Concerned about IB!

<p>Help! My school offers AP but I wanna know if it's looked upon negatively by taking IB. I was in MYP since 6th grade and I'm in my last year now. We start DP next year. Oh and what are the equivalents for IB HL or SL courses and AP exams?</p>

<p>IB has the same rigor as AP as far as colleges in America are concerned so no you won’t be looked down upon. Some of the classes correlate but the general rule of thumb is that if you take an HL class you can take the AP exam equivalent like AP biology.</p>

<p>But what about the math courses? Extended math and math studies aren’t really as well known as calculus or trig? Do those have equivalents?</p>

<p>If you’re talking about the IB math classes, look at this thread:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/international-baccalaureate-ib/1513977-what-do-you-learn-ib-math-sl-hl.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/international-baccalaureate-ib/1513977-what-do-you-learn-ib-math-sl-hl.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Yeah usually Math studies = pre calc
IB math sl covers pre calc and calc AB if its a 2 year sequence and IB math HL covers Calc BC and beyond if its a 2 year sequence. Only math studies looks kinda bad. What does your school offer?</p>

<p>Well this is my math schedule
9- Geometry
10- Algebra 2
11- Extended Math (since it’s one year I assume it’s SL)
12- Math Studies (I think SL as well)</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure my HL classes will be Bio, Chem, history of the Americas, Spanish 6 and whatever else. But mainly I’m concerned about the math classes. </p>

<p>FYI I’m in 10th right now and it’s the last yr of MYP, so like we’re doing the Personal Project.</p>

<p>At my school we had our math courses broken down into pre-calc/calc, and we actually used an AP calc book for IB calc. If you took through pre-calc, you took the IB Math Studies exam. If you went through calc, you took IB Math SL. I did SL, and I also took the AP test and got an easy 5 on it.</p>

<p>There are also some courses where you can take SL and also take the AP test. It depends on the curriculum. I know of people at my school who did that for physics, and I did it for chem and got a 5 on AP.</p>

<p>@Slytherclaw, if you’re in algebra 2 right now, you’ll probably be in Math SL for two years. It’s pretty basic, for most places it covers pre calc and Calculus AB. I’ve never heard of extended math though. I’m pretty sure there’s only 4 math courses from least difficult to most: math studies, math SL, math HL, and further maths</p>