Computer Science [small to mid sized] schools in Northeast? [3.9, 1390]

My older son goes to WPI. Younger son is not a big fan of project based learning, but will apply since it’s free.

1 Like

Free to apply you mean?

What are your thoughts on the school? Would love to hear them if you don’t mind sharing.

Richmond or Wake? Figured since Virginia was on the list.

I’m sure you realize that you’ll be taking out the loans, not him?

Lots of schools are free apps.

Google niche + no application fee.

You might find some with no extra essays, so easy apps.

Why apply somewhere if you know up front there’s no interest ? If you’re going to waste an app, find a school that may be possible. Like Dayton, Colby, Clark, St Bonaventure or Connecticut. Not that they are complete (maybe Dayton moreso) but - if you know something isn’t a good fit…

If you do have budget concerns, use all 20.

Yes, free to apply and my older son is on a 4 year ROTC scholarship, so free ride.

He is doing AWESOME at WPI. It is a unique school with a lot of quirks. I wish it was more “social” but the make up of students seems to be introverted. The kids have to work a little harder to find their people.

The term system is intense. 3 courses for 7 weeks x 4 terms. Very fast paced. Add in projects and grasping the scheduling process can be a lot, but it can be done. Overall, I wish the school did more to help the students (housing, roommates, transportation, etc.) but if the student adjusts, it can work.

Happy to answer specific questions, if you have them. Again, the absolute right choice for son #1, but not sure about son #2 (although with his brother there, he would do fine).

2 Likes

His brother is at WPI, so worth the application. They are best friends, so that may be enough for him. His choice, not mine.

Again, the strategy seems to be UVA early decision. If “NO”, he will have the other early actions submitted and will then decide on submitting W&M ED2. If another “NO” he makes the best choice available based on options available.

This is why I am trying to have as many schools brought to his attention, so he can make the best choice for him.

2 Likes

Just curious - and really from VA folks and lots of people in lots of states are like this about the non-main schools - but why does CNU get no love? I mean, size wise it’s not horribly far from W&M - and it’s extras (dorm, food, campus) are all top rated.

Va Tech too big for your son?

Any interest in JMU or GMU?

1 Like

I will suggest he research them. I don’t know much about them. Thanks.

Yes, I know about loans, but this is all part of it. I may “loan” him the money, we just have to get the plan of action first and make the best decisions from there.

All have been discussed at length, we visited Va Tech, we went through their CS info session and spent the day with a friend who goes there. Impressive campus, but just too big for him

He has been contacted by CNU hockey coach and got excited, but has decided against it. I asked him if he wants to visit in the fall and meet the coach, but so far it’s a “no.” We toured GMU, 10 miles from our house. Just didn’t like the vibe, felt like a commuter school. I am not sure why he doesn’t like JMU, but I think in his mind it would be a consolation prize if UVA or W&M don’t work out.

1 Like

I will try and get him there in the fall when we revisit W&M, who knows, maybe it will feel right to him?

1 Like

Oh he’s hockey - cool.

Our neighbor sent their kid to boarding school in CT.

Then BC.

Was a hockey player. Didn’t fit at BC. Transferred to Clemson and played club.

Ended up loving it.

It’s not the NE but if he wants to continue hockey, maybe there’s a path somewhere…

NCAA hockey is a tough one. Usually requires prep school or juniors for a couple years.

My boys are more focused on academics and club is fine. If there happened to be a NCAA team at tbe school (like PC) and he got scouted as an upperclassman, i am sure he wouldnt say no. But that is just a dream, we are more focused on reality.

My older son plays for WPI, part of the reason it was the right choice, and also why the younger would consider it. To play with his big brother.

2 Likes

What about years 3 and 4? And even if you will “loan” him the money, putting himself $80-170k in debt to finish college would be inadvisable for anyone. How much per year will his 529 cover if it is needed for 4 years?

I don’t have a great sense about what you mean by mainstream, as I would have likely lumped Lehigh into a more mainstream type of campus. Thus, I basically excluded schools that are primarily tech schools, but left others in.

These are some schools that your family might want to consider:

• Allegheny (PA ): About 1600 undergrads
  • Binghamton (NY): About 14k undergrads
  • Brandeis (MA): About 3600 undergrads
  • Bucknell (PA ): About 3700 undergrads
  • Clark (MA): About 2300 undergrads…perhaps being in the same town, but not the same university, as his brother would appeal?
  • College of New Jersey: About 7k undergrads
  • Connecticut College: About 1800 undergrads
  • Fairfield (CT): About 4600 undergrads
  • Gettysburg (PA ): About 2400 undergrads
  • Lafayette (PA ): About 2700 undergrads
  • Loyola Maryland: About 3800 undergrads
  • Marist (NY): About 5500 undergrads
  • Siena (NY): About 3500 undergrads
  • SUNY New Paltz: About 6300 undergrads
  • Syracuse (NY): About 15k undergrads
  • Union (NY): About 2100 undergrads
  • U. of Rochester (NY): About 6600 undergrads
  • Wesleyan (CT): About 3400 undergrads…if you’re really thinking about full pay
  • West Chester (PA ): About 14k undergrads

If a tech school ends up being “mainstream” enough, these are some others he may want to consider:

• New Jersey Institute of Technology: About 9200 undergrads
  • Rochester Institute of Technology (NY): About 14k undergrads
  • Stevens Institute of Technology (NJ): About 4100 undergrads
1 Like

I appreciate the concern, but this isn’t the focus right now. We can handle the finances of whatever the final decision is.

Thank you.

1 Like

Lots of kids in Maryland also like Univ. Delaware for mainstream vibe.

For hockey ( Frozen Four 2023 National Champions)
and smaller classes, check Quinnipiac. Had American Society of Engineering Education intern of the year.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.