Confused about out-of-state tuition?

Okay I’m sorry if there is a thread about this somewhere, but I am SO CONFUSED about out-of-state tuition and things (if I end up going to a UC campus in the fall).
I know that some schools (like UCLA), the tuition for students out-of-state is extremely high. On the school site, it suggested it might even be around $55,000 with room & board, tuition, books, etc.

My family is extremely poor. Like, we maybe get around $10,000 a year. Just maybe. And I know that most UC campuses want RICH out-of-state students.

So if I apply FAFSA and a Pell Grant (I’m assuming I’ll at least get a bit of money from both), does that mean that I can’t use them at all towards UC?

Do they want their out-of-state students to pay in full? And does that mean that I shouldn’t apply for financial aid until March or so? Or do they not want their out-of-state students to ask for loans?

I’m so sorry if this is a bit fragmented. I’m sick and quite tired, haha. But if you could answer this question, it’d be much appreciated :slight_smile:

The UC’s will offer little to no financial aid to OOS students. And yes, the UC’s are going to cost $50,000+ for OOS’s. Don’t forget you also need to include the cost of travel back and forth-it is very expensive and generally not worth it. Why do you want UC’s and what state are you in?

FASFA is not financial aid. It is a form that is used to calculate if your eligible for financial aid. UC’s are very expensive if you include tuition/room/board and extra OOS tuition ($23K) it does come out to about $55,000. Financial aid such as Cal Grants/Blue and Gold Plan/Middle Class scholarshps are only for California residents and since the UC’s are funded by California taxpayers, then California residents will get the bulk of FA. You will be eligible for loans up to a total of $27 for 4 years and anything you get from the Pell Grant. The rest of the UC’s costs would come from Parent Plus Loans (taken out by your parents) which would be a very large sum. The simple truth is yes, UC’s want full pay OOS students. If you cannot afford their cost, it really is not worth applying.

No matter where you go you should complete a FAFSA as soon as it is available and submit it to all of the schools to which you apply. Each school will use that information to determine your eligibility for financial aid. If you are not set on UC’s but just want California, you might check out some privates like University of San Diego which can offer a lot to top students.

I agree with @takeitallin: If you want California schools, you need to target privates which will give you more FA and merit aid (if you qualify) than any California publics.

Well it’s really silly…my family never visits places. Never takes family trips. But I do remember one time, several years ago (when I was about 9 years old), when we got to go to California.
Long story short, I got lost and stumbled onto the UCLA campus. They were just so friendly, and I guess I just kind of got my mind set on going to any UC campus. Provided that I could haha.

Anyways, this has officially bummed me out. Since there will be no financial aid, this basically means I’m screwed then, right?

I’m from Nebraska. But will that affect me in any way?

I’m sorry for all the questions. I’m a first generation college student from my family, and we really have no idea when it comes to financial aid and loans and such (my school counselor is not very effective).

I don’t know what your stats are but definitely look at privates. Your EFC (expected family contribution) as determined by the FAFSA would probably be 0 if the income is under 10,000. Look for schools that meet need. Remember that without a cosigner you are limited to borrowing $25,000 over 4 years so you want to try to get as much money as possible from the school.

We get a number of students from OOS or international applying to the California publics (UC’s and California State schools) without really looking at the costs involved. Many assume the financial aid will just appear with the applications that they have filled out; most students don’t know that the colleges dispense the FA, and for California, that means California kids, whose parents have been supporting the UC/CSU’s through their taxes, get the scholarships, loans and work study.

FYI: Our state also has thousands of first generation and low-income students, so there is no shortage of disadvantaged students who want spaces at the UC’s

As above, try the privates, but these schools are being overwhelmed by OOS students who want a free ride.

SimplyMagicalHA, apply to Pepperdine, Loyola and a host of other privates. If your family is poor as you suggest then none of them are going to expect you to pay assuming you have the grades.