colorado college?

<p>is the block schedule a good thing? how is the campus and the town? how hard are the classes?</p>

<p>bumppppppppppp</p>

<p>anyone???????//</p>

<p>nobody?????/</p>

<p>I applied there, seems FUN!</p>

<p>Even a lot of fun!!!</p>

<p>i live in csprings. the town sucks. a lot. sorry to say - its military, with a lot of retired or otherwise white-bread people. also, it's a hotbed of political and religious conservatism, so i guess if youre' into that its... ok. but if you applied to cc you likely arent. </p>

<p>on a lighter note, the block plan i think is the best idea ever. EVER. i know that i'm constantly struggling with doing too many things at once because i like to pursue my passions to the fullest, but with the block plan you get to do one thing and do it FULLY and WELL, devote all your time to one subject and then find another! it really appeals to me. but if youre the kind of person who needs to jump from one thing to another within a day in order to get things done or something, then it probably won't work for you. </p>

<p>but it makes for really interesting classes and incredible learning opportunities - week long field trips, for example, that your profs can schedule as THEY want without having to worry about other parts of their studen'ts schedules. and the professors are amazing, too. i know a lot of them - friends of the family, cuz my dad taught psych for years and my mom is an alumna. really interesting people, with strong passions for their subjects and for learning/etc in general. </p>

<p>so yeah. and i hear most classes are pretty manageable - stimulating, challenging, whatever, but not murderous. except for hard sciences. lab sciences on the block plan suck. or so i've heard. </p>

<p>actually, i should modify what i said about the town - just don't EVER go out north or east. but downtown/old north end area are pretty nice. some cute shops and restauraunts, etc., and reasonable people. and the campus is pretty, modeled after old new england college campuses, so beautiful stonework and attempts at big sprawling trees - but the climate isnt great for that. some buildings, like the library, aren't as pretty... but i think they're fixing stuff up. also, you have the mountains in the background - and they're big. i don't know where you're from, but if you don't know the rockies you're gonna be amazed. right now pikes peak is snowcovered and it's pretty much the hottest thing ever. i love the mountains. </p>

<p>hope this helps. ask more specific questions!</p>

<p>Thanks for the detailed info, I like the university and I know that if I want to study I would have to sacrifice my time and there won't be much time to go around the town and stuff, so it is enough that it is a big city. Actually I don't know about the rockies, I am from Eastern Europe, never been to the US.</p>

<p>wow! i don't know a lot of international students, so that's awesome. i do know that cc at least - as well as TONS of other us colleges - are actively seeking people from other countries. where specifically are you from?</p>

<p>also, there are mountains in europe that probably rival ours. i was referring to like the appalacians in the north east part of this country that are SO not real mountains but everybody there tries to pretend they are. i don't know, eastern europe is pretty flat tho, right? i mean the alps are tons cooler than the rockies, but there's sorta a big plain over most of the north and east of europe. correct me if im' wrong.</p>

<p>Yeah, I know that US colleges would prefer an intel to an US person with the same stats and the same amount of annual financial contribution. However, most intels really need a lot of fin aid (I could pay $3000 at most for tuition and room&board) so thats why there aren't so many accepted. CC gives two full scholarships per year for intels, so I hope I would get one of them...</p>

<p>About mountains, I am from Sofia, capitol of Bulgaria and I am surrounded by mountains (now here's a lot of snow), so I doubt that I would be that much impressed :(.</p>

<p>[Edit] South-East Europe is not flat :).</p>

<p>i applied to cc as well and am waiting to hear back. i visited during xmas break the campus is gorgeous as are the mountains. much different from the general flatness of texas</p>

<p>I went to CC for summer session this summer (C Block!). I only took one course during the three week session, so that is the basis of my comments.</p>

<p>CC was really cool! I really enjoyed it, and the campus is beautiful. If you go off campus, I'd agree with 'courtette' in the fact that the rest of the city is pretty run down, but i'd venture to say that CC is a nice little bubble, if that's what you're looking for. the downtown is really nice. there are iron sculptures of like snowmen and some random in the downtown that's pretty cool. There's a jamba juice, a chipotle, a several great locally owned and operated ice cream shops, just to mention a few things in downtown. CC, i feel, takes deep pride in their landscaping. their grass is like the greenest in all of co springs partly because they water the grass everyfreaking night for like 2 hours. i got caught in by the sprinklers on several occasions.</p>

<p>the weather, while i was there, was extremely moody. as if it couldn't make up it's mind. there was no AC in the dorm rooms (they provided a little floor fan) but we managed to get by (i was there in the summer, maybe that's why it was hot).</p>

<p>transportation- i would find it easier to have a car, if you plan to go off campus to like a mall or what not. the walk to the bus stop (in downtown) is pretty far, 25 mins or so. and the people who ride the bus aren't the most, erm, 'normal,' for the lack of a better word. the ride to the mall that takes 10-15 mins max by car took an hour. there are 2 malls in CO springs, chapell hills and something else, further from campus. i'd say both are decent but the further one is better.</p>

<p>the people at CC are pretty cool. most come from well off families. i noticed while i was there that there were a lot of people from the east coast, like boston (red socks fans.. lol) etc. i took a psychology of racism while i was there. we did a some surveys of the students there during the summer, and one was about socioeconomic background. many of the students we surveyed said that they did not qualify for financial aid and their parents made a combined income of over 200,000. i think that's the norm for a small private liberal arts college though. </p>

<p>but before i write an essay, i'll say that i enjoyed CC. however, I did not apply to CC because they do not have a business program. other than that, i would have loved to go to CC. if you have an questions, feel free to post 'em or PM me. GL to everyone! i know 2 people who have gotten in and 1 person who has been rejected, all from Texas.
PS. they're really good in hockey, too! go tigers!
PpSs. people on the board have been saying that there are not a lot of international students. while i was there, i rmbr the statistic that 4% of the student body was international, and there were 2 international students in my class of about 15-20 students.</p>

<p>is it difficult to sit in a class for so long? i take 7 classes a day in hs and they are only 50 mins each.....maybe im add</p>

<p>i had quite a lenghty post before i messed up the window so this post will be short.</p>

<p>they are 3 hour classes. mine was from 9 to 12. at times, i found it hard to concentrate, but because the professor i had taught in more of a discussion format, i was engaged in the class, and thus, less likely to lose my concentration. the professor i had gave us 5-10 min breaks every hours (so i had one at 10, and then another one at 11). but again, that depends on the professor. and if you're feeling ADD on some day, you could simply walk out for like 5-10 mins and take a breather or w.e. it wasn't really a problem for me though, paying attention. hope this helps.</p>

<p>Our son is a recent CC grad and the opportunites that are available (attending a liberal arts college in general) were amazing. He was able to be a varsity athlete and also able to pursue things he never had before..acting, singing, being in bands, performing, and traveling to places he would never otherwise travel to.
Now he is in law school and feels the Block Plan has enabled him to be very efficient with his time and focus well (traits he never had in high school). The seminar style classes really encourages critical thinking and the ability to back up what you think and say.<br>
I think CC is the one of the only liberal arts college that is lopcated in a city (albeit not a metropolis) yet is close enough to great outdoor recreation...skiing, hiking, fishing, camping, etc. Denver has it's major league sports and cultural activities..less than an hour away.</p>