Combined Bacheleors and Masters

Okay I will be attending Purdue University next year. I have about 23 dual credits and ap credits. I wanted to know if it was possible to complete an accelerated BS/MS in computer science at Purdue in 4 years. I know you there is a 5 year program but I want to complete the program in 4 years because I am a little older and want to head into the field faster. I can take summer classes an will take about 18 credits every semester maybe more. I can take summer classes for my first year but I would rather intern for my 2nd and 3rd. It would be great to hear from people who have done this and their opinions. Thanks.

I think you are jumping way ahead of yourself and that can backfire on you. You wanted to graduate high school in three years and now you want to rush through college. First work on getting accepted. For that you need good stats. Good grades, good test scores, recommendations and good ec’s. Earlier you had planned on studying pharmacy and now it’s computer science. What guarantee is there when you get to college you won’t change your mind? Take it one step at a time. You may have not felt that high school was challenging but college classes are quite different.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone taking 18 or more credits a semester. That is a recipe for failure. One thing you have to consider is that some courses may only be offered in fall or spring. The classes you need may not be offered during the summer. Usually for accelerated programs you first have to perform well and have a very good gpa and then apply for your master’s sometime junior year. First you have to get admitted to a school. I don’t know if Purdue has an accelerated program as I didn’t see anything on their website. Getting admission into their computer science program is very competitive so first things first make sure you have a strong application before considering where you are a good match.

Contact your academic advisor.

My DD had over a years worth of credits going into college. She graduated early and then got a Master’s in Education all within 4 years. So it can be done.

Thanks so much. I hope to do the same as your DD just in computer science instead. I just wanted to know if anyone had done this before. This gives me so much hope lol. Also how is the IUPUI computer science department ? Is it good? Do I have good job prospects after graduating to maybe work for Amazon or Microsoft etc.