Computer Engineering in California

<p>Hey,
I’m pursing International Baccalaureate right now & i look forward to attend college in California. My SAT scores is around 1700. My academics scores aren’t so great but they are decent ie. 32/42 in IB although i have quite a extracurricular achievements.
Could anyone suggest me which UC and CSU are good for Computer Engineering, looking at my scores, like i know UCLA & UCB are great. but i doubt ill get in. </p>

<p>i had a few universities in mind -
UCSD
UCSB
UCD
CSUEB
CSUF (fresno)
SDSU
SJSU
CSULB</p>

<p>another thing-
Is it advised to get into a CSU and then take a transfer to UC in 2nd year?</p>

<p>Please help me shortlist to 4 -5 universities including safe ones… and tell me about any other better universities…
Thank you…</p>

<p>I assume you are in-state and you mean your weighted GPA is 3.2. If so, I’d say the UCs on your list are a long shot. If I mis-read your stats, feel free to correct me. </p>

<p>When it comes to the CSUs. Take a look at how the CSU system asseses applicants here:
[CSUMentor</a> - Plan for College - High School Students - Eligibility Index](<a href=“Cal State Apply | CSU”>GPA Calculator | CSU)</p>

<p>As you can see it’s quantitative. They asign you an index then stack applicants in order. Calculate your index and see where you stand. (a 3.2 GPA and 1130 M/R SAT generates an index of 3690)</p>

<p>Every high school is asigned a ‘Local’ CSU to which local students can gain admission with a lower standard.</p>

<p>SJSU has major specific thresholds. which you can see here:
[url=&lt;a href=“http://info.sjsu.edu/web-dbgen/narr/admission/rec-937.html]Info.sjsu.edu[/url”&gt;http://info.sjsu.edu/web-dbgen/narr/admission/rec-937.html]Info.sjsu.edu[/url</a>]</p>

<p>Most campuses have one or two hot majors that has a higher threshold. but, from my research, this is a pretty good estimation of what it takes to get in as a non-local aplicant.
SDSU 4000+
Long Beach 3800
Pomona 3700
Chico 3650
Fullerton 3800
Sonoma 3300
Humboldt 3300
Fresno 3300
Northridge: 3200
SF State: 3100
Sacramento 3000
Monterey Bay 2900</p>

<p>I think you have more shot at the SAT - take it. Another 100 points on your index could open a lot of doors. </p>

<p>As for transfering. Few transfer aplicants are considered by UCs without 60 units (typically Jr status). You can transfer from a CSU to a UC but it’s not easy or common. Unlike CCs, there’s not a clear transfer path or mapped set of course equivalents.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Cal Poly SLO should be on your list. They are very highly ranked for their Engineering program.</p>