Conditional Offer Admissions at Virginia Tech

Hi,
I was recently offered a conditional admission at VT. I’m not sure if that means that I got accepted or not. They said that a conditional offer of admission means that your offer is contingent upon attendance at our Summer Academy. So does this mean that I HAVE to go to the summer academy to be accepted to VT? Because they are already making me pay the deposit fee by May 1st (as in choosing to be a student at their college).

Thanks,
lmt9725

I would guess so. A conditional offer of admission usually means there are conditions to full acceptance, in this case, attendance at the Summer Academy. I suggest calling the Admissions office tomorrow to confirm that this is the case.

Some universities have these kind of program including UMich. Basically you need to go to the summer program to make up the shortcoming in your academic profile. Sometimes, it may be because something your high school did not offer or certain subject(s) you have weakness in it.

If you want to attend VT in the Fall, you’ll need to do summer academy.

This happened to my D at another OOS university. She took the summer session, it was her #1 school, and left a few days after HS graduation. She met a lot of kids and get a feel for the campus and was well prepared come the start of Fall at a large university.