Continuing Student Financial Aid

My son is a current freshman.

Does anyone know when the financial aid awards be posted for continuing students? Even approximate month, from those who are already continuing students, would be helpful. We are interested in how much of his financial aid will be federal loans.

They have already started, but will continue for a few months. My son still has another scholarship pending from Mays that has not yet posted, it renews each year so I know they’re not done yet. You will see on the FA portal your standings change as scholarships are posted ( students have to accept them) then they will post parent loan amounts later. I check the portal once a week to see what is on it from now until I pay the tuition bill - we did get one late scholarship, so I always check! Good luck!

My son spoke to the Financial Aid department today and they said most continuing student scholarships would start posting in early May. We too have been waiting. We didn’t get just a whole lot his first year, but every penny helps. Looking at an empty scholarship page in Howdy is quite disheartening.

There is a FB page: Texas A&M Scholarships & Financial Aid. It said,
“Continuing student scholarship offers have been awarded.
Awarded students were sent a notification email to their TAMU account.
Recipients have until June 1, 2015, to accept their scholarship offer. If the offer is not accepted by June1, it will be withdrawn.”
It is my understanding these are the university wide ones, not all of them.

Thanks @AGmomx2 for posting. This is not what they told my son. We are a bit concerned as my son did not receive anything in his Howdy portal. He did get a few his freshman year, but nothing is showing now. I know they are selective but my son worked very hard to not only earn a 4.0 GPA, but also participate in the Honors Program, joined several on campus clubs and was even selected to participate in the Engineering Event Weekend. I cannot imagine my son being able to do anything more and still carry the 17 hours he’s taking. This is very disappointing. He really loves TAMU, but even UT offered him much more before his freshman year. I really hope they haven’t given out everything. This could seriously impact my son.

Here’s the latest update from the FB site:

“Clarification to earlier post on Continuing Scholarships:
Scholarships & Financial Aid awards a number of Continuing Scholarships each year. (approx. 600) Those awards have been offered. However, there are many departmental scholarships that will not be awarded until after grades post in May. Some scholarships do not post until as late as July. These are scholarships that our department has no control over.
We apologize if our post confused some followers. Our intention is to inform, update and clarify, not confuse. We welcome questions!”

Thanks @AGmomx2. Part of the reason they posted the note on Facebook was based on an email and post I made on Facebook. My son spoke to someone this week and was given conflicting information about what scholarships were still pending. He is dismayed that nothing has shown for next year. He loves TAMU and has worked extremely hard both academically and outside of class to better himself and also work with others in College Station. I cannot imagine what else he could do to better position himself for scholarships. Its hard for me to believe that a kid who is on the Dean’s Honor Roll, has a 4.0 GPA with 15+ hours, part of the University Honors Program, joined multiple on campus clubs, has volunteered for a several community service projects and was even selected to participate in the Aggie’s Invent weekend (one of few freshman) is not qualified for ONE scholarship. Really? Not even ONE! Something is wrong.

Financial Aid posted today that continuing scholarships are being input to howdy financial aid accounts today. System is estimated to be up at 5pm.

A trick I learned last year is to login in to Financial Aid portal through Howdy on the mobile app. I can see my son’s financial aid now even thought the web portal is still down.

We can see the continuing scholarships via the mobile app only right now.

Has anyone been awarded an Engineering scholarship during this process? We cannot tell if they have awarded all department scholarships.

The Mays department scholarships have not yet been added. The recent round was most likely just need based university wide scholarships. Our parent loan entry is not online yet (non-need).

Have any continuing COE students received department scholarships yet?

We haven’t seen anything from the department yet.

Mays Scholarships posted today on ours.

My son received two continuing scholarships thus far. One for Top 10% and another one called CLEN UG DT Scholarship. I think this may mean all scholarships are awarded.

Whciv01, Was the CLEN… scholarship out of the college of engineering or the specific engineering school your son is in? These have come late for my son in the past but I was wondering if any had been awarded.

@spectrum2 We are not totally sure. It shows that the CLEN came from the Scholarships and Financial Aid group but we have no idea what criteria was used.

My son also received the CLEN UG DT scholarship from COE. It is for the same amount as the COE scholarship he received last year as a Freshman, so we assumed it just renewed.