Color Guard?

<p>I would love to be able to continue participating in color guard after high school and was wondering if anybody knew how competitive the auditions are for the color guard at the university of alabama. I looked at their website and couldn’t really find much about what sort of level you need to be at to be accepted. I’d assume it would be pretty difficult since they are ranked 27th in the independent world category for winterguard but thought I would check incase the marching band guard was different. Thanks!</p>

<p>[Million</a> Dollar Band - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://www.mdb.ua.edu/divisions/colorgaurd.php]Million”>http://www.mdb.ua.edu/divisions/colorgaurd.php)</p>

<p>If you scroll down you see about auditions and application. I think the team has been selected for this fall, though. But, you could get an idea for next year.</p>

<p>Auditions for the 2010 Color Guard will take place on Saturday, May 1 on The
University of Alabama campus.
A copy of the application form can be printed from this website. Please
return the completed form along with a recent full body picture of yourself
in a performance uniform or black leotard to the following address:
Attn: Color Guard Auditions
University of Alabama Bands
Box 870368
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
Any current UA students or 2009 Color Guard members who choose to audition
may bring the application form to the Band office located at 211 Moody Music
Building. Please place your application in an envelope marked, “Attn: Color
Guard Auditions.”
The audition process will consist of the following:
• A routine that you create demonstrating your skills and ability. You may include
flag only, flag and rifle or flag, rifle, and saber. You may perform this to music of
your choosing. You may bring a CD or cassette tape for your audition. Use the
following guide when creating your routine:

1. Flag only – 1 minute in length
  2. Flag and Rifle – 30 seconds of flag and 30 seconds of rifle
  3. Flag, Rifle, and Saber – 30 seconds of flag, 30 seconds of rifle, and 30
    seconds of saber. PLEASE NOTE: Auditioning on rifle and saber
    does not guarantee anyone a weapons spot. Those auditions are held
    during band camp in August. You will perform this routine before the
    judges.
    • Various across the floor patterns that you will learn during the clinic.
    • A group routine which consists of 50% dance and 50% flag which you will
    learn during the clinic and perform before the judges.
    • Do not use any props in your audition routine.
    We use 6 foot flag poles at The University of Alabama. When you learn the
    group routine, you will use one of our poles. If you bring your own rifle or saber,
    you may bring either 36 inch or 39 inch.
    Audition apparel:
    • White tank top
    • Black shorts or jazz pants
    • Black or beige split sole jazz shoes (shoelaces are optional)
    Your hair must be worn down and curly. No half up and half
    down…completely down.
    All individuals selected for membership in the Color Guard will be adjudicated
    on and must be able to demonstrate these essential elements which include,
    but are not limited to:
    Aerobic Conditioning
    Movement
    Performance Skills
    Coordination
    Marching and Maneuvering
    Ability to Grasp Concepts
    Attitude
    Physical Appearance (Conditioning, Movement, Muscle Tone, Muscle
    Flexibility, Physical Proportions, Posture, and Body Composition in a
    healthy range, defined as 12% to 30%. More information about this
    component of the audition can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions
    sections on the Color Guard page of this website.)</p>

<p>I love Color Guard!!! Do you do flag, rifle, and sabre?</p>

<p>I thought most colleges have ROTC students do this(like in uniform)? Bama doesn’t?</p>

<p>Oh okay, thanks! I guess I’ll just keep practicing up until next May and see how things work out :)</p>

<p>I mostly do flag since I just recently started rifle (hopefully trying out for rifle this fall though), my school doesn’t teach sabre right now or I would definitely give it a try :(</p>

<p>HI! I realize that this message is a little late but I thought you might like to know. I am a member of the color guard at Alabama and I thought i could answer your questions if you are still wanting to audition. We have girls that audition that are at many different levels (some its their first year and some have been doing this as long as five or six years prior to college) but I’m not going to lie auditions are HARD! We not only audition on equipment but with dance as well, you might see anything from splits and pirouettes to lyrical dance. But don’t let me get you discouraged, I didn’t think I could do it either but look where I am. The try-outs last anywhere from 10 to 12 hours so be prepared. We have an AMAZING weapon line so you really need to be excellent to audition for it. We always love new girls trying out so I hope you still want to audition maybe I’ll see you at audtions in a few months!!</p>

<p>I’m trying out for UA’s colorguard THIS week, and I’m so nervous. The MDCG is absolutely AMAZING!</p>

<p>To the OP, you should contact them and see if you can still try out. There may be spots still open!</p>

<p>We met a color guard girl when we came down for Alabama Action. Cute as a button!</p>

<p>Good luck and I hope you make it!</p>

<p>Have fun!</p>

<p>good luck!!! Let us know how it goes.</p>

<p>:)</p>