Convince my mother?

<p>ACT hater, where in Illinois are you?</p>

<p>2012mom- Springfield area.</p>

<p>M2CK, I believe the idea for transferring is based on me gaining residency while I’m at SEMO, and getting in-state rates. So tuition would be ~10000 a year + housing. </p>

<p>I believe I just set up the visit through the general visit request website. I also filled out the form for an engineering visit. We are leaving Wednesday around 3pm and are scheduled for the 1pm general visit on Thursday. We will be leaving Friday morning.</p>

<p>Nick…</p>

<p>You need to contact the ladies below and tell them about your plans. Did eng’g ever contact you? </p>

<p>the email include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)</p>

<p>Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard.</p>

<p>*believe the idea for transferring is based on me gaining residency while I’m at SEMO, and getting in-state rates. So tuition would be ~10000 a year + housing. *</p>

<p>Getting residency while your parents live elsewhere and you’re a full-time student isn’t easy.</p>

<p>However, even if you’re able to do that, instate COA is still going to be about $25k per year…tuition, fees, housing, room, books, etc. How will that get paid?</p>

<p>ACThater - there is a huge network of Illinois kids at UA. The parents are very close, too. Most of us live closer to the Chicago area, although my son’s RM is from Normal. I was going to suggest that you and your mom come watch the Sugar Bowl with us at our viewing party in Downers Grove, where you both could talk to a large group of parents and students that will be there, but that’s quite a hike for you unless you’d be coming north for another reason and could combine the trip.</p>

<p>I don’t think we will be going up anytime soon, but thanks for the offer! Thank you SO much for everything!</p>

<p>I honestly do not know. Mizzou is my first choice, but bama is a much better deal. Much, much better. And I’d wager that it is similar to mizzou in many ways.</p>

<p>Post #13 scares me. My advice is to always do things right the first time around: i.e., make the best decision now (for the long term), rather than make 1 decision now hoping that another decision later (a transfer) will make things work. Too much happens over the next 2-3 years in your life to make certain that a transfer will eventuate, let alone have the same financial benefits that you think will still be there for you.</p>

<p>From one clingy Illinois mother to another. While it is true that Alabama is far away. Freshman year first term is tough because we can’t run up to campus on a Saturday and hug the homesickness away. Second semester an amazing thing happens and while they are still homesick, they are too busy and involved to leave for the weekend and a short visit is enough to stay connected. We have it scheduled to see our DD every 5 weeks. This is one visit from us to UA and one visit home for her during the semester. We have an older DD at Iowa and this schedule works the same whether they go to Alabama or stay within a 3 hour radius. Skype is fantastic, FB keeps you in touch with thier activities and you can go visit them in Feb/March when Illinois is a Frozen Hell! Visiting UA is GREAT in Feb/March - Illinois and Iowa…Not So Much!</p>

<p>Nickm56 may well end up at Alabama…after all, how could you NOT consider an offer for full out of state tuition plus $2,500 towards housing (per yr), from what many consider to be a great all-around school? There ARE other possible, very good options for Nickm56, however, and ALL scholarship and financial aid options need to be received and considered before making a final decision in April. A key here is that there are various scholarship deadlines (non-institutional) coming up in Jan/Feb and a very good effort on those is important; you just never know how things will end up! Nickm56 has wanted to attend Mizzou for several years, but he may be BAMA bound… we’ll see a few months from now. Thank you for the comments, suggestions, and advice. P.S. Believe me, if Nick’s mom had absolutely no intention of “letting” him attend UA, she would NOT be taking him there to visit (18 hr round trip) six days prior to Christmas! :slight_smile: Oh, and yes, she knows about Skype ;)</p>

<p>Post #13 scares me. My advice is to always do things right the first time around: i.e., make the best decision now (for the long term), rather than make 1 decision now hoping that another decision later (a transfer) will make things work. Too much happens over the next 2-3 years in your life to make certain that a transfer will eventuate, let alone have the same financial benefits that you think will still be there for you.</p>

<p>I agree. States are always “toughening up” req’ts when they see that people are manipulating the system. This student could start at that “lower Missouri” school and then the rules could change…and then be stuck there.</p>

<p>OP: When you say Illinois I assume you mean Chicago area? Southern Illinois is not really that far from Alabama.</p>

<p>My freshman daughter did not come home at all during the semester. She went to Florida for Thanksgiving break. She got back home on Wednesday of last week and immediately drove to Champaign (U of I) and spent 4 days pestering all of her HS friends who have final exams this week. She also told them that it is 40-50 degrees in Tuscaloosa and the ground was not covered with this cold, wet stuff we find ourselves sloshing through.</p>

<p>Today it is sunny in Tuscaloosa. You do need longsleeves or a hoodie, but it is beautiful today.</p>

<p>OP is from the central portion of IL, definitely not Chicago area and definitely not “southern IL”.</p>

<p>^^ I see now. I missed the post that said they were from Springfield.</p>

<p>Waves Hi to Nickm56’s mom!</p>

<p>Bama has so many breaks throughout the school year make sure she knows that! I’ll be a freshman there next year but my brother goes there and the longest he’s gone from not being home is 3 months!</p>

<p>slippy2000, I’m not a clingy mom! Here’s the whole story. My son hasn’t even visited the UA campus, yet believes it will be the best fit for him. His ability to go to UA solely depends on him getting a higher ACT score. Our family income has taken a huge hit this year and I’m looking for the best school at the cheapest price. Right now, he has the opportunity to get 4 yrs full tuition in state. Force the issue all you want, slippy2000. Here’s the deal. If you are financing 100% of your education, you can decide 100% where you want to go. I won’t sign ANY student loans for my son, and he is bright enough to get scholarships but isn’t applying. If he gets the score he needs to get the scholarship from UA, then we will visit the campus. If he doesn’t, he won’t go. End of story. Young people need to realize that college is about getting a degree at the cheapest price. It isn’t all about the ‘college experience.’</p>

<p>I disagree. Even if I do have in state at SIU-Carbondale that doesn’t mean I’m obligated to go there. I visited and didn’t like the school. At all. Why would I go somewhere I don’t feel comfortable and where I’m going to be spending the next 4 years of my life. And also, this thread was created assuming I got a 30 on the December test. I’m not trying to convince my mom to let me go if I don’t get it. I completely understand. It’s simply out of our price range. I just wanted some reasons that would make my mom feel more comfortable about Alabama. And no, my mom isn’t “clingy”. She just wants the best for me and wants to see me succeed in life.</p>