Continue at UC Davis with Regents/UHP or transfer to UCLA?

Hi! So last year, I was accepted in both UC Davis and UCLA. I loved UCLA so much. The location was perfect, my family is moving down there in one year, and UCLA had my neuroscience major. However, UC Davis offered substantial scholarships, Regents with an integrated honors program that caters to individual research and small classes that are not offered to other students. UCLA offered me nothing.

So, despite not really liking UC Davis that much, I chose to go, mainly for my family’s financial issues. I still regret it so much. I am still in my first year, and I have tried to open myself up as much I could at the school. I got an internship I’m passionate in, a research position with faculty (I got it myself, not through UHP), a job, and tried going to as many events in my community as possible. However, the social life here is so dreadful. When they say Davis is a farm, it really is true. There is nothing here. I am surrounded by a lot of white and Asian people, and it’s hard to share experiences. I have made a solid friendship with my roommate and RA, but it’s been hard to reach out to others. My roommate is in the same rut, and I understand it’s only first year, but my prediction of how the social life would be going to UC Davis came true.

I have also faced a LOT of administrative issues at UC Davis regarding my disability accommodations. They have tried to push back and take away my accommodations at every turn. I’ve had to bring one several official doctor notes, psychiatric notes, and my mother even had to come in with my psychiatrist to talk frankly to them. It’s been humiliating and exploitative.

I now have a choice to transfer to UCLA. I’m far ahead of my class, with 90 units already in the 2nd quarter, and my gen eds are almost finished. My family will be moving there, so my emotional instability will worsen if I stay in Davis if my family is not nearby. My friend is there. UCLA is a great school. However, UCLA has no official honors program for sciences, I would be sacrificing my internships, research position, and throwing away the honors program UC Davis offered to me (which would give me a transcript notation and a chance to present my research). I am not sure of the opportunities at UCLA for me.

As you can see, I am thriving academically at UC Davis, but suffering a lot. Is it worth to transfer to UCLA though, if it improves my happiness and health? Should I just survive the next 4 years?

Thanks!

Oh, TLDR: thriving at UC Davis academically, not so much any other area, should I transfer to UCLA?

have you been admitted to LA as a transfer?

Nope, I just need to decide now so I can aim my classes to either UCLA or my major. I have a 4.0 GPA currently with 2 research positions, an internship, a job tutoring low income students, and I’m currently applying to a clinic. While my chances to get into UCLA are still slim, they’re not so small.

I’d expect similar, or perhaps even more bureaucracy at LA.

There is no harm in applying - then see where the chips fall. It sounds like you have units to burn so, do both… If they admit you, drive down and see how their accommodations work, spend a day on campus and see if it is still calling your name. If they don’t let you in, no harm, no foul. .

I’m worried for that too. I wonder if it’s worth to go to UCLA and risk my current academic standing with all my ECs.

Do you want to go to graduate school? If so, keeping this opportunities that you have now are priceless. You are extremely lucky in that respect.

Can you graduate early? If you are ahead, can you concentrate on your schooling and graduate in 3 years? Maybe summer classes?

Are there similar opportunities that match what you have at UCD? Do you qualify for them?

Are you seeing a counselor to help with your “emotional instability”?

Have you talked to the transfer center at Davis or met with your advisor?

You don’t have to answer any of these publicly, they’re just questions I had when reading your post.

@NCalRent is correct about the bureaucracy of UCLA. It’s not going to be easier when it comes to accommodations or anything else, unfortunately.

Honestly, given your great opportunities at UCD I would stay where you are and just try to get out of there ASAP. It might take some work, but I believe you can adjust and thrive in other areas at UCD, too.

I can definitely graduate in 3 years my adviser said, on the track I’m going. Thanks for the advice! I’m just not sure UCLA has mirror opportunities, so you have a point!