Conflicted in Choosing Between Andover and Choate

Hello! I am an 8th grader, and I applied for boarding schools last year. I am the first in my family to do so.

In the end, I got accepted to Phillips Andover, Choate, Lawrenceville, Saint Andrews, and Mercesberg. I am having a really hard time choosing between Andover and Choate. :<

I have to make a decision between April 10.

If I could get advice from parents, alumnis, and current students, that would be so happy for me.

These are my pros and cons for both schools

Andover-

Pros- obviously top school, I really liked the vibe there and everyone was very unique. I can also go to the NEC on the weekends.
Cons- I felt there was not that much school spirit, but that may have just been because of revisit day.

Choate-

Pros- the ipads, the campus was really pretty, and everyone there was so welcoming. although I feel like it’ll be a bit hard to fit in since many people are rich and look so fancy. My personalilty would fit a lot more in andover since they are independent and their clothing is very casual, which makes me comfortable. But I loved the way Choate works. I feel like personality and clothings mainly the only thing that holds me back.
cons- not that many orchestras outside of school, but Julliard prep would be great.

I play cello and love doing arts (not really math and science). I really want to be at a school where I can learn and be with smarter people, but also have a fun time. I’m nervous that if I choose andover, I will have no time to hang out with other people since it’s so academic and i’m nervous that if I choose choate, I won’t be able to fit in due to the wealth gap and personality.

this is such a hard decision!! please help and give insight!!!

Also, does andover give ipads too? or just computers?

also, i am taking advanced math and will most likely switch from spanish to latin in 9th grade! does choate or andover have better experience with this?

Would you be a day student at either place? Much easier to go to NEC from Andover or Juilliard from Choate if a parent is driving you.

Or, if you went to Andover, would you study cello with the teacher there, or would you study with somebody at NEC? Same question for Choate. I ask because if you are a very advanced cellist, the teacher matters a lot. My own child also was accepted to both of these schools but chose another, partially because of this issue!

Both schools are equally academic, equally wealthy, and equally populated by smart students and faculty. Let those concerns go and choose based on other criteria important to you.

2 Likes

Congrats!! Both schools would be lucky to have you. Do they both have the resources that you would want or need to reach your own personal goals? Which school do you think will help you to develop in the next 4 years?
As for the iPads vs computer issue, Andover doesn’t give students a device to use, so you would have to buy and bring your own.
It’s a tough choice, but I think that whichever you choose will be the right choice.

It sounds like you were more comfortable at Andover. That’s a good reason to choose it.

It sounds like you didn’t feel as comfortable at Choate. I suspect you would find your people there too, but that’san importantthingto stay tuned into.

My guess is that you would work quite hard at both. I would definitely figure out, though, which will be most convenient for your cello practice, lessons, etc as this sounds important to you.

Both are equally excellent schools so you can’t make a bad decision.

Two great schools, congrats on all your admits.

I can only speak to Andover from our family experience! My (step) daughter is a lower and absolutely loves it. She is involved in sports, the performing arts (part of a dance troupe called Hypno) and has a diverse group of friends from across the world and varied socio-economic backgrounds.

The lack of school spirit that you mention, we have experienced and observed the absolute opposite at PA. Having gone to many athletic games, family weekends, and dance performances (Grasshoper “G-hop in the fall and Dance Open in the winter) the students absolutely BRING it with enthusiasm, support and spirit…this is to say nothing of the pep rally before A-E weekends, Blue Key Heads hyping everyone up at move-in and all year long at school events. Go Big Blue!

They are building a new music building called Falls Hall that would open while you are a student- fall 2024 according to the timeline, so lots of opportunity there for you as well.

At the end of the day, you need to evaluate based on all the variables/instincts you have- not one person can tell you one is better than the other. No school or experience is perfect, but what you can do is try to make the decision that YOU feel is best for YOU and keeping in mind regardless of what school you end up choosing, you get out of it what you put into it!

3 Likes

Andover does supply computers to those in need. There is no application process for that. A computer is provided to you if you are on significant financial assistance.

1 Like

If you love the Arts…then Choate is probably the best choice. The school attracts extremely creative and talented students with sincere passion for music, theater, film, dance, etc. My guess is you will thrive there.

Choate might not have state-of-the-art athletic facilities like Andover but Choate’s Paul Mellon Arts Center and adjacent Colony Hall are superb…perhaps the best among New England prep schools.

1 Like

Curious, where did you commit?

Just an aside, since we’re well past A10, some schools will provide their boarding students transportation.

At least, music department at my kid’s school has been known to provide transportation to NEC. So, it’s worth asking the music dept. whether this is an option.