Computer Science - Admission Chance?

I’m currently a junior hoping to apply to TAMU as a Computer Science Major and I’m worried about my admission chances. At the beginning of the year, I was at a 3.1 GPA but I’ve had good grades this year and I think I’ll be somewhere around 3.3. That would put me around the 25% in my class, maybe higher or lower by a little. My PSAT score was 1210(1520). I took a practice SAT and got an 1820(1260 CR+M).

• AP Scholar, probably Scholar with Distinction by the end of the year
  • Band Officer
  • Varsity Tennis All-District Member
  • Academic Decathlon Top 10 Individual (State)
  • 60 volunteer hours( :/ )

From what I’ve heard, the new 25x25 engineering admission might make it harder to get in for some people. What are my chances?

“We have another form of automatic admission called an academic admit. To qualify you must first be in the top 25% of your graduating class. Next, we look at your test scores. On the SAT, you must have a combined math and critical
reading score of at least 1300 with at least 600 in each section. Or, if you take the ACT, you must have a composite score of 30 with at least 27 in each of the math and English sections.”

I applied early October with a 1150 M+CR (top 10% of my class) with no ECs and sub-par essays and got accepted to CE. So if you get your SAT to a 1300 and graduate top 25% of your class, you’ll be fine as long as you apply early.

I think OP is referring to this
https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/recruitment/fall-2017-admissions

For the new holistic admission process for all engineering applicants having a high class rank won’t be enough to get admitted any more. They look at (in theory) everything, your EC, class rigor, test scores.

If you can take 5+ AP/DC/IB classes senior year since it will be viewed as a rigorous course load. your extracurricular are fine (Yay Ac Dec! I’m in it too, and I LOVED state!) just your test scores.

if you get a 30+ on the ACT it will get you admissions to A&M (Provided you stay in the top 25% ) . So Since the SAT is new this year the scores for the first round of scores will likely be lower. So your best chance of admission to engineering is to score well enough on the ACT to get into A&M, then score well on the new SAT (like 1400+) to improve your chances of getting into Dwight (since a lot of people won’t have good scores on the new SAT, the state average was about 950 .)

Yes, it will be more competitive. Up your scores and GPA. If you’re an automatic admit, it does not guarantee admission into engineering. And if accepted into engineering, you will be in general engineering not whatever your preferred choice is.