Colorado College--help me decide!

I am contemplating giving my support for my daughter to go to school more than half way across the country to Colorado College (we live in NH). She applied on a whim as per a friend’s recommendation. All other schools are on East Coast. After being accepted, we decided to visit and she fell in love.
She can make a long list of positives, but I want to be sure we’re considering the drawbacks of the school! We’re struggling with her being so far away and want to make sure it’s the right choice.
We realize no place is perfect, so please tell me any negatives you’ve experienced/know about.
Some quick info:
Neuroscience/Visual Arts double major
Loves the outdoors
Wanted a defined campus in or near a city
Likes the idea of the block plan and some of the experiences it seems to offer
Won’t have a car so parking issues not a concern
Alcohol and substance free
Outgoing and active, but not looking for a party scene

Help you decide? I don’t understand the problem. If you can afford it and she loves it, then you’ve done your job right. wish her great success.

ETA: Every college has drawbacks. There will be partying at every school. She doesn’t have to be involved with it. I haven’t heard anything negative about CC. She should have a look on Niche to see what students think of their school.

I have to say, it seems to me that you are looking for reasons to say no. Your post is about you, not your daughter. She’s spreading her wings. Let her fly.

Perhaps you’re right, thank you for your perspective.

Our daughter is a freshman at CC. She went in as a double major in biology and studio arts. What type of visual arts is your daughter interested in?

Pros: As you have likely noted, absolutely spectacular natural beauty. Sunny skies most days of the year. Students are well respected, both by school personnel and by community members. D1 was mysteriously offered admission into a special program prior to regular admission (can’t recall the name, but many international students attend) and made fast friends before campus opened for the remainder of the freshman move-in. Once the remainder of the freshmen came, her group of 12 left campus to build a bridge along the continental divide. This was not a couple rocks and a couple of planks type of bridge: their group was digging holes, cutting rebar, etc etc etc. She is now in her 7th block, which is her first off campus block. A group of 16 students and 2 professors are in Serbia and Bosnia using performing arts to teach conflict resolution skills. She took a block from this magical professor earlier in the year, and chose to do this trip with him.

In terms of Visual Arts, she has taken two blocks so far. One was “Technical Drawing” with an incredible professor named Kate Leonard. D2 chose CC because of some research on Kate, who has surpassed even our high expectations. Our daughter is an oil painter, and had quite a bit of instruction in drawing skills. She learned an incredible amount!

Her second art studio block was 3D design. One of the projects in that class was to build a chair out of cardboard that would hold two people without sagging! It was also a huge growth stretch for her. Her first science block is coming up in April. The block program is completely different: basically, your group of 15 or 20 students and a professor spent a huge amount of time focusing on one thing for 18 days.

For example, when she took Mandarin, her midterm was to read/write/speak/and listen to paragraphs - on the 8th day of class. It’s not easy: we had visions of her going on adventures on every block, but she often just wants to stay on campus and recover. There are daily reading and writing requirements for most classes, or daily studio projects, that can’t be put off for another day. On the other hand, you are completely free of responsibility every 18 days.

Randomly assigned a single: in comparison to D1, it is quite a small difference in cost between having a single and double. She has requested and we are going to allow a single for next year, as D2 is an introvert and thrives on having a quiet space. This was a surprise: at BU, singles were thousands more per semester. Colorado Springs is close and has some cute restaurants/small stores when you just need a break from campus. The “big stores” are a short Uber ride away.

Cons: D2 is a nondrinker and user. I would say honestly that there is more alcohol/some mj than she would prefer, but I think this is pretty typical for an all freshman dorm. Many kids go a little crazy with new freedom, and then settle down. This is pretty typical. She has made some great friends, and is happy with the social scene overall.

Other cons: vegan food is more expensive than it should be, and more limited in scope. She has definitely branched out: joined a skateboarding club, participated in a super fun dance concert, and is working at the gym.

In general, after seeing D1 and D2, I would say that the expression about “fit” is absolutely true. D1 went to an urban school in the Northeast, and was deliriously happy. She would have not fit at CC. D2 is deliriously happy at CC, and would not have fit into her sister’s school in the east.

I vote: TRUST YOUR DAUGHTER! She has to be in a place where she is comfortable on her worst day or her best day, and that lights her fire for learning and enjoying life. If she walked on campus and fell in love, and really wants to go, I would absolutely not hesitate. This is about HER and her fit. I get your hesitation: I wasn’t happy that both my kids are miles and miles away from home in Southern CA. That said, I want them to spread their wings and be happy. The decision was not mine, as long as the finances were doable.

One small recommendation: we signed up for a mileage card for the best airline to the college, and put all of our purchases on it. In our case, Southwest goes from Denver to Santa Ana frequently, allows baggage without cost, and dates can be modified without penalty. It’s 90 minutes to Denver airport, and there are frequently student car shares for $25ish. This makes it easy and convenient for daughter to come home for a block break, although she has been too happy to consider it so far with the exception of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break. Next year, we will likely do some block breaks together.

Beautiful campus in gorgeous setting.

Alcohol & substance free might be a bit of a challenge, however.

Students come mostly from upper middle class & upper class families financially speaking.

Because the block plan is unusual & not for everyone, I would talk to your daughter about what to do if the academic calendar doesn’t meet her needs.

Great option for those into winter sports. Lots of time for ski / snowboarding trips.

I live in CO Springs. CC is great. I honestly can’t think of a drawback to the school, other than it being far from you, which is a bummer. Let me know if you have questions. None of my kids have gone there, but it’s about 15 minutes from me and my daughter lives literally a half-mile from the school, and my niece went there. Some people are concerned about pot in CO. I promise not everyone uses it. :slight_smile: Good luck to your family. You’re a great parent for thinking things through!

Neuroscience/Visual Arts double major
CC is strong in both the sciences and fine arts. Facilities and instruction for both are stellar.

Loves the outdoors
Great place to be then. And she’ll find many peers with similar interests. CC’s Outdoor Education program is incredibly robust. Additionally, it’s easy to partake of outdoor activities - hiking, skiing, back country skiing, snowboarding, biking, rock climbing, etc. outside of the formal programs as well.

Wanted a defined campus in or near a city
CC fits this very well. One can walk or bike to downtown and around the city.

Alcohol and substance free
Like all campuses, CC students party but not all and she can find like-minded friends. I have two kids and they attended LACs on different sides of the country. Plenty of partying at both but nobody feels pressured to do so.