Communications/Journalism grad?? undergrad??

<p>I have a few questions about the various majors/minor and possible careers. I'm beginning the application process now (for undergrad, rising senior in high school) and am overwhelmed at not only career options, but also just university options. </p>

<p>Ultimately, I want to be working with media, post-grad - whether it's print or broadcast or whatever. However, I don't want to just major in journalism, undergrad or grad, to limit my career options. I've heard people say to major in something broad undergrad, like marketing, psychology, or public relations, over communications/journalism in order to keep more doors open. And I'd like to have a lot of options and not put all my eggs in one basket, but also not waste time with a degree I may not use. </p>

<p>On top of that, I'm lost on where to apply. I'd like to go to a school that has connections in the media world, but not a huge school. I am looking at Boston College, Georgetown, Lehigh, Wesleyan, W&M and Villanova - and possibly Penn State. I do want a liberal arts education at a smaller school, but I am also interested in establishing connections and getting my foot in the door. I know there are schools that specialize and are known for their communications programs. Should I take a chance and apply at one of those or keep my choices?</p>