ComputerScience/ComputerEngineering...big difference?

<p>Im more interested in Computer science but i learned with other schools such as Purdue that the CompSci program is low-tier while the CompEngineering program is ranked like 10th in the nation - is this the case for Wisconsin?</p>

<p>CS at UW is ranked Top 10. CE is around Top 20 or so as it is usually part of EE.</p>

<p>First you should know what the two actually are.</p>

<p>Computer engineering, in a nutshell, is a mix between electrical engineering and "computer science". There will probably be a focus on the connection between the "magic black box" and the software that runs off of it. At UW-Madison, there are actually only a few extra classes you need to double major in Computer and electrical engineering, so that should give you an idea of where it is leaning.</p>

<p>Computer science on the other hand is more than just programming. There is a lot of theory and mass and things I don't know about, as well as a lot of programming to make use of all this theory and math in an interesting way. If you like math, you'll probably really like computer science. I hear a math major goes well with computer science.</p>

<p>Of course, you'll have a fair share of math in Computer engineering also ^^</p>

<p>As for my plans, I would like to double major in computer and electrical engeerning as I find the lowlevel connections between the hardware and software much more interesting and a ton of theory and mathematics....just a tad more math than I care for (of course, I don't dislike math...or else I woulden't want to do computer engineering :-P)</p>

<p>DISCLAIMER: I have not even started college yet (I will this Fall at UW-madison), so feel free to do your own research or e-mail some professors and talk with them.</p>

<p>READ ME IF ANYTHING: Don't worry about the rankings. the difference between the programs in the top 20 versus the top 10 are negligible. Do what interests you most, but make sure you understand what actually interests you most also...as, a lot of people seem to not even know what CE and CS are (one of the first things brought up at a special University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus tour/information thingy actually was that very statement). Either way, you probally don't have to make a decision until next year, considering the first classes you take will probably be the same for both paths.</p>

<p>thanks for the info, what other schools would you suggest i look at?</p>

<p>I personally applied to Michigan Tech, University of Minnesota (Institute of Technology), and the University of Wisconsin - Madison. I was accepted to all three and didn't make my decision until the very last moment posible.</p>

<p>I eliminated Michigan Tech fairly quickly though because I just diden't want to be stuck in a small town. HOWEVER, I have heard MANY good things about Michigan Tech.</p>

<p>As for why I choose Madison over Minnesota...it may have just been because of all the hype. I like both schools. When it comes down to these schools who have rankings in the top 20, it really doesn't matter which one you choose academic wise. You are going to get the same education either way. So, go ahead and visit some schools that interest you and pick which one you like best (though, I actually only visited Madison and Minnesota).</p>

<hr>

<p>I have heard that UW-Plativille (I think that is the one) supposedly has a good engineering program, but I didn't look into it much. If you can get into Madison, I'd stick with that.</p>

<p>If you have the credentials, you probably can't go wrong with MIT or Mudd (or whatever it is called...I don't remember). I actually sent my ACT scores to MIT, but never ended up applying...I guess...I just gave up, though I may have had a chance with some of the things I have done in my spare time, but oh well (I'm saving a ton of money at Madison versus going to MIT).</p>

<p>If you are considering Michigan Tech, if you are a good student and out of state, you have a good chance of getting a scholarship from them that will make their tuition not too much more than an in-state school (I think they offered me 10k a year or something). On the other hand, Madison gave me a $500 scholarship with the description, "The scholarship for those who did not receive any other significant financial aid" >_></p>

<p>Hope that helps. In a nutshell, when it comes to these schools, I'd base your decision more on where you want to live than rankings, as they are all good schools.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info cbeley, helpful :D</p>

<p>CE is a moving major. You can find more info here:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.computer.org/portal/cms_docs_ieeecs/ieeecs/education/cc2001/CCCE-FinalReport-2004Dec12-Final.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.computer.org/portal/cms_docs_ieeecs/ieeecs/education/cc2001/CCCE-FinalReport-2004Dec12-Final.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>