Conditional offers in the US

So I’ve been hearing a lot of conflicting thoughts regarding college acceptances for IB students. I was accepted into McGill (I’m Canadian) but that offer is contingent on me eventually receiving the score I am predicted at (45/45). If not, there’s a good chance of withdrawal. I was just wondering if it was the same case in the US? Would schools really rescind offers based on a few points difference?

No it is not. If admitted, letters say you are expected to maintain the same level of points to the end, but my college counselor told me that they will permit a drop by quite a few points. You simply need to get the diploma. Last year, someone got into McGill (he went there and was predicted 40/45) even though his final score was 33 (a lot lower tbh). So I think they’ll still take you regardless.

Ah ok thanks for letting me know! Wow well that takes a lot of the pressure off, I definitely don’t feel confident in pulling a 45 on the final

yup :slight_smile: haha whoa man 45 would be amazing! I’m sure you can do it though :slight_smile:

In the US, you need to maintain okay averages - so that you must have no Ds or Fs (ie., nothing below a 3!) - and no sudden drop in results from A to C for the tippy top schools - for instance if you are expected 38+ and get 24, that’d be a problem. In addition, your behavior must remain good: you cannot cheat, or be arrested or expelled :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Barring that, you’re okay, so that if you’re predicted a 45 and get a 36, you’re fine!

Haha well I’ll try not to get arrested then! Last year, a guy from my school who was accepted into Cambridge got his offer rescinded when he didn’t get straight 7s in his HLs (he ended up with a 6 in SL). So that’s what mainly had me worried.

The US isnt as stringent because seniors are “expected” to have “senioritis”, ie., they get 3 months to go visit their colleges, to goof off, go on the senior trip, prepare for prom, play the senior prank, dress up for “spirit week”, etc, etc. In some schools, students who have a B or more aren’t even required to take the final exam (which also ensures seniors have a big incentive to keep doing something instead of stopping it all once acceptances are in).