Computer Recommendations?

<p>Can anyone recommend a computer for Computer Engineering? I understand that VT's computer requirements is tablets for Engineering but is this mandatory? What happens if someone walks in with a regular laptop?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>It is mandatory. There are certain in-class projects that you won't be able to do without the tablet. Having said that, I do understand that many don't feel the tablet is really all that necessary for engineering. My s says he hasn't seen anyone in Engineering who doesn't have one though. We spent the extra to not only get it through the university bookstore, but also to get the service plan there. They handle everything in case of a problem - we are OOS, and I wasn't about to deal with having to bring it home to get it serviced and shipping back and forth. Plus, the bookstore will give you a loaner if you need it.</p>

<p>Im not an engineer but my roommate is. He has some sort of Toshiba tablet and says its a piece of junk. But take that with a grain of salt.</p>

<p>My son has the Fujitsu tablet that was offered through the bookstore 2 years ago. He uses it all the time, but also saved up his money over the summer to build a desktop computer, so now he uses both.</p>

<p>This is just me, but I would suggest a MAC. You can run windows and MAC on the new Leaopard OS, and you can even run them dual, as well as drag and drop between. If you have not used a MAC before they are easy to use. I have had mine for going on three years, and I can not switch back. Windows is garbage, and I had never used a MAC until 3 years ago. I have never had any issue with ym MAC, and recently upgraded the HD, as well as the memory. Mine will last probably another 3 years with no problem. Quite frankly my MAC does not crash. I can not sing the priases of MAC enough, and the entire set up makes logical sense.</p>

<p>I'm with you, Keith. We recently switched to Mac here at home, and I will NEVER go back! The programs that the engineering dept uses are all pc-based programs, so you would definitely need the capability to run Windows on the side. But you would still need a tablet for Engineering - you would have to do your research to see what is available.</p>

<p>Zimmer that is awesome. So funny tooo, cause I never hear of anyone that switches wanting to go back! Good for you guys!! You have to love the transitions in keynote, loads to play with!!!</p>

<p>You can't use a Mac. You have to have a Tablet and to my knowledge they don't make one. You're stuck with an overpriced, crappy selection of computers with functions you'll never use except for when they make you (even though it'd be easier to do them on paper) and a piece of junk computer that doesn't work after two years.</p>

<p>I'm not bitter though.</p>

<p>If you're in engineering you are going to want to get the fujitsu tablet. It really is not that bad of a computer and its extremely fast. I have friends with the Toshiba and the HP and we all agree that my computer is the fastest, never breaks, and has the best layout. All the tablets still have problems. I have this problem with mine where the battery just suddenly goes dead and i take out and put it back in and it is suddenly at 95%. And as for MACS, you can't use them in engineering unless you're a computer genius. Kid I know has been trying to run Autodesk software on them and it is a huge pain.</p>

<p>Thanks guys for the info! Now, do you all advise on ordering through the Virginia Tech Bookstore? I find that to be the most ideal way to go about this since they know what the requirements are. </p>

<p>Right now, there are only 4 tablets. Do you think they will update near the summer with more tablets?</p>

<p>Man that really really sucks you can not use a MAC. Damn you would expect a school would actually provide you the chance to use a computer worth the cost. I feel bad for you guys!!!! </p>

<p>Chuy do you have a MAC for personal use?</p>

<p>I know if I am accepted for Bus. I am using my mac come hell or high water.</p>

<p>You can run windows on the new MAC I don't understand if you can run windows how you could not run the other program. You can even run windows while running MAC, nice feature, huh?</p>

<p>Oh check out the BETA version of safari, has an awesome new top sites component.</p>

<p>i had posted this before, but hp offers a tablet pc line for much cheaper @ HP</a> Official Store — Buy an HP Pavilion tx2 and tx2z series notebook PC from HP , you wouldn't get the local service but I wasn't planning on getting an extended warranty so this is a much better option</p>

<p>I'm going to just warn you now that the HP your looking at my friend has and he hates it. He has to take his charge cord everywhere because the battery doesn't even last but an hour and it is also heavy. Basically, you get what you pay for with the tablets and if you get one of the cheap ones you're not going to like it. If I were an incoming engineering freshman, I'd wait until orientation and talk to the computer representatives there because thats how I knew Fujitsu was bringing out this badass tablet computer that I am using right now.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Chuy do you have a MAC for personal use?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Absolutely not. I got a computer worth it's cost and bought a desktop PC.</p>

<p>Anyway, yes, buy from the bookstore. WHEN it breaks they can fix it much quicker/easier than you having to ship it away somewhere.</p>

<p>Ha!!!! Nice!! Have you ever used a MAC?</p>

<p>Yeah, I've used a macbook a bit. They're ok but I've never seen any reason to switch. You have to tool around with booting from another partition/running extra software to do much of anything and they're more expensive for the same amount of power (unless that's changed really, really recently which I'm fairly certain it hasn't.)</p>

<p>well there are a lot of reasons to switch in my mind. I actually bought one because at the time I was working as tech support for the Verizon FIOS product, and I had never used one, and when I would get a call for one I would have no clue. So once I switched I just couldn't go back. No crashing in close to three years, and Imovie (allows direct upload to youtube), (plus all come with built in camera and mic) is such a nice feature as is the transitions in Keynote. Safari 4 BETA has to be the absolute best Browser, it isn't even close. There are some limitations due to the fact that we live in a WIndows world, agree there. That is changing though. I think windows could be replaced over the next decade. Plus some cost are offset by not needing any virus protection. I like the editing software by windows better, but keynote is much nicer than PP. I have not messed with numbers their excel eq., but it looks to have more features too. I can't comment though as I have not played with it yet. Never mind I can simply move my mouse up to the left corner to display all apps I am currently working on to switch between them (or press F9), and than move my mouse to the lower left hand corner to display my desktop, quick and easy, a feature I have grown to love about Leop. </p>

<p>The cost I disagree with you on. I think the cost is relative for the same amount of power, at least where the laps are concerned. I think windows can sell some real garbage, that really should not be sold. Where I think the MAC product tends to be in line with what you need, and will need going forward. Your not going to be able to buy a new MAC with 512 Memory. Why, cause you can't use it. </p>

<p>To each his own though. Nothing wrong with using what you have if you enjoy it and have never had any issues!!!</p>