Confused about ELC

When I checked my application status I was stunned to see that I’m “not in the top 9 percent” of students at my high school because my ranking is #5 of 287 students. ELC is based off sophomore and junior year grades and your high school’s historic GPA. I talked to my counselor about this and she was also stunned to see that I was not in the top 9 percent according to UC calculations because she double-checked and said I definitely should be. The only potential reason we found for this mistake was the fact that I retook Algebra 2 junior year because I got a C and a D when I took it sophomore year. I ended up getting an A for both semesters when I retook the class junior year. My school zeroed out those sophomore grades for Algebra 2 and gave me no credit for them but I input them when I applied to the UC’s. I called the application center and asked her if this affected my ELC and if I wasn’t supposed to input those grades since I got no credit for them and they were zeroed out by my school all she told me was “if it’s on your transcript then you have to put the grades in”. Which I know and I did. She was of no help. So basically my question is, was I wrong to input those grades? Because they clearly affected my ELC even though I received no credit for them since I retook the class and passed with two A’s.

There are 2 ways to be ELC eligible: Through the local path, meaning your HS or the statewide path based on your UC score. Here is the calculator to determine the statewide path.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/

You did fill in the application correctly, but ELC eligible only guarantees that if you are not accepted into your choice UC’s, you will be offered a spot at UC Merced usually (if there is room) and sometimes UCR. You can get accepted into any UC without being ELC eligible, so no worries.

That makes sense. Thank you!