Computer Science Major - Engineering Honors, need class scheduling advice please!

Howdy y’all, I will be attending TAMU at College Station this Fall. My NSC is next week and I’ve heard from friends that course registration tends to be a little stressful. For any CS/Engineering majors out there - are there any classes I should take? How should I form my schedule? I found this planner: https://engineering.tamu.edu/media/3661984/cpsc201531-138-full.pdf but I don’t know what each class encompasses. I’m actually extremely clueless about college courses so I’m nervous that I might choose the wrong class.

One more thing: as an engineering honors student, how are the classes different? Should I take all honors classes into consideration? How should I form my schedule keeping in mind that I have the honors option?

Things that may contribute to my schedule-building:
AP LANG (3)
AP SPANISH LANG (3)
AP PSYCH, AP LIT, AP CALC AB, and AP GOV scores have not been released yet. What should I do with these credits?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks and gig 'em!

I’m also an incoming freshman who’s majoring in an engineering field. I recommend logging into your Howdy Portal, clicking on the My Record tab, and scrolling to see if you have an Engineering channel there. If it’s not there already, it will be within 2 or 3 days, and somewhere in that channel there should be a recommended schedule for you based on your Math Placement Exam score.

For engineering honors, we have to take ENGR 181 either in fall 2016 or spring 2017. It’s just a one hour seminar with no letter grade involved. Also, you should be sure and sign up for one of the nine Honors ENGR 111 sections. Honors Math and/ or honors Physics are just optional from what I’ve gathered, even for engineering honors students.

I’ll attempt to help out with University Core Curriculum (UCC) classes…AP LANG credit will get you out of having to sign up for ENGL 104, so you can check off that requirement.
If you get at least a 3 on Psychology, you can use that score to get credit for the one Social and Behavioral Sciences credit that’s required, and if you get a 3 on US Gov, that score can be used to get credit for POLS 206-one of the two political science courses required. A 4 on Spanish will get you all the credit you need for Language, Philosophy, and Culture.

This link is something you might find helpful, but I still say check My Record in Howdy for the Engineering channel.
http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/engineering/computer-science/bs/#programrequirementstext

I promise the advisors at NSC won’t let you sign up for anything you shouldn’t be taking :slight_smile: The only thing people find stressful is that classes fill up really fast, and people often end up with class times/professors they wanted to avoid. The good thing is that in August there is an add/drop week where you can rearrange your schedule as spots in sections you want start opening up.

ENGR 181 is Pass/Fail and usually meets in the evenings. Most sessions are about 1.5 hours long, although there are some functions to attend which can be longer. Also keep in mind that your Engineering Honors status allows you to register for certain honors-restricted classes like ENDS 101 (open to honors only, and in high demand).

@futureaggie1 @lee6666 Thank you! :slight_smile: