his fellow tour members were students who obviously thrived in the spotlight and practically clamored for it. Good for them, it’s not a criticism. It’s just a wholly different type of kid from S21.

24 Likes

Thanks for your detailed and humorous reflections on your visits. I love that after all of that travel S21 ended up at a college where you never got to! So glad it is working out this fall at Bates. Beautiful place to row and great intercollegiate competition within reasonable drives.

UT Austin was by far the biggest campus and largest enrollment U we visited. We had a great tour guide, too. D21 was intrigued by it, but was so overwhelmed. We were in Austin for a few days for something else, so it was a nice way to get a feel for what it might be like to be in an urban area at a big U. It helped her see that day to day it was not for her and ruled out Georgia Tech and a few others for that reason. Others thrive in it.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing all this information. My son is looking at Tufts and Lehigh, and it is really interesting to see how your son reacted to those schools!

2 Likes

@Suzie1145 Feel free to PM me for more information!

It wasn’t even a visit, it was a presentation in a nearby city. Vanderbilt— they specifically said “if you are first gen please reach out with questions.” No one else was invited to “reach out.” They didn’t take attendance and ran for the door after it was over to make sure they didn’t “meet” anyone. And the big clincher….for my 17 year old (I actually didn’t go with her). They didn’t say thank you for coming. In this frozen tundra of a state that is considered rude on a Sunday night when people take time to be there with the gift of their time. Hey I get it, with 40,000 applications they will talk to you when/if they are ready—there are only so many hours in the day. She loved the rest of it and the idea of Nashville. But she dug in her feet and said “it’s not the fit for me culturally, they just want my application not me.” So we’ll never know —the stinker crossed it off her list.

18 Likes

Did Reed show the ravine/swamp “nature preserve” bridge area? My kid darkly stated, “Well, I know where I can jump off if I come to this school.” Yeah. No.

4 Likes

Check out Brandeis. Radio Astronomy Group | Research | Martin A. Fisher School of Physics | Brandeis University. Very strong in sciences, excellent research opportunities for undergraduates, and known for its openness to all kinds of self-presentation.

3 Likes

Recently toured some East coast LACs with S23. He’s just getting started defining what he wants. Only crossed one off the list but a couple rose to the top.

Colby - down. too rural for him. Nothing else really "wrong’ with it and we had a very good tour guide. S liked the Jan plan and the outdoor excursion opportunities. Location is a fair reason to drop it from the list, but it’s clearly a great school with a lot of neat opportunities. it was the only one we saw with a January term, which I think is really neat. A little sportier vibe here.

Bates - up. He liked the proximity to the town especially coming directly from Colby’s tour. New science building is complete, wish we could have seen inside it! A downside was no info session (online only and he hasn’t had time to do it). Our guide was lackluster and failed to mention the May term, the athletic facilities, the traditions like jumping through the ice in costumes in the winter. These were all things I had heard before on my S20’s tour of Bates. So the tour wasn’t super impressive, but S23 still rated the school high although the required senior thesis makes him nervous. He is only 16 after all and I guess it sounded like a lot! I still love the down to earth vibe of the students here. Sports also seem important here but not overwhelmingly so.

Bowdoin - up. He liked a lot here. We were rushed across the campus from admissions to the auditorium where the info session was. It was quite a hike. I could barely keep up and it felt quite rude, like, “hurry up, we aren’t waiting around for you. Perhaps you are not Bowdoin material.” I think if you weren’t ten minutes early you probably missed the whole thing because you never would have found that info session. The school grew on me as well after that initial experience. Beautiful campus. S23 liked the sound of the environmental sciences and Arctic studies here. Town seemed probably big enough for him and despite a small student body, the campus seemed very roomy.

Skidmore - up. S told someone at the next tour that he had really liked Skidmore. He liked what he heard about the sciences here and there is a new science center being built now. This school has grown on me, the parent, ever since the tour. There was a lot of energy on campus and it seemed less sporty than some others, which is fine for my S. He liked the availability of arts/theatre along with the science. We need to look into whether a non theatre major has real opportunites to participate here. Saratoga springs was a nice spot and the shuttle to town seemed ever present. We ate at a good Asian restaurant in town which boosted the experience too.

