Coming For a Visit This Friday

<p>After reading the great advice from those on this forum we contacted the Honors College and scheduled a visit for this Friday. We are eagerly awaiting the information packet being mailed to us with instructions and schedule. The guided tours were booked, but we can schedule that at a later time; we might go off on our own some if we have time. </p>

<p>My daughter has also started doing some research on her own, even on this forum. Dr. Sharpe will be out of town, but we hope to meet with others. We are also scheduled to meet with a couple of people on the Crimson Cabaret and will try to fit in as much as we can.</p>

<p>While we can always change later, we are hoping to have a major to put on the on-line application 1 July. My daughter is teetering between a major of CS with a minor in MIS, and a major of MIS with a minor in CS.</p>

<p>We will drive up on Thursday afternoon and be ready for visit first thing Friday morning. We are really excited and our middle daughter who is a rising high school sophmore will also go on the visit with us. Youngest daughter, rising 7th grader, will have to sit this one out – although she already has her mind made up to attend Bama.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the advice posted here, it helps those clueless parents like me out a whole lot.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>The guided tours were booked,</p>

<p>Some people don’t show up for their tour time, so you might check into that on Friday. </p>

<p>*My daughter is teetering between a major of CS with a minor in MIS, and a major of MIS with a minor in CS.</p>

<p>We will drive up on Thursday afternoon and be ready for visit *</p>

<p>what are your D’s scores? If she’s a CS major, that may mean significantly more merit money. CS is in engineering.</p>

<p>Good luck!!</p>

<p>“Some people don’t show up for their tour time, so you might check into that on Friday”.</p>

<p>Will check into that – wonder if the will know in advance someone is not coming or if we will need to hang out?</p>

<p>“what are your D’s scores? If she’s a CS major, that may mean significantly more merit money. CS is in engineering.”</p>

<p>In State
ACT 31
GPA 3.967
Rank 9 out of 240
=Presidential</p>

<p>Yes, the CS looks like it would put an extra $2500 a year for 4 years into her pocket (or purse) - but it also looks more challenging (to me) than MIS… Will leave it up to her though.</p>

<p>Again, thanks for all the good advice here, I’m sure I will need a lot more as we progress. Our plan is to submit the application on 1 July, then wait for the UA email, then apply for scholarships… Have ACT and transcripts sent to UA – and just wait from there.</p>

<p>We want to visit again in the Fall – as a prospect – and again during Bama Bound next year; </p>

<p>Once she submits application we plan on trying to put together a schedule using “rate my professor” – also sounds like if she wants to do the Outdoor Honors class she needs to register early and come early…</p>

<p>All things we’ve picked up here :)</p>

<p>RTR!</p>

<p>Welcome BamaAF, sent you a PM, might be able to help with tours.</p>

<p>Be sure to look through buzymom3’s thread for more itips on a first visits. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1149403-first-campus-visit-help-please.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1149403-first-campus-visit-help-please.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>*“what are your D’s scores? If she’s a CS major, that may mean significantly more merit money. CS is in engineering.”</p>

<p>In State
ACT 31
GPA 3.967
Rank 9 out of 240
=Presidential</p>

<p>Yes, the CS looks like it would put an extra $2500 a year for 4 years into her pocket (or purse) - but it also looks more challenging (to me) than MIS… Will leave it up to her though.*</p>

<p>You’re instate, right?</p>

<p>Are you the one with the 3 daughters?</p>

<p>Yes – I have 3 daughters and you and others have been great over the last year + answering questions. We are in state and purchased a garden home last year (soon after joining this forum and asking questions) off of Buttermilk Road (River Forest Gardens); Turned out a blessing as my FIL (lives in Tuscaloosa) had a minor stroke and we have been staying there while helping – now my FIL/MIL are staying there while we work out details with insurance and other items because their house was badly damaged in the Alberta City/Holt area and they can’t live in it right now (they made it to the basement and were uninjured). Our hopes are that our daughter can stay in this garden home as a freshman, but even if not, as a sophmore up. Even with attending many Bama football and basketball games, and my daughters having dance and cheer camps at Bama, we’ve never actually toured the campus nor had any dealings with the academic side of the school – this will be new ground for us.</p>

<p>Wife asked me a good question this morning – has anyone brought a younger sibling along for the visit? We are bringing our middle daughter who is a rising sophmore, but younger daughter who is a rising 7th grader also wants to come along.</p>

<p>Sure…people bring younger sibs. However, since the 7th grader may not be all that interested in hearing all the various things, have her bring a book or something that can distract her if she finds some of the stuff “over her head” or …well…boring for a 7th grader.</p>

<p>BamaAF - sent you a PM :)</p>

<p>Hi BamaAF
We did the big tours late last week. In our group for the scheduled tour we had 10 people not show up…we waited a few minutes and then off we went. So there is definately the possibility that some people will not show.</p>

<p>As far as bringing a sibling along. I noticed that there were 2 younger siblings on the tour bus. One had to be about 9 and the other around 11 or 12. They seemed to find it interesting and they certainly were not antsy.</p>

<p>Jami in the Honors College was a huge help and we were able to get things added on once we were on campus. Make sure to see the Honors dorms, but also go and see the ‘regular’ dorms just in case. I know you have a place locally, but it is just good to see them just in case she decides to live on campus.</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. We just came back on Friday from our tours and they were amazing!</p>

<p>Hope that helps a little.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the info</p>

<p>My daughter and I are scheduled to visit the campus on July 8th. We are coming from Michigan and it would be nice to squeeze in as much as possible on the day that we are there. I have contacted Jami in the Honors College twice (via e-mail), once a couple weeks ago and then again yesterday with no response. Does it typically take her a while to get back to you?</p>

<p>My experience is that she WILL get back to you, but you could also call her at the office. Since she does A LOT of these, she may “batch” the scheduling closer to the actual visit since she is actually scheduling people guides and interviews and schedules need to be known closer to the time of the visit. My suggestion is to give her a call, and she or someone in the office will ease your angst. :slight_smile: You will be amazed!</p>

<p>*I have contacted Jami in the Honors College twice (via e-mail), once a couple weeks ago and then again yesterday with no response. Does it typically take her a while to get back to you? *</p>

<p>Do this…</p>

<p>Call Jami or Allison.</p>

<p>Resend your email and include Allison’s email address.</p>

<p>Jami Gates
Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:jami.n.gates@ua.edu”>jami.n.gates@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison Verhine
Associate Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Oh wow…</p>

<p>I just talked to Allison…call her NOW…she’s in the office.</p>

<p>205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Our dear Jami is moving to a new position with the recruitment for the Law School. (best wishes for her, but boo hoo for the rest of us. )</p>

<p>Congrats to Jami on her big move! Hope Allison is prepared for the onslaught of questions from here :)</p>

<p>Teamhoward, is your name a reference to the Nats, or some celebrity Jersey shore thing that I don’t get :wink:
In any event, welcome and roll tide. We were visiting last year at this time.</p>

<p>I’m glad to hear that Jami got promoted and know that she will do well wherever she works. Allison is a very talented recruiter and will be able to continue the culture of friendliness and success that the Honors College is known for.</p>

<p>While I’m happy Jami got promoted, I’ll miss seeing her in the office!! Ah well, good for her, she’s an awesome recruiter! :slight_smile: The Law School is lucky to have her now!</p>