Columbia University Science Honors Program ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

<p>where do i get the address for the mathematics hall? is it on the application page??</p>

<p>hi guysā€¦im a freshmanā€¦im gonna take the test on April 10th. Wut do we need to know about the Trig section on the test? Is the test rly that hard? Do they ONLY look at the testā€¦wut if u write a killer essay? =D Plz tell me! Thx! =D</p>

<p>The directions and the map come in your email along with the Entrance Examination Ticket Direction. Also, for Trigonometry, I heard you have to know far upto the level of Precalc Trig.</p>

<p>last year there was only one question on the ā€œchallengeā€ math section that required trig knowledge. the rest could be answered with standard h.s. math and a little ingenuity.
as for the science bit, donā€™t worry: the curve (i believe there is a slight one for underclassmen) should compensate.
donā€™t bother preparing, i donā€™t think itā€™d help: the test is too broad.
is anyone taking the test in pupin? cuz thatā€™s where most of the shp classes are given</p>

<p>so it wont help right? likeā€¦i rly want to get into the programā€¦and im like rly smart in math and science, but like i freak out alot! lol. :stuck_out_tongue: so i was wondering, like is the challenge math section rly that challenging? and what ist he format of teh test? plz reply asap!</p>

<p>So even practicing amc10/12 problems online wont help?</p>

<p>i saw some of those AMC 10/12 questions , they were difficult some of them i was puzzled other i could figure out , just think outside of the box ā€¦ im good in math and science too , just so everyone knows the science is regents level which is the good part and i heard its mostly earth sci and bio so im going to review tht , hehe i RLY want to get in this program but if i donā€™t thereā€™s always next year and the year after tht (:</p>

<p>hehe im in room 417 international affairs blding (: anyone with me ?</p>

<p>Hey, can someone tell me if we are allowed to use a calculator on the test? Thanks.</p>

<p>I know this was said already but remember for the people taking the exam on the 10th. Try as hard as you can to try to remember the type of questions that are on the exam and post them on this forum. Good luck everyone and godspeed</p>

<p>@falling4rain: iā€™m pretty sure iā€™m in the same room, iā€™ll have to double check</p>

<p>No calculator allowed on the test. This sucks :/</p>

<p>anyone else in room 517 in Hamilton Hall for the 10th? and i know ive asked this before, but im still hoping someone will answer. are the challenge questions more akin to the AMC 12, or the AMC 10?</p>

<p>Iā€™m in room Room 309 Havemeyer Hall</p>

<p>hi so i know im a little late to this hahah but im taking the test and im a freshman. ive taken bio, algebra , and am taking chem and geometry right now. how hard is the really hard math part? cuz thats the only thing im really nervous about. i heard that you need to know trig but i like completley forget trig so is that gonna be a problem? sorry if im freaking out but im just realllly nervous and dont know what to expect for the challenging math part. so help pleasee. thanks</p>

<p>@falling4rain
Iā€™m in the sam e room as you!!!</p>

<p>@JHUgirl , rly ? yayy , hehe im rly small like i look like a 6th grade so yea thts me :slight_smile: ā€¦ SIT NEXT TO ME so i can cheatā€¦ uhh i mean compare answers w. u ā€¦ lmao jk :wink: and the challenge math theres only 15 ques , and chances are only 1 of them are gonna deal w. trig so dont sweat it , and if weā€™re dealing w. trig shudnt we use a calculater :open_mouth: ā€¦ but they sed no calcā€™s allowed ): ā€¦</p>

<p>IDK, maybe theyā€™ll give us a refernece sheet</p>

<p>Iā€™m in the math hall in front of broadway room 300 something. I hope I donā€™t get lost lol :/</p>

<p>from what ive seen in the earlier part of this thread, the trig problems are relatively straightforward. the only one i saw that was posted basically dealt with ratios of sides using 30-60-90, and 45-45-90 right triangles</p>