Vassar - up. Unfortuately the students were on fall break so no official tours. I thought the info session was great. s and I both think he would like the vibe here but it was hard to totally get that feel. Incredibly beautiful campus! Lots of science offerings, open curriculum and proximity to both Poughkeepsie and 90 minutes to New York City all pluses. S said that the students seemed cool based on the graffiti in the bathrooms here. I really wish we’d met some students here, as it could be a great fit.

Wesleyan - Up. He really liked the size and vibe of this student body. He loved the campus and liked the sound of the graduated housing/independence level. He was taken with the 4+1 Masters program options even though he does not know what he would like a masters in! Lol. The walkable town and the open curriculum were pluses. Probably his favorite after all the tours.

Connecticut College - he liked this school. He thought socially it sounded like you are set up to meet a lot of people which is good. He was concerned/confused by the “connections” academic program because it sounded like a whole lot of requirements. There was no info session here either (need to do online) so I think the way the tour guide described the program was awkward, because it did sound like there were a lot of different course requirements to hit. I am guessing that one course can meet a couple of these. What stood out to me as a parent were the many levels of support it sounds like students get. You seem to have a lot of student and adult mentors all over the place!

I am giving him a breather before we go back to discussing how all these schools feel after the fact! it was a lot.

26 Likes

My D goes to Holy Cross. At the start of his search my S was definitely NOT going there - not copying his sis. We visited a number of other LAC and small universities:
Fordham: Early front runner - coming from a small New England town, living in the big city seemed exciting. The visit was underwhelming for him; he just didn’t feel a sense of intellectual curiosity. Also, the lack of WiFi coverage was a negative to him. I actually liked the place, but it was his decision.

Bucknell: Another early front runner. Solid school, but given his already extroverted nature I was concerned about having too much fun in a place with such a large Greek presence (I was in a fraternity but was much more introverted so it worked out). He decided it was too remote, despite their claims to be “in the middle of it all”

Fairfield: Didn’t like from the start of the tour. Felt like a catholic high school (been there, done that)

BC: He was very enthusiastic at first. Beautiful campus, doing a great job managing their stats to raise their rankings. However, it was just too Vineyard-Viney and seemed more pre-professional than intellectual (my translation of his feedback). It does have mythical status amongst the Boston-area Italian and Irish 2nd and 3rd generations.

Conn College: Was very surprised in a positive way. Facilities all seemed in great condition, friendly vibe.

So, after all this he chose…Holy Cross! For him, the right mix of academic rigor, intellectual curiosity, and friendliness. He has an ROTC scholarship as well, which helps.

Ok, alums, start the counterattacks.

19 Likes

I agree with your son (scratching my head wondering how in the world they can claim that)! Bucknell and Washington & Lee remind me of each other with Greek presence and location being further from cities, though their towns are nice.

4 Likes

If we are retelling tours in past year, here is a summary of a mid Atlantic/Boston tour we did with an extremely picky science-focused older daughter a few years ago:

Princeton - got ruled out, the wealthy suburban setting reminded her too much of home, it was miserably rainy, and the senior year and junior year thesis requirements stressed her out just hearing about them - she is a stem kid and wanted to avoid more writing (she wouldn’t have gotten in anyway);

Boston College - way up, she liked the setting and the kids, liked the science presentations, liked the location.

Tufts - hated it for no good reason, I really liked it. Something about the setting and she thought the kids all seemed defensive about not being in the Ivies (unlike BC where she thought the kids seemed like they wanted to be there).

UPenn - ruled out, liked the mix of kids and academic strength and amazing science offerings,but really didn’t like the urban setting

Swarthmore - didn’t like at all, too small, and reminded her very much of her high school in “overly intellectual/very competitive/too serious” vibe. I thought it was great, but there you go.

UVA - ruled out, put off by the vibe, seemed provincial (the tour guide seemed very surprised to have someone from New England on the tour), very white, and had weird traditions and adoration of the Founding fathers that rubbed her the wrong way.

