Conflicted on choosing dorms: how far are Scheller classes for first-years, and does it matter which side of campus?

This is really last-minute but I’m an incoming first-year Scheller student at GT and my room assign timeslot is tomorrow. I’m conflicted on whether to choose a west or east dorm. All the east dorms (that are left at least—glenn and towers are gone) look extremely bad, while there are still nice west ones available (and I like the quietness of west campus). However, since I’m doing business admin, I’m not sure if living on west (which is 30 min away from Scheller) is wise. However, I also heard it doesn’t matter too mcuh first year, since everyone generally takes the same classes and prerequisites, and they’re equidistant on campus. I also heard that you probably won’t be returning to your dorm too much in between classes, so distance isn’t too big a factor. If anyone has any experience (esp as a Scheller on-campus student), please let me know what you think! Overall, I like west’s environment and dorms yet it’s so far from Scheller and I don’t know how much that matters in first year. Thanks!

My son lived on West for his 1st year and fall semester 2nd year(he was at GTE spring). He was in Armstrong/Heffner 1st year, and 8th Street Apts 2nd year. I know he had at least one class in the business school. He chose to stay on West for 2nd year, instead of moving to NAV on East, so I would say he must have liked it just fine!

He’s actually staying on West this upcoming year. It is quieter. There is the Burger bowl field which is really nice to hang out in, and play casual sports. It’s closer to the CRC and the SCC. I have to say, though, that last year the food at West Village was significantly worse than the food at the other cafeterias. Hopefully they will fix that this year.
There’s shuttles that go around the campus regularly, and if you’re late for class, there are electric scooters you can rent and drop off in Tech Square. I wouldn’t recommend a bike - my son brought his the first year, but he said that because of all the hills, he would be a sweaty disgusting mess by the time he got to class.

Hope that helps! LMK if you have any questions!

1 Like

My son has stayed on west campus or just off campus all 4 years. He started Scheller but transferred to ISYE. No issues going to east campus.

Except for the newer dorm all the dorms are mediocre. A few are probably below mediocre. I won’t bring up the food options.

It’s only one year. A lot move off campus second year.