Construction & Developments News

<p>I like the copper-top dome.</p>

<p>And for those looking at the second link better aerial view of the Science and Engineering Complex…those buildings in the upper left quadrant of the pic…the ones that look like a mouthful of teeth…are the Riverside Honors Residential Halls…close to the SEC.
Then, to the left of Riverside dorms, in the upper left corner of the pic, you can see a bit of Lakeside Residential Hall.</p>

<p>If I’m looking at this pic correctly, this shot must have been taken last year because I don’t see the new dorm that has gone up to the right of Rose Tower (Rose is the tall bldg in the upper left quadrant and will get torn down this summer). The new dorm has gone up to the right of Rose and will open this Fall. And, then a new dorm will be built on Rose’s former spot.</p>

<p>The Black Warrior River can be seen running across the top between the trees.</p>

<p>Phase III of the SEC isn’t shown in this pic…probably because at the time, it wasn’t complete…it is now to the left of the pic. And the current construction of Phase IV would also be to the left of the pic.</p>

<p>The pic is featuring buildings that are in the north section of the campus.</p>

<p>So thrilled they are going to have new engineering classrooms and labs…any idea if they are investing $$$ into lab equipment, computers, etc.? I got an engineering degree many years ago (not from UA) and the lab equipment at my school was old and obsolete…just hoping UA held some money back for updated equipment.</p>

<p>;) Nah…they’re just going to put some old crappy stuff in…jk</p>

<p>When I’ve walked thru the new SEC, it’s all brand new stuff in there…nice and shiny and new.</p>

<p>There’s some pics in either this thread or the other threads of some lab equipment and stuff…Atlanta probably knows where those are.</p>

<p>You joke…but a lot of universities would do just that -I’ve seen it first hand. I’m jealous of my son (in a loving, motherly way) and want to turn the clock back several years (decades?) so I can go back to college. :)</p>

<p>(Edited to add: …without the homework, studying and tests. I just want to hang out at the quad and read a book, go to all the football games, and float around in the lazy river - oh and enjoy the awesome dorms!)</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>When the budgets have been mentioned for one Phase or another, I don’t know if those numbers were for the building only or for the whole shebang…the structure, lab equipment, technology equipment, landscaping, etc. </p>

<p>That said, it looks like a bunch of new stuff is going in. :slight_smile: But, some of the more-recently purchased or irreplaceable stuff would logically get moved in as well. </p>

<p>I recall Feeno or someone else mentioning that in one of the older buildings, there is some very large (not new, but still usable) piece of equipment that would be difficult to move. I can’t remember what the decision was with that. I think instead of moving it…things are being remodeled around it??? Feeno???</p>

<p>If anyone knows…what’s going on with the remodel and addition of Russell Hall (former nursing building) and the building next to it? What will they be used for? When will they be complete?</p>

<p>Russell Hall will be a general classroom building, like Lloyd Hall. The budding behind it is a new utilities plant (to generate hot and cold water and steam).</p>