Colorado College: Theatre and the Block Plan

<p>Whilst Colorado College has a great reputation in Drama (and Dance), I understand that the brevity of the Block Plan makes it frustrating and difficult to produce pieces and develop work. </p>

<p>Does anyone have any experience of this and opinions?</p>

<p>Many thanks!</p>

<p>Any ideas re how the Block Plan affects the subjects of theatre and dance???</p>

<p>My S. a junior, is a Dance double major (with Mathematical Economics). He hasn’t reported any problem. I’ve met several other students in Dance and they haven’t reported any concerns.</p>

<p>Having the daily class over around noon seems to allow a lot of time to prepare rehearse, etc.</p>

<p>Thanks for your reply. If your son is actually taking a dance class, does he feel 3 1/2 weeks is too short a time to achieve what he needs to? I understand that the schedule leaves more time for rehearsals etc. Has he ever wished that he could work in a more extended rhythm?</p>

<p>ClarityR-- I do not want to steer you wrong on this, so I suggest you consider actually contacting CC Dance. </p>

<p>But, I’ll tell you what I “know.” I qualify that because my S NEVER had any interest or experience in Dance before college. That means I am a novice at this.</p>

<p>Below is a link to the Dance Adjuncts. These are the “dance classes” if you mean the “how to” courses. You will note that the class is usually several days a week in the afternoon and is offered over a series of blocks. That may actually provide for an extended rhythm.</p>

<p>[Colorado</a> College Drama](<a href=“http://www.ccdrama.com/inside.php?page=adjuncts]Colorado”>http://www.ccdrama.com/inside.php?page=adjuncts)</p>

<p>My S informed me that since he had never had ballet, he was going to have to “get in” a years worth of ballet this year and that he was doing it by taking the beginner and intermediate ballet adjunct classes. He also is involved in student performances that are throughout the year at night and require a try out, but are student run. </p>

<p>There is also a faculty Dance Performance (once each year) that the students can try out for. It is a much more regimented endeavor since the faculty is directly involved. So, my S has the adjuncts (for how to’s), the student performances for group participation, the faculty Dance Performance for a more professional experience and the academic classes (see below)</p>

<p>Then there are the academic classes required in the Dance major. They are not what I understand to be “dance classes.” They are in the morning, as are most other block courses.</p>

<p>My S has been most enamored with choreography, but loves performance as well. He used his “free block” (the one block for each student with no tuition) last summer to attend the CC Summer Dance Workshop. He has met a performance musician who graduated from CC and stayed around in Colorado Springs for a time. My S and a female dance partner have done a dance performance as part of the muscian’s performance in paid venue(s) around CC.</p>

<p>The performance musician has been asked to perform at an established performance venue in Boston in early to mid-January 2010 and my S and the female are going to be the dance part of that performance. So, there is some actual opportunity to perform for a wider public.</p>

<p>I hope this helps. BTW–I have been extremely pleased with Colorado College.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for your detailed reply: I find it very inspiring that your son actually discovered dance at CC! That is a wonderful recommendation for the college: I feel that is what a true education is about–discovering new areas to explore.</p>

<p>My daughter would be more interested in Drama than Dance, and I think we both need to see the college first-hand to get a sense of the atmosphere. Very good to hear how happy, busy and dedicated your son is!</p>