Computer Based Honors Question

Does the CBHP finalist weekend help a student determine if this program is a good fit for them? Our son is very excited about the program, but I’m concerned that he is not “science oriented” enough for this to be a good fit. He enjoys literature, philosophy, and discussion based classes. He is leaning toward political science/law. What is your experience or advice?

jmkpcc;

I had the same question when we toured and met with the CBHP staff last Fall. At times, I had heard this group referenced as the “nerdy” super intelligent group on campus. On this forum last December, someone posted all the titles for the senior CBHP presentations, to encourage people to listen in/attend/watch on-line. I am sure you can still find it for your reference. There are a significant amount of those research presentations that are deeply routed in the sciences and in engineering. However, there are probably 15-20% that are not. So, there are certainly “non science” based students involved, and sticking it out the whole four years based on the presentation titles.

However, I do think you have to also think about the group as a whole, and that they spend a lot of time together in class and outside of class. I’d rely upon the experience of the CBHP’ers on this site, and their parents, to comment about whether the weekend can help discern an answer.

Yes, it does help students understand the program better and he will definitely be able to determine if he’d like to participate with the other students who are currently in (will be in) CBH. Students are allowed to pick their research projects. Since they have several different departments/majors represented these are definitely not all lab projects. FWIW, I think students who want to study something other than Engineering have an advantage in terms of selection b/c they want diversity.

I’m not sure if you are considering the computer program the science part you’re questioning or just in general. They are required to take 2 semesters of programming (Fortran and C++) freshman year. These fulfill the foreign language requirement. No prior experience is necessary. They are allowed, even encouraged, to work together on projects so they do get help (they have to understand the content for quizzes though so they do learn the material)

In terms of science, he will have the opportunity to listen to presentations from his classmates on the results of their research which are supposed to be geared to people who do not have previous knowledge on the subject. They will also have topical seminars (they choose a topic interesting to them and do a 20-30 minute presentation and Q&A). This not only provides them with the opportunity to give a college level presentation, but be able to defend their conclusions (these sharp kids can ask some very tough questions) I would think if he has any interest in technology, gaining new understanding, or current events he’d really enjoy the class itself.

I’m not saying that CBH is for everyone, but it is an amazing program. I think participating will broaden his horizons. Not only will it provide interaction with several intelligent and motivated students, but Dr. Sharpe and Mrs. Batson and both wonderful individuals who are truly invested in their students! Since your son was selected as a Finalist, he definitely has the qualifications. Don’t worry, he will be able to decide if he’s interested…we had major doubts with my DD who had zero interest in computers and wanted to be a Speech Language Pathologist. She finished the program and I truly think it helped her gain admission to top grad schools! If he doesn’t want to join, there are lots of other ways to be involved at UA.

List is posted under Dec 2014 CBHP CBH Live Heading

Thank you for the information! CCforlife- my question was just science in general. He did not take AP Chem /AP Bio in high school, but he did take honors. In other words, he just did not have the desire to pursue those classes and instead took 3 AP History classes, AP Lit and AP BC Calculus. He has only had one general Physics class and ZERO computer science classes. I guess it’s easy to start comparing strengths and weaknesses on these boards and feeling less qualified for a particular program. Thank you for the information and encouragement. He is very excited about the program and I certainly don’t want to squelch his desire, but I want to be realistic and honest about his academic interests.

The CBH programs assume that the student has zero experience with computer programming.

The program is NOT just for science majors. There have been business majors, dance majors, history majors, music majors, etc.

The name is rather misleading…it’s a research and presentation program.

jmkepcc: My older son was a member of CBHP during his time at Alabama. He is a math kid, but truthfully, he never saw himself going into the math/science fields. Instead, he majored in econ and political science and minored in math and CBHP. He is now in his first year of law school at UVA. One of his roommates from his freshman year has a communications degree, and he is in law school at Samford. Another friend was a fashion design major.

So CBHP is for any student, no matter what his/her interests are

Your student will get a much better understanding of the program if they attend the interview trip. Lots of current CBHP students participate and it is a great way to learn about and evaluate fit for the program. It is also a great opportunity to visit UA and meet with professors in his intended field as they set up appointments with professors for the candidates in their major. On the interview trip your student will meet outstanding students from all over the country. it is great experience even if your student decides not to join the program or attend UA!

Oh, and while all the CBHP candidates are smart and accomplished high school seniors, I would not say they are all nerdy. It is actually a pretty diverse group in terms of home state, majors, extra-curricular interests and eventual UA campus involvement!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses!