Construction Management?

In that case - you can ignore what I wrote. When a kid is that specific for a couple of years, it doesn’t tend to change that much.

Good luck. There are advantages and disadvantages in having a kid who knows what they want.

My younger S fulfilled it with AP Art History. It was done online through virtual Virginia. His was during school hours, but maybe it could be done in addition? His senior year, he technically had 9 classes in 8 periods because two were online AP during the same period.

Edit - I’m also a Virginia Tech CE so of course I pull for them!

I’ll add this to our list - thank you! It would make a fun bookend - my sister and BIL met at ECU, we could say we have the state covered. :wink: In all seriousness, I think he’s going to find that most of the schools that fit the bill for him are not particularly close to an urban center. Which, really, is fine. As long as there is some sort of college town - because who has time to actually GO to those cities? No one!

1 Like

He’ll need one year of Area F classes. This trips some applicants up. I wouldn’t count on a waiver. They recommend 2 years for Cal Poly, but he’ll likely get the maximum rigor points with his other coursework, so it won’t matter.

My son is a ME alum. He had a great experience there.

That said, hiring is typically pretty local. If he wants to go back home, he might be better served with a VT degree. It’ll be cheaper too.

I give my BFF total crap all the time as she is All Things UW. so this would make me eat my words, but I supposed I could be a grown up about it. :wink: Thank you!

1 Like

Clemson is on our list. It’s a popular school for kids from our HS so this one was conveniently already on the radar. Thank you!

I just wish he wanted something more general. Where I could be all “look at all these amazing in state and less expensive programs! Fall in love with one of these!” I’m not sure VA Tech is the right fit for him (awfully large school) but I’m really hoping it is. Just want some alternatives in case it isn’t.

Oh! I didn’t think of AP Art History. Maybe he could do that. I’m trying to not feel cranky with Tech. My older boy got in to WPI, Case Western, RPI, Lehigh, Purdue, Pitt/Engineering and got waitlisted at Tech. We’re in state! At the end of the day, it was probably for the best, it would’ve been hard to ignore the cost savings and I think Tech would not have been the right fit for him. But for that to be the only school he didn’t get in to was surprising to us. I just need to remind myself - younger son is different from older son; younger son’s application will be different, his interests and needs are different, his experience will be different.

One thing going in Tech’s favor - the food is terrible where my older son ended up, and we keep hearing how good the food is at Tech. After hearing Son1 complain All Winter Break Long about undercooked chicken, good quality food is becoming an important selling point for Son2. :slight_smile:

If you think he will like CO, then have him look at Montana and Utah. I don’t know about the majors related they offer, but they might check off a bunch of his other boxes.

Haha! Lots of UW love where I live too. Unfortunately, for out of-staters, tuition is quite expensive.

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo! Pacific Ocean is 15 minutes away, maybe, and it’s nestled into the mountains:

The CM major is considered prestigious around these parts. D21 attends and one of her BF’s is a CM major.

ABET-accreditation is super important for some fields (like civil engineering) but not nearly as important as others. I doubt it’s overly important for construction management, but I don’t know. There are, however, 33 ABET-accredited programs in Construction Management.

Based on your son’s interests, I’d look at:

• Arizona State (behemoth but good merit aid)

• U. of New Mexico: Its Albuquerque location is definitely a city with lots of nearby outdoor opportunities, and with about 16k undergrads, it’s less than half the size of Virginia Tech. Your son would be likely to get very good merit aid here. I don’t know how they’re computing it, but it also claims a 13:1 student/faculty ratio, so class sizes might be much more approachable.

• North Carolina A&T: I’ve heard some great things about this HBCU, especially for your son’s interests. Sticker price will bring you to Virginia Tech costs, and merit aid may be available as well. Not as accessible to nature areas as Appalachian State, but not far.

• UNC – Charlotte: Tons of construction and growth in the Charlotte area, and similarly to A&T, not too far from nature areas.

• Norwich (VT): This school has about 3k undergrads and will have lots of small classes. And Vermont has stellar outdoors opportunities.

• Western Carolina, already mentioned upthread, is also ABET-accredited.

There are 82 schools that have construction management or similar as a Bachelor’s degree.

• Bradley (IL): Not exactly an outdoors mecca, but it seems like a school that might be a good fit. There are about 4300 undergrads here.

• John Brown (AR): This is a university where my sense is that religion plays an important role. If that works for your son, this school with about 1800 undergrads would provide lots of attention for him and he’d be near the Ozarks.

• Ohio Northern: Again, not exactly the ideal place for an outdoors enthusiast, but I think your son would get lots of attention here and I’ve heard a number of people speaking positively about this one. About 2400 undergrads here.

• Roger Williams (RI): This school of about 4200 undergrads is right by the water for sailing and other activities.

• SUNY Environmental Science & Forestry: This school is small and niche (about 1600 undergrads), but students can also take classes at neighboring Syracuse and participate in its clubs and activities. With an 11:1 student/faculty ratio, your son should get lots of individualized attention.

• U. of Denver (CO): If you think your son is going to fall in love with Colorado, then your family may want to investigate this school. I don’t know if DU mis-categorized, but it listed 0 construction management majors in the most recent graduating class, but this site describes the major it offers. There are about 5900 undergrads here.

If your son’s looking for other big schools that offer the major, then U. of Tennessee has the close proximity to home and mountains, but there’s also Boise State and Northern Arizona if he wants to go further afield.

2 Likes

University of New Mexico offers a BS in Construction Management

UNM is a smaller state U that has a multitude of outdoor activities in and around town, In the Sandia Mountains which are 15 minutes from campus --downhill and X-country skiing, rockclimbing, trail running, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, etc; rafting & kayaking on the Rio Grande. UNM has a 18 hole golf course on campus (right behind the law school) and another PGA Championship course a couple of miles from the South campus.

Albuquerque has 310 sunny days year, a mild climate and is ranked in the top 10 for best high altitude running destinations in US by Outside Magazine.

2 Likes

University of Utah doesn’t offer Constuction Management, only Construction Engineering. Utah State doesn’t offer either contraction management or construction engineering.

University of Montana in Missoula offers a BS in Construction Management.
Montana State in Boseman only offers Construction Engineering Technology.

I believe Weber State offers some Construction Mgmt options.

So does Utah Valley University in Orem.

Thank you - heck, I love the look of Cal Poly SLO!

AustenNut - thank you so much for this really good list and links. Super helpful.

1 Like

What is your college budget? Cal poly SLO offers little to no financial aid to OOS applicants so expect to pay the COA which is currently $50,541.

• He doesn’t want to be too far from a city center, and would prefer closer rather than farther.

Cal Poly SLO is the opposite if he wants to be near a big city. SLO is located on the California Central coast with a small town feel and the closest big city Santa Barbara which is 2 hours away. If he is serious about applying in a few years, make it a point to visit.

1 Like

I agree. The people who don’t like Cal Poly are the ones that want big city things to do, typically students from LA or The Bay. It is isolated. Better or worse depends on your perspective.