Competitive Gymnastics vs other extra curriculars

This what I’m doing. I actually coach at the same gym. These relationships have allowed me to get to a place where I can build the schedule I need,

4 Likes

That sounds great then!

It’s actually made me miss competing more. Due to school, I ended up coaching the team during the school year. That and one of my coaches saying he could have me ready in three months time to compete at one meet.

1 Like

It sounds like you know what you really want to do here. I think you should follow your heart.

7 Likes

I’m another vote for competitive gymnastics, not because it’s better or worse for college apps, but because I disagree with your mom about the potential life lessons: there is way more to learn in high-level gymnastics — about yourself, about hard work, about the realities of life and limits, about fear and physics and physiology and so much more — compared to mock trial. Just my opinion.

1 Like

I am a gymnastics coach and completely appriciate the dedication and committment it takes. That being said, college gymnastics at the recruited level is not likely if you are a level 6/7 at this point but you could continue at the club level if you are still interested in it. Gymnastics will provide you with valuable leadership opportunities both if you coach younger classes at your gym and within your team. Additionally, the hours you train can be inputted on your college applications and will be appreciated. Go where your heart leads you, you are only young once. But gymnastics is a huge financial commitment for your family so be sure they are able to support your dream at this level of training and competing.

2 Likes

Do what you love- colleges prefer that.

2 Likes

You are right, your mother is wrong.

Short story (those who have heard it can skip this post).

My kid was active as a freshman in her LGBTQ advocacy club as a freshman, and nothing was happening - a few kids sitting around complaining how the world was bad. We told her that she should drop it and find a place where she could do something. Instead she stayed, and at the beginning of her next year (sophomore) went with a friend to the teacher/mentor and told her (the teacher) that they were taking over. By the time my kid stepped down as the leader, it was one of the largest clubs in the school, with an annual fair, an annual fundraiser, awards, and she had been interviewed by a number of radio stations and local papers. It also was one of the reasons she was nominated for the scholarship which is paying for her tution at a very good college.

TL;DR Daughter chose something she loved over something that “would look better on college aps”, and as a result was selected for admission + full tuition scholarship to an “elite” college.

4 Likes