Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

dragged our daughter to GW (George Washington Univ) today. She was very pleasantly surprised. she really liked the urban feel and the students she saw seemed happy and energetic (especially the tour guide). the info session was quick and efficient, which was a nice change from some of the long-winded timesucks we have sat through at other schools. GW will definitely stay on her list as a semi-safety that she would be happy attending. Main downside is the lack of green space, but it’s very close to the Mall (not a shopping mall). They are adding some new dining halls, as opposed to it’s traditional restaurant system, which should help foster more of a community feel.

12 Likes

My son is a freshman at GW now and is loving every minute. The National Mall is their greenspace. My son and his friends are there all the time. It’s an incredible school in many ways but it’s somewhat unconventional so I tell people to really do their research before committing. For students that are highly independent and will seek out resources when they need help (which at times is tough to navigate) this can be a great fit. No real sports spirit. No warm fuzzy orientation program (although some of that could have been Covid related). Very urban feel which my son loves. He takes the metro everywhere and absolutely loves being a DC resident.

15 Likes

I notice this too! I’m a student lurking here and this is very true of my classmates and I. Yesterday it was gloomy, and my longer seminar felt more dragging and draining than on days when it is sunny and we get nice views of the (picturesque) campus from the extensive classroom windows. Temperature has a less of an impact on our general mood than sun does, but we do all seem to perk up at the start of spring.

I also notice that we seem to hang out inside in places that may or may not be seen on tours. Like lingering in the dining hall for two hour meals since everyone has to go there anyway it is a great place to run into friends with whom you don’t share classes with.

9 Likes

Just went to admitted student days at 3 campuses and took a tour of a 4th. We are from the northeast.

UP

Miami University Ohio- put on a great admittedp students day. Campus is beautiful. Students were friendly and down to earth. Admission staff gave hilarious, engaging presentations. Ate in the cafeteria after the tour and food was amazing. Cafeteria was spotless and the workers were so friendly. Great college town with fun restaurants and bars. Business building is gorgeous and program seems strong.

University of Dayton- also did a great admitted student day but we thought it was too short (12-4). Campus is totally different than Miami but also beautiful. Lots of windy paths and places to hang out. Love the residential system and the school owned off campus houses. Students were super friendly (invited my son and his friend to a party) and were so welcoming when they showed up. Business program seems great. Dayton is not a great city but there are a few restaurants and bars just off campus. Met some alumnae at our hotel and they are so passionate about what a special place this is.

Down

Butler- Admitted students day was a bit of a disappointment. Really just an info session and a tour. Campus is beautiful and the greek life houses are right next to campus and really nice. Son did not like that there is no town and literally nothing you can walk to from campus. Students were very friendly.

Xavier- just did a tour with a student. We liked this a lot when we visited in the fall but the campus just looked sort of bleak in the winter. Cincinnati is nearby (about 10 minutes) but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to get there from campus. Not in the best neighborhood and not a lot off campus to walk to. Students were super friendly and they have some great programs to set your student up for success. Also a great location for internships. Son liked it but just likes his other options better.

20 Likes

We felt the exact same way about USC.

1 Like

Since my daughter applied to mostly out of state (and region) schools, we are scrambling to visit them now that she’s been accepted. A few we’ve visited recently:
San Diego State: Started out as #1 (the only school we had previously visited) and stayed at the top. Loved the relaxed vibe, Spanish architecture, access to the city and the beach, and of course the weather. Only downside for her was the distance/time change from here in New England. The reality of it hit her for the first time.
College of Charleston: Moved down. A little too small, city is a little too quaint for her. Described it as “fine”, but nothing she’d be excited about. My husband and I loved it, great city to visit!
U Colorado Boulder: Moved way up! I thought she’d rule this out just based on the weather - she wanted somewhere warmer than Massachusetts! Also, it was drizzly and gray (she didn’t even see the stunning mountain views) and we had a terrible tour guide (long winded, boring, and took about 2 hours). But, she saw through all of that and loved the style, the huge size, the vibe, the academics, and downtown Boulder. Even though it’s more of a college town than a city she could totally see herself here. Currently in the #1 spot :). We have at least one more to see (NC State) - so we’ll see if it stays there!

