Concern about losing Pell Grant due to a state move

I currently live in FL and I am relocating to NC. My son will be staying in FL and living with family in order to finish college there. He has been receiving a Pell Grant due to my income.

Is he at risk of losing his pell grant if I move?
Would the school consider his residency FL or NC? I would hate for the school to charge more if considered an out of state student.

What college? How much longer is he in college….1 year…3 years??

@twoinanddone do you know the residency requirements in FL.

The Pell Grant is based on your FAFSA EFC primarily…not your state of residence.

What you need to find out…if YOU move out of state, does your student still maintain instate status for tuition purposes.

financial aid for 2023-24 is based on your taxes from year 2021.
financial aid for 2023-25 year is based on taxes you paid in 2022.
financial aid for 2025-26 is based on what you earn this year in 2023.

check with the school about maintaining residency/instate if a parent moves out of state.

1 Like

I did move when my daughter was in college in Florida. She retained all her state and federal grants (Pell, Florida resident, BF, Fla SEOG). She remained a Florida resident (driver’s license) so the school didn’t change anything. We reported my change of address, I filed taxes in my new state, she continued to file (federal) with her Florida address.

The only type of aid I wasn’t concerned about losing was a Pell grant as that’s federal. Most of the Florida aid had to be verified when she was a freshman but never again.

My nephew went to U of Florida and his mother moved when he was a freshman too. He never lost his instate status.

Assuming a state university in Florida, you need to check with the state and university to see if the student who started with in-state residency retains it as long as the student is enrolled, or could lose it if the parents leave the state.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine has 1009.21(8) which says:

This suggests that the student would lose Florida residency for tuition purposes beginning the term after 12 months after you become a non-Florida resident. You may want to investigate further on this matter before making any decisions.