Computer Science Major - AS and CoE?

<p>Hey all, I’ve been accepted to UA for Fall 2011 and recently made an application major change to Computer Science, BS</p>

<p>However, instead of being placed in the College of Engineering, myBama has me in the College of Arts & Sciences–I’m a little worried because I want to make sure I’m enrolled in the CoE to get their extra $2500/yr scholarship.</p>

<p>Looking at the major change list again, there are two CS degrees: ‘Computer Science, BS’ and ‘Computer Science, BCS’</p>

<p>Would the Computer Science, BCS degree place me in the CoE? </p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Both of UA’s Computer Engineering degrees are accredited and listed as being in the College of Engineering [Accreditation</a> - The University of Alabama](<a href=“UA SACSCOC Accreditation”>UA SACSCOC Accreditation). My guess is that while your major changed, the system forgot to change the college you’re assigned to. A call/e-mail to admissions should be all you need to get myBama to show that you are now in the College of Engineering.</p>

<p>Hmmmmm…</p>

<p>Did you apply at one time under a different major?</p>

<p>there is only one computer science major… 5204 computer science (EG)</p>

<p>There is a computer engineering major which comes under Elec Eng (which is common for many colleges)… 5205 electrical engineering (EG)</p>

<p>Go to MyBama…Academics tab…left column…scroll down til you find the link where a student can change their major.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids: Yes, I applied and was admitted as an Accounting major then switched to Computer Science a few weeks ago. I thought there was only one CS major, too until I saw the two CS choices in the Request Major Change list.</p>

<p>p.s. thanks for all your help and information about UA! </p>

<p>SEA_tide: I’ll talk to admissions about it, by the way do you know the difference between the two degrees?</p>

<p>thanks for the help!</p>

<p>Can you copy/paste what you’re seeing in the request major change list that has 2 CS majors (one in Eng’g and one in A&S)???</p>

<p>I really don’t think there really are 2 CS majors in 2 different colleges.</p>

<p>Only the one CS within Engineering is going to have that extra scholarship. </p>

<p>Are you sure that you’re not seeing Computer Engineering (which is also in Eng’g)???</p>

<p>Sure.</p>

<p>‘…Composition, BM / Computer Science, BCS / Computer Science, BS / Construction Engineering, BCC / Consumer Sciences, BHS…’</p>

<p>Image: <a href=“http://imgur.com/95Ibt.png[/url]”>http://imgur.com/95Ibt.png&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I think that is just an error. Bama doesn’t offer two different Comp Sci bachelor degrees. I looked thru the Undergrad catalog and only this exists for Computer Science for a bachelors degree. [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>But…to be sure…send an email to…</p>

<p>David Cordes, PhD
<a href=“mailto:cordes@cs.ua.edu”>cordes@cs.ua.edu</a>
Professor and Department Head, Department of Computer Science</p>

<p>Include the link to the screen shot so he can see the 2 choices. </p>

<p>Dr. Cordes is pretty good about responding rather quickly.</p>