17 Likes

Your sense is correct. Most would agree that it’s one of the best LACs for STEM. And forgive my ignorance of CC abbreviations, but I assume D24 means her HS graduation year. If so, your D would have 2 years there with the new science center, which is going to be amazing. One of my mantras is that the ubiquitous summary of Wesleyan as an “artsy” school is both lazy and hackneyed, particularly given the increased emphasis in higher ed on STEM today.

4 Likes

Meant D22/S24, D applied and S is interested in playing a sport there.

1 Like

Happy to here Dayton moved up on your list, we are visiting the first week of April and are so excited!! It’s my sons top choice.

4 Likes

Best of luck to your D!

Just wanted to encourage you that Denver and Boulder do get a ton of sunny days (I think it used to be a slogan for Denver–something like, “over 300 sunny days a year.”

5 Likes

Yes, at the info session they stressed that the grey day was unusual. The way I figure it, if she liked it on a day like that, she’ll love it any day!

3 Likes

It’s true! 320 I believe. :slight_smile: (I’ve lived in Colorado for over 30 years and we actually get excited for cloudy “cozy” days!)

2 Likes

Replying to the poster that described how the audience at a Texas A&M admissions event was forced to repeatedly shout back “Howdy!” until the event staff was satisfied it was loud enough …. My daughter would literally uncontrollably vomit :face_vomiting: if she was there and went through that :joy: … and we live in Texas. My junior daughter (and my senior son) would do almost anything to leave Texas.

12 Likes

To be clear on concept, the several posts above are examples of what the moderators mean when they call out off-topic posts in this thread.

So to that end, can we return to topic please?

2 Likes

To get us back on track, I will share your reactions from a few:

CoC - Admitted student day with STEM tour, made D21 go so she could see her possible reality if she needed to stay closer to home due to Covid and other factors. It was a great STEM tour with the Dean of the college of mathematics and science. He was fabulous and clearly had great rapport with the professors in his department. The labs were well stocked and professional. Their buildings were modern and there were lots of opportunities for research. The marine science majors have access to labs off campus next to state and federal research centers - about 20 minutes away with shuttle pre-Covid. CoC has also launched a pre-nursing track with MUSC that looks very impressive. Went up a little in daughters mind.

Duke - the info session and tour was longer than posted, but they persevered. Did not like the layout of the campus, but like the opportunities for undergrads. Duke went down a little after the visit, but still applied last year, waitlisted, did not accept the waitlist spot.

US Naval Academy - no formal tour, but tried to encourage interest with some drive bys and walking around Annapolis and the campus when in that area of the country. It is often overlooked by top students and had majors D21 was interested in. Could not wrap her head around the career paths available within the military to serve the years back.

11 Likes

CofC is overlooked and underestimated. Charleston is exploding and it is a gorgeous campus smack in the middle of an amazing small city. I’m buying futures of CofC.

7 Likes

Tulane- UP. Just got back from admitted student weekend. D22 was turned off by over the top marketing and push to attend a ton of virtual sessions. However, she applied as it had a lot of what she’s looking for (urban, real campus, her major, mid size, focus on community service, opportunities for merit). She loved the campus and surrounding area (Audubon Park was a highlight). Students gave off a very happy and enthusiastic vibe. She was impressed by the faculty she interacted with

18 Likes

We loved Charleston! We did not do an official school visit because we were there on a weekend. But loved the city itself. Now that my daughter got in, we are going back to see more of the actual school on an Accepted Students Day. I hope it’s a good fit for her. There are always some negative opinions about any college, but I’ve read about about limited housing, and also, some think there is no real “campus” like other schools. So we will see what my daughter thinks after visiting a second time!

7 Likes

The on campus housing should shake back out at CoC after they build the new dorm this next year. Like many downtown areas, Airbnb is impacting the rental markets at the same time as there is a need for student housing.

Have a great trip. They did a nice job with accepted scholar days last year. I have lived in the area for two decades and the campus finally took form when I went with S19 on a tour a few years ago. Somehow I had missed that all of the campus sidewalks are brick.

For outdoor spaces - The cistern is beautiful, the open space by the library is used extensively, there are pocket parks and small outdoor spaces galore, and the students take over Francis Marion Square as their spot many days.

7 Likes