Computer Based Honors

Does anyone know the timeline for notification of CBH interviews? Thank you.

Usually the end of Jan.

Thank you. It looks like the website is not updated and still has 2014 listed. I assume if a student is invited to for an interview the dates would be around the end of February. Do you think it hurts my sons chances that he visited on a Friday when most of the faculty was gone? We met with two students from CBH. They did a great job of showing us around and explaining the program, but we have wondered if it will hurt his chances that professors did not meet him.

I just checked old emails for last year’s timeline. My son was notified that he was a finalist on February 7th, and the interview weekend was February 23rd & 24th. He received his acceptance into the program on March 14th. Good luck to your boy!

Thank you!

We are curious as well. My D wrote to faculty and asked about the date but has not heard back. Her spring semester is always super busy with track and quiz bowl activities so we do need to get that date penciled in. We are coming from OOS.

We are waiting as well, and would be coming from California. It makes me nervous booking travel arrangements on relatively short notice. I actually booked a hotel reservation just in case (that can be cancelled or changed), to cover the period that I expect would be the CBHP and UFE interviews. Based on the weekend they did it in prior years, I think CBHP would be 2/20-2/21 and UFE would be 2/22-2/23. My DD has a phone interview for UFE today…fingers crossed!

^^^if your student is selected to attend either the CBH or UFE interview weekend, their accomadations will be taken care of by the program. Students will be assigned hotel rooms to share. This weekend is designed for students not parents.

In fact, it’s almost a better idea for parents to not come with their students for CBH/UFE finalist weekend. The Honors College arranges for students to be picked up and dropped off at the airport and arranges the meals and hotel rooms. If you’ve ever flown for a job interview, it’s very similar. The students will be so busy they won;t have much time to see the family members that traveled with them.

It’s great practice to get ones student used to traveling alone as they’ll be doing that a lot over the next few years. Remember to have them take a major credit card (not a debit card) and cash in case of an emergency.

^^^ That’s correct, it is an opportunity for the student to bond with their future peers and mentors right from the start. I think parents can get in the way of this initial introduction, and take the focus off the student. Your student wil need to get used to being on their own at college in just a few short months anyway. The weekend is designed for the student to showcase himself/herself, so I think it is best to allow them to do just that.

@jmkepcc‌
Our son never met anyone in the honors dept prior to his CBH interview. You’re fine.

CBH puts students together in the Capstone Hotel for the weekend. No need to worry about accommodations.

I had heard that decisions for CBH would be made by this weekend. We have not heard anything. Any news from anyone else?

We heard it would be February 6. Not sure how accurate that date is though.

Just heard the CBH weekend will be February 22 and 23 - Sunday and Monday. This came directly from Susan Haynes in Honors. Good luck everyone!!!

It’ll be nice when I can stop compulsively checking my UA email every few hours! Good luck to everyone!

Check your bama email accounts! My son was placed in the reserve pool. :frowning:

Hmmm, I just tried to show my husband the email and its gone? Not sure where the email went?

Whoop whoop - My D got asked to the finalist weekend! @amazondotmom it looks like several students were accepted out of the reserve pool last year. Fingers crossed for your son.

Congrats to your daughter! Yes, fingers crossed that he can proceed further. We toured the campus last October and were very impressed with U of Alabama! My son is looking forward to attending next fall. I finally found the email, somehow I placed it in the important section of the email account.

amazondotmom: Have your son draft a note to Dr. Sharpe sometime soon and express his interest in being a member of CBHP. There will be some students who will go to finalist weekend who decide the program is not for them. Others will choose to attend a different school. And some finalists will not be selected for the program. So the opportunity is still there that he could land a spot in CBHP.

My older son spent his time at Alabama in CBHP, and he loved it. Made some lifelong friends from the experience. Spent three years working with an econ professor on a project, and that research experience probably helped him gain admission to UVA Law.