Confused about admissions

Hi! I’m a senior from Illinois and was looking into Texas A&M. I’m a little confused about how the admissions process works. My stats are 3.935 weighted GPA and 29 ACT (30 superscore, may re-take to try for 30 composite), and my HS does not rank. Im not sure if I have this right, but from what I’ve read if I get to a 30 I will be auto-admitted, but if not I have a slim chance of getting in? I think Im applying for a communications major and plan to specialize in PR, but not 100% certain yet. I was wondering if anyone could let me know if I am correct about this auto admit situation, and if I have a chance without a 30 composite. Im also confused because my HS doesnt rank and that seems to be part of the auto-admission process.
Thank you!

@chigirl22 Congrats on your wonderful GPA! Texas A&M unfortunately looks at class rank rather than GPA. They will assign ranks to students from non-ranking schools based on their algorithm, so you will get a rank. Your choice of major doesn’t play a part in admissions unless it is Engineering. Additionally, A&M does not superscore the ACT or SAT. To be an academic- admit, you need to be in the top 25% of your HS graduating class and have an ACT composite score of 30 or SAT score of 1360 or higher. Good luck!

@trish02 Thank you so much for your response! Top 25% sounds about right for me, but Im not entirely sure. If I am not an academic admit, are the chances of admission quite low, then?

@chigirl22 I wouldn’t say your chances are low. If you fall outside of the top 25%, you will go under holistic review. A&M will then look at your classes (such as APs, DC, and/or IB), ECs, essays and rank. I would take the ACT again and try to get a composite score of 30 or higher, it will help, and get your complete application in as soon as possible. Check out last years holistic review posts; it should give you an idea of what you might be looking at.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2026782-texas-a-m-holistic-review-candidates-for-2022.html

@chigirl22 For qualifying as an Academic Admit and top quarter of graduating class, in addition to the 30 ACT and 1360 SAT, your sub scores must be 27 in Math and Reading on the ACT and 620 Math and 660 ERBW on the SAT.

Auto-admit only applies to Texas residents. 90% of admissions are reserved for residents. If you’re out of state, it’s a lot more competitive. I would say, your chances are better at being turned down than accepted. :slight_smile:

@coolguy40 90% of admissions is for UT admissions, not A&M. A&M has the academic admit pathway that is for in state, out of state and international applicants. When is the last time you have read a DARS report?