Community college route? Ask a UCI transfer student anything!

<p>Hey guys! I’m a transfer student about to start UCI as an Bizecon major this Fall 2014, and I wanted to reach out to all you high school folks who are taking the community college route hoping to successfully transfer into a UC in 2 years! I would love to hear what you guys have to say and am open to answering any questions. </p>

<p>I started this post because back when I graduated high school in 2012, I felt pretty lost and confused after getting rejected to nearly ALL the UCs I’ve applied to and feeling like I hit rock bottom because I was forced to take the dreaded community college route. Many people seem to talk smack about community college and look down on CC students, but it has honestly been one of the wisest decisions I’ve ever made. Even through CC, I was able to manage a vibrant social life in and out of school and maintain my time well. Recently, I’ve just gotten accepted to UCSD, UCSB, CSUF, and UCI (where I’ll be attending). I have a lot more options now than I did back in high school!</p>

<p>Back then, I wish I had some guidance before starting CC, but I really didn’t have anyone to look to for advice, which is why I wanna be here to help you guys. If you guys have any questions on getting classes, adjusting, I’m here to give any of those who want pointers/advice/tips on successfully transferring into a UC after 2 years, or if you just wanna talk and ask some questions! Don’t be shy, ask away :)</p>

<p>Hey beeds1028,</p>

<p>I think this is a really good idea and that it will be really helpful for students like me. I have a couple questions that I would like to ask.
So I am a recent high school graduate who is looking forward to pursue the community college then transfer to a UC route. </p>

<ol>
<li><p>So I know that all you need is the GE courses, but are they different for each major? I did some research and some majors require extra courses/units than others.</p></li>
<li><p>I want to take the pre-med track and I was wondering what would be the best major to apply as to maximize my chances of getting in.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Also, will applying to the same colleges that you didn’t get in the first time, affect your chances of getting accepted?</p>

<p>Thank you so much in advance for all your help! :)</p>

<p>@bubbles4 GE courses are generally the same for each major, however some majors may require specific GE courses to be done–for example say, Economics major. You would need to take Macroeconomics + Microeconomics and possibly coupled with Psychology or Anthropology. It’s different for each major and school so you should do your research on the school website for that. </p>

<p>Also, my friend took the pre-med track too, but realized it was too competitive to get into the pre-med program at UCI. If doing something in the medical field is what you like, I suggest you try applying with the biochemistry major–which is not as impacted as the pre-med/bio major but is technically the same route if you are trying to be a doctor/practitioner/etc. </p>

<p>Hope this helps :)</p>

<p>Great news for you! Did your cc track prepare to easily transfer and make that transition. Or have you talked with student a bit ahead of you to find out if their cc courses adequately prepared them for the transition or rigor of the UCs.? Also was there an advisor at the cc that helps with this process?</p>