"Competitive clubs" in colleges

IB seems to be taking far more from state schools now,so those often do have accounting. Not so many target kids want the IB hours…see, eg, the GS13

1 Like

I would say the competitive business frat was a huge part of S’ overall college experience. 1. It stretched him as a freshmen and he made plenty of friends (upper classmen /women) outside his core group. 2. He helped his core group get involved (those that wanted to - about half). 3. He was active in leadership and actually creating impact which he enjoyed. 4. Many parties and social events tied to the org all four yrs. 5. played several intramural sports on the business frat team.
Although they had Greek letters, no one would confuse them with a Greek org. But they did have big/little, mountain and beach weekend, semi formals and date events. Lots of kids from lots of majors. Several “brothers” were in other traditional frats and sororities (business frat is coed). S had no interest in traditional frats but the business frat was great for him. Kind of “Greek lite”.

Thought it was pretty cool that he presented networking workshops via zoom during the height of the pandemic to help his brothers improve their job seeking skills. Also put together a useful alumni reference doc across many industries.

He didn’t go to college seeking the business frat. Actually had never heard of it. It found him and he really enjoyed it.

6 Likes

MBB offers Sophmore summer internships for certain URM. This will give a full year advance in the time-line to those individuals. Deloitte even offers a Freshman summer internships type experience.

2 Likes

My son’s experience with IB interviews was a bit different. He did have many interviews during his sophomore year, and he is not a URM ( nor female, obviously!) It is the case that there are many special IB internship programs for URM and women, so it can seem as though there are no opportunities for white males, but they are out there, just very competitive!

2 Likes

I see that Rice does indeed have a competitive consulting club (Rice Consulting for undergraduates). There is an application process, just like at the other top schools being discussed. I would say that my children have found the overall atmosphere at Harvard to be exceedingly collaborative, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t application processes for clubs such as the consulting club. FYI, my child does have an MBB offer and did not choose to apply to the consulting club. I would be curious to see data if belonging to the clubs actually increase the odds of gaining an offer. I’m not so convinced it plays that important a role. The club at Harvard (similar to Rice and probably most of these clubs) focuses on doing actual consulting work pro-bono for real organizations. The purpose is not “interview prep” but to do actual consulting. But again, I am skeptical that it’s really that important to obtaining an offer.

3 Likes

I have never heard of a competitive club at Rice and I’m still not sure the consulting one is. I see they have applications but I suspect that is more to create teams than to weed people out. The school is so small, and so few go into consulting, I find it hard to believe that there are that many students interested that they’d be turning many away. And it’s very unlike the culture at Rice, I don’t think it would go over well. But I guess it’s possible.