Computer Science at Madison?

<p>My son was accepted OOS at Wisconsin in November, his #1 choice, and it is the only school that has not given him merit aid, which is not completely surprising. I'm guessing if he hasn't received a merit offer by now then he isn't going to receive one. :) This is by far the most expensive school on his list right now, but it is also his favorite.</p>

<p>I would love to hear from computer science undergraduates about their experiences at Wisconsin. What made Wisconsin a special experience? What were some of the disappointments. We are trying to plan a visit over spring break.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Son was an Honors Math major and added Comp Sci- currently working as a software developer instead of math grad school. He prefers abstract to applied math but did the practical thing for now. Excellent place to do comp sci. Nice building as well. Your son should look at the overall school/campus when making his decision. There is so much more than just one major. He could change his mind. He may want to take advantage of the top notch UW math department courses along with his comp sci ones. He may enjoy many activities. Son was a runner. Just saw where UW has spring break the last week of March- the campus will be fairly empty and much closed that week. Son took many electives outside of the math and physics he originally was considering- Philosophy (including a semester on Nietzsche) and Linguistics, some German and History of Science. So many diverse courses available at UW besides just those in one’s major to explore.</p>

<p>Eons ago I was a Chemistry major there. Like many alumni I am very biased towards UW. Just saw new dorm is going up and other changes. The campus continues to update itself but keep the best of the old. Gotta go read my ON WISCONSIN instead of wasting time on CC…</p>