Compensating for a Poor GPA through Test Scores

<p>Generally, how many SAT (or ACT) points above the mean must compensate for each .1 UCGPA below the mean for a particular UC to make it a match, not taking other admissions factors into consideration (essays, socioeconomic status,etc.)? I personally have the misfortune of having relatively high SATs coupled with weak grades.</p>

<p>iLikeFood, both of my younger kids had your problem. (34 ACT + 3.8 GPA most recently) The answer, unfortunately, is that high test scores actually probably won't help much. I think they both ended up being accepted and rejected at the UC campuses that they would have gotten those responses from if their test scores were more in line with their GPAs.</p>

<p>Unlike USC (which loves high test scores), all UCs are more concerned with higher grades.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses!</p>

<p>I'd like to be more specific now. Will a 2340 SAT Reasoning and 800/790/770 SAT Subjects compensate for a 3.9 UC GPA at UCLA?</p>

<p>it depends on what a 3.9 means at your HS. If your HS is grade-inflated such that a 3.9 is the top 25% of your class, UCLA wouldn't be look too kindly at it. OTOH, if a 3.9 puts you in the top 5-10%, then strong essays could result in a favorable outcome.</p>

<p>You still stand a chance depending on other factors.</p>

<p>UC posts very informative charts on their recently admitted classes. Here's UCLA's: <a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/selecting/camp_profiles/ucla_chart.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/selecting/camp_profiles/ucla_chart.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>As you can see, applicants with over a 4.0 UCGPA are admitted just over 50% of the time. Under a 4.0 that drops below 10%. I've known of just respectably bright kids with 4.0's in undemanding high school courses accepted while a student with numerous honors and AP courses (some of which resulted in B's) got rejected. UCLA uses "holistic" admissions, so if you have some interesting attribute that could make a big difference. (If you're a recruited athlete, of course, that makes all the difference.) I'm just a dad who has been looking at this stuff since my oldest kid was old enough to apply to college, but it looks like GPA is the gold standard at the top UC's, plain and simple. (Of course, they say that, too, which tends to support the theory.)</p>

<p>3.9 is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. But don't consider UCLA or Berkeley to be a "match" with under a 4.0, no matter what your test scores are.</p>