Cons of appealing to a UC?

<p>I go to a really small competitive school and none of the alumni I know have ever appealed. My counselors just said they “highly don’t recommend” appealing unless you have something really good to say or you took a 180 turn on your life. They didn’t tell me why…</p>

<p>Do you lose another $60-70 for sending it in?
And since appeals don’t tell you whether you get in or not more than a month later, that’d mean you’d have to file in enrollment/housing payments to the back up school you did get accepted to, but if you find out you made it in to the school you appealed to, do you at least get any refunds from your back up school? :frowning: (lengthy sentence, sorry) </p>

<p>Anything else I should be aware of?</p>

<p>It doesn’t cost anything to appeal. I think your counselors just don’t want you to waste your time (or the time of those who have to do the recommendation letters) or get your hopes up since so few get in on appeal. Yes, if you make any preliminary payments (first housing payment, SIR, ect), there is good chance that you won’t get a refund if you get in on appeal. You might also get last priority for housing. On the flip-side, you will have gotten into that school which you really want to go to.</p>

<p>It doesn’t cost anything to appeal, so it is always worth a shot.</p>