Core Requirement Question

<p>I apologize if this question has already been answered. S will be an engineering major. The requirements are as follows: </p>

<p>Nine semester hours of humanities, literature, and fine arts (HU, L, & FA) area courses, six semester hours are required in a discipline (EH, PHL, for example).** A six-hour depth (or sequence) study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB.** There are no mandatory general education requirements for literature or fine arts except as required for a specific engineering program.</p>

<p>Nine semester hours of courses in the areas of history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) , to include six semester hours in a discipline (HY, EC, for example). ** A six-hour depth study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB. History may be included in depth courses. **</p>

<p>My question is regarding the sentences in bold. Are there two separate 6 hr depth studies requirements? If yes, can these requirements be satisfied with 4 classes (12 hrs) in same discipline such as 12 hours of econ (SB)? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I am bumping this up. My husband and I are confused about this as well.</p>

<p>There is only ONE 6 hour sequence requirement…</p>

<p>Note the “either” and the “or” in the sentences. :)</p>

<p>Thanks M2CK. That make sense and is what I thought…but then started to confuse myself with the requirement being repeated for both humanities and SB.</p>

<p>Yes it’s mentioned in both sections because the sequence can be completed within either section. </p>

<p>It might be more clear if that passage is set between the two sections.</p>

<p>For those coming in with AP US or Euro History credits, the sequence is complete because either one provides 6 credits of HI…sequence.</p>

<p>For those who didn’t take the AP History US or Euro exam, you might consider taking CLEPs to get the credits/sequence.</p>

<p>Would AP World and AP US fulfill the sequence?</p>

<p>I do know for Business students AP World History (6 credits) fulfills their needed History or Literature sequence :)</p>

<p>Not sure anymore about AP World. For past incoming frosh, it counted for:</p>

<p>World History 3 HY 101 and 102 6 HI</p>

<p>However, now the new undergrad catalog says…</p>

<p>World History 3 TRGS HI 6 HI</p>

<p>So, you’d have to ask if it will count as a sequence for this year’s frosh. Have no idea of why things changed.</p>

<p>^That is my concern. We thought AP World and US would fulfill my S’s history requirement as it did my D’s 2 years ago. It is too late for him to fit AP Euro into his senior schedule as he chose to apply for a year long Leadership class instead. One good thing is that if he has to take HI 101 and 102 he loves history and should do very well in it and would help his GPA. We were just hoping to be able to use all of his history credits.</p>

<p>Do you have a suggestion as to who I could email about this question?</p>