Cons of Phillips Exeter Academy?

Hi! I was recently accepted to Phillips Exeter Academy (transferring as a sophomore). Currently, I am deciding between my current school and Exeter but I’m having a difficult time making a decision when I have never been on the campus before. Can any current or past Exeter students fill me in on some of the cons/negative moments they experienced at the school? I know that Exeter is AMAZING in terms of academics, facilities, staff, etc but I want to be fully informed of my decision instead of just staying in a honeymoon phase. Thank you!

2 Likes

You should go to one of the visit days if possible.

1 Like

I am planning to! However due to my schedule I am not sure if I can attend- that’s why I’m mainly relying on virtual tours and online advice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sorry if this might be personal, but do you mind telling us which state you live in?

2 Likes

You will become a small fish in a big pond. You may not like the stress that comes with excelling at a place like this. Colleges downstream may assess you on tougher yardstick before giving you admission – i.e., some of the grading (to get into college) is absolute, while some is relative to your local peer group. You may not like living away from family.

3 Likes

California!

1 Like

If you don’t like cold weather that would be a con.

3 Likes

me too, what part? i’m also tranferring as a sophomore.

OMG crazy! I’ll pm you!

1 Like

True! I am in LOVE with snow though, so I think I can manage!

1 Like

My son goes to Exeter from California and he loves the weather. He really appreciates getting to experience a New England fall and the snow doesn’t bother him.

2 Likes