Columbia University Science Honors Program ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

<p>Is anyone besides me taking the test on April 10th instead of the 24th?</p>

<p>@shaheirrudin: I donā€™t think theyā€™ve given out everyoneā€™s individual test date yet (just because most people probably will put the 24th so they get more time to prepare, so some people might be shifted to the 10th.) But I put my preferred date as the 24th.</p>

<p>I am so nervous. I really want to get in. What should I study? I have done math up to Al II hns and I am taking Honors Bio as Freshman.</p>

<p>Iā€™m taking it on 24th April</p>

<p>Iā€™m a Junior at Brooklyn Tech and I got a 90 Average, I take AP physics B and Iā€™m studying a lot of discrete math for the AMC portion of the test, what is my chance of getting in</p>

<p>xdrgnh^
I am sure you will have no problem. From what I have read Itā€™s not such a hard test to pass. Just not alot of people get in.</p>

<p>Hey everyone!</p>

<p>I took the exam as a freshman (now Iā€™m a junior) and was accepted - itā€™s a great program where you can meet a lot of brilliant yet chill and nice people that you wouldnā€™t normally get a chance to meet. Plus the classes can be really interesting, and this year string theorist Brian Greene gave us a special lecture. I was accepted into the Research Science Institute (RSI) this summer, and I think having SHP helped somewhat. A lot of SHPers end up at other summer programs like governorā€™s schools and also at good colleges. </p>

<p>The most important, by far, aspect of your application is the exam. The first math section is pretty basic (they expect you to pretty much get close to all of the questions right), the second general science, and the third harder math. I took physics freshman year, but a lot of the science was interpreting data/graphs with a lot of common sense. There are always a couple specific questions (for example - circuits, titration, nuclear fissionā€¦) but you canā€™t really study for this exam (I tried ;] ). </p>

<p>The third math section is the one that definitely is weighted the most. When I took the exam, there were 25 questions. I didnā€™t answer all of them, but I think if you answer around half then youā€™re pretty competitive. </p>

<p>Good luck!!! I hope some of you are accepted :]</p>

<p>has anyone gotten the ticket for the entrance exam yet? i logged into the website but i canā€™t find the ticket.</p>

<p>i havent been able to find the ticket either.</p>

<p>also, i looked at the beginning of this forum, and a bunch of people were talking about the AMC. is that the AMC 10 or the AMC 12? would a 130 on the AMC 10 be about what would be necessary to get in?</p>

<p>Did you guys check the application page then click the documents and its in there. Iā€™m takng it on the 24th</p>

<p>Taking it on the 10th.</p>

<p>@miler452 I never even took the AMC and got in if that makes a difference. </p>

<p>Iā€™ve taken the test 2x and found the ā€œhardā€ math sections on the two tests extremely different. I took the test first freshman year and didnā€™t get in. I took it again sophomore year and did. The 1st two sections, however, seemed like regents (for those of you who live in NY) material. I donā€™t even think the 1st math section reached as far as Math B (yes I know they changed the system nowā€¦ blahh).</p>

<p>Freshman year it seemed like a lot more of an ā€œachievementā€ test. There was calculus and along with a lot of other subjects I had never seen before. However, sophomore year it was more logic. I remember one question that was like ā€œyou have a 600 x 600 x 600 cube, how many cubes are exposed to the outside.ā€</p>

<p>Is the answer to the cube question 2152808? Also, are we allowed to use calculators on the exam?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>you have a 600 x 600 x 600 cube, how many cubes are exposed to the outside.?</p>

<p>How would you answer this question and what in the world is the question asking for? lol</p>

<p>From what I understand, I would assume the question is asking for surface area.</p>

<p>So (600<em>600</em>600)/6 faces on a cube= 36,000,000?</p>

<p>Or maybe this (600<em>600</em>600)/(600^2*6)= 2,160,000?</p>

<p>^ Or maybe it could be this (600^2 * 6) = 2,160,000</p>

<p>im pretty sure the way you do this is </p>

<p>(599 squared x 6)+(600x4)+(598x8) = some number im not gonna bother calculating</p>

<p>because you have to find the number of 1x1 cubes on the outsideā€¦however, the edges have more than one</p>

<p>HII okay so im a freshman taking this test April 24th D: ā€¦ im confused about something they deduct points for wrong answers ? Someone explain it to me please ): ā€¦ oh and btw i looked at those AMC 10/12 questions and dayumm they seemed DIFFICULT i just stared at the probs for an hour zomg imma fail tht test for sure -SAD FACE-</p>

<p>Could someone give me a link to AMC 10/12 questions so that I can get a look at them lol.</p>

<p>yep, i also got 2152808</p>

<p>How are you getting 2152808 , they ask for the # of cubes exposed to the outside , so 1 face of the cube would be 600x600 , making a total of 360000 cubes on 1 face , multiply tht number by 6 and u get 2160000</p>