Georgetown- loved everything about it, the perfect not too big and not too small size, the kids, the adorable and historic town, the nearness to DC, the excellent and extremely well funded but not insanely competitive science departments. Yep that is where she ended up and loved every minute…

13 Likes

Only one school really moved after our visit. We went into the campus tour of NYU with it as my S’s choice for an ED application, and after the visit, and thinking about it for a week, it was off the list completely. He is not even going to apply. He loves NYC and wants to live in a city, but he wanted a campus for college and NYU does not have a campus.

10 Likes

“UVA- ruled out, put off by the vibe, seemed provincial (the tour guide seemed very surprised to have someone from New England on the tour), very white, and had weird traditions and adoration of the Founding fathers that rubbed her the wrong way.”

We’ve visited a lot of top 125 (but not T20) schools with our kids. This is one area they need to train the tour guides and even some of the AO’s on. Its a turnoff when they seem genuinely shocked to have someone on the tour from our state and it doesn’t exactly make you want to go there. And it also makes you feel kind of silly, like “you came all that way to visit THIS school?”. And we’re from MA, not some remote state that barely sends anyone to college out of state.

For example, when we visited Marist the AO seemed shocked we were from MA. Its literally a 3 hour drive from our house! My D said she felt like everyone there must be from NY and NJ even though they claim to have students from 40+ states. It was a total turnoff.

9 Likes

That is funny that y’all got that vibe visiting out of state colleges. We were just visiting Warren Wilson College, which is a very small (like 825 total students small) niche work college in the mountains of North Carolina. We live in NC and I have known about it for a long time, but there were kids there from Atlanta (not too far away, so not that unusual), Wisconsin(!), New Mexico(!) and more. I was surprised there were kids from so far away, but the faculty and student tour guides we met were more like, “that’s awesome you came so far to visit us” rather than “you came all that way to see this school?!” One faculty member commented to the student from Wisconsin that he loves students from Wisconsin and has taught several. The faculty had made their way from California, Chicago, all over really, so while it is so very tiny it really does draw folks from all over.

7 Likes

We had a similar (great) experience early last summer at Iowa State. Most of the kids visiting were from Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska or Kansas, but there was us from Massachusetts and another family from Alaska. They made us feel very welcome.

5 Likes

Agree about training the tour guides. Sometimes they say things that make you scratch your head.

We had the opposite thing happen when talking to an admission officer during an info session at Rochester. Which isn’t surprising, given that they are aware of the places they are underrepresented and that they are trying to get kids from those areas excited, not turned off. When my D visited, the AO running the session made a point of saying they had people from all over the country, even from our (very unrepresented) state. He also interacted with her to use his example of how their openish curriculum works. It wasn’t the only factor, but she walked away pretty excited about Rochester and could see herself there, even though probably no one in her HS even knew the school existed. She didn’t end up going there, but she applied and may have gone if she didn’t get her ED.

6 Likes

We were the only ones on a tour of Wofford College, several years ago. Tour guide announced at the start, unprovoked, that she “hated math and didn’t understand why anyone would study it.” I could see interest in the school falling in my son’s eyes.

1 Like

Ugh, at least the guide was genuine :grin:

We had similar experiences at other tours where the guide just wasn’t the right fit for what my kids were interested, but in the end, still pulled off a nice tour.

1 Like

The big collapse down the list was U of South Carolina. We arrived (on a Friday) at our near-campus hotel to go check-in (which took hardly any time) and decided to go exploring by driving around campus. We must have timed it just right, as there was a herd of students walking down the street on a beautiful afternoon. Lots of folks in sweaters, students in high heels and dressed like fashion models. He said that was enough for him and it fell off his list. (Wish I would have known sooner as I could have canceled the hotel reservation.)

His top choice school is in the mountains of North Carolina, where it rains, snows, and where it is windy and cold. But he said no to Pitt because it rains, snows, and it is windy and cold.

15 Likes

Yeah, I think being on campus and seeing the other students was so helpful for D22. She fell in love with Warren Wilson when she saw the other kids and could see herself fitting in there. She would definitely not go for high heels and dressed like fashion models. She loves the chill creative vibe, wear whatever funky fashion feels good and makes you feel good and wants to be around those kids.

7 